5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New member on the fence between 1500 and Tundra...

Awd1990tsi

Reaction score
I should start this off by saying, I have no experience with Toyota. However, I was so blown away by the 2019 ram 1500 that I traded in my 2017 Ram 1500, with 7,600 miles to get the 2019. I loved my 17, and I didn’t expect the 19 to feel or be much different. But all the little improvements added up to a noticeably better truck in my opinion. It’s very comfortable, and very quiet. I only have around 300 miles on it so far, so I can’t say I’ve really bonded with the truck yet. Although, aside from the fuel mileage being a bit lower than my 2017 was(3.92 gears in the 19’ 3.21’s in the 17’), I haven’t been happier with a new vehicle than I am with my 2019.

4sallypat

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with the lighter interior at all and of course a matter of opinion/taste but I'd say in my opinion the black/new saddle is probably the nicest interior combination on the 2019.
I am going for either the saddle brown or mountain tan/frost interior.

Not much for the black interiors - looks too depressing for me plus it's too hot temperature wise in sunny southern Calif.....

Kramersp

Reaction score
The tundra is super reliable. It's probably the most reliable half ton you can buy. The problem is, it hasn't had any real change aside from a little sheet metal and interior plastics since 2007. Same frame, engines, transmissions, basic suspension, ect. Low tech, lots of hard plastic inside the truck, rides like a 10 year old truck, sucks gas like a 10 year old truck. The Ram you are taking a bit of a risk with FCA's shaky reliability record but I say it's worth it. Every day I drive my 1500 limited I have a smile on my face. I love it. Feels like a real 21st century luxury truck.

chance21

Reaction score
The tundra is super reliable. It's probably the most reliable half ton you can buy. The problem is, it hasn't had any real change aside from a little sheet metal and interior plastics since 2007. Same frame, engines, transmissions, basic suspension, ect. Low tech, lots of hard plastic inside the truck, rides like a 10 year old truck, sucks gas like a 10 year old truck. The Ram you are taking a bit of a risk with FCA's shaky reliability record but I say it's worth it. Every day I drive my 1500 limited I have a smile on my face. I love it. Feels like a real 21st century luxury truck.

Exactly what Kramersp said. I came from a 2012 Tundra Limited and Tundras just can't compare to the modern truck market. What I will give to Toyota, that is noticeably below expectation in my Longhorn, is fit and finish. And it's the small things like dash speaker grills not sitting flush, a fender flare not attached correctly, drivers door lock knob sticking, and a door panel trim piece missing on delivery. Those small things might be the norm for some or even most manufacturers, but I never experienced them, nor have ever heard of that type of thing with a Tundra.

All that being said. I love my Ram and am very happy to drive it every day.

Awd1990tsi

Reaction score
Exactly what Kramersp said. I came from a 2012 Tundra Limited and Tundras just can't compare to the modern truck market. What I will give to Toyota, that is noticeably below expectation in my Longhorn, is fit and finish. And it's the small things like dash speaker grills not sitting flush, a fender flare not attached correctly, drivers door lock knob sticking, and a door panel trim piece missing on delivery. Those small things might be the norm for some or even most manufacturers, but I never experienced them, nor have ever heard of that type of thing with a Tundra.

All that being said. I love my Ram and am very happy to drive it every day.

As much as I hate to say it, as I work for FCA, these are commonplace problems. Not sure about for other brands, but I know the plant I work in, the supervisors all push quantity over quality. The idea is that the repair areas at the end of the line will fix any issues that get through before they ship.

But in practice sometimes things that could’ve been handled easily by stopping the line while waiting for a part, get missed the entire way through the process and sent out the door.

Thankfully it’s not major issues or safety items. It’s scrathed or missing trim pieces. Still not acceptable in my opinion, but at least not dangerous. And the dealerships should all have no problem getting replacement parts from Chrysler.

chance21

Reaction score
As much as I hate to say it, as I work for FCA, these are commonplace problems. Not sure about for other brands, but I know the plant I work in, the supervisors all push quantity over quality. The idea is that the repair areas at the end of the line will fix any issues that get through before they ship.

But in practice sometimes things that could’ve been handled easily by stopping the line while waiting for a part, get missed the entire way through the process and sent out the door.

Thankfully it’s not major issues or safety items. It’s scrathed or missing trim pieces. Still not acceptable in my opinion, but at least not dangerous. And the dealerships should all have no problem getting replacement parts from Chrysler.

I can understand the principle FCA is pushing. After all it all comes down to the bottom line.

But...

These inconsistencies in production quality show in the sales price dealerships accept during the purchase of the vehicle, as well as the residual value in the vehicles. It's a shame because I think my Ram is a fantastic truck. With a little better QC, and a more honest approach to the first year gremlins, Ram could solidify their brand to match the buzz of being the best, most technologically advanced truck in the market.

jamesfg

Reaction score
Had a 09 Tundra, looked at the new Tundras and the '19 Ram models and Toyota is gotta be 5 years behind on R&D. The new Tundras are extremely similar to the older models and still Toyota wants a king's ransom for them. Interior is far superior on even the base model Ram and technology is way ahead. Final thought, the Ram rides like a luxury car compared to the Tundra. Good luck in your choice.

Naughtyca

Reaction score
I just bought a laramie, i looked at the Tundra too, since i never owned a truck before i am not bias, the Tundra has a re design on 2020, the whole truck from frame to bed and engine will be redesigned, its not a good idea to buy a tundra right now, even my toyota guy said if you're going w tundra lease it since it holds value

Users who are viewing this thread