5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Limited - Horrible Ride

Savagescott

Reaction score
First - thank you to everyone on this forum - I’ve gotten a lot of great info from you as I’ve pondered my new truck purchase.

About that. I picked her up today... black/black Limited, pano, 3.92, ltd slip, body colored bumper, Level 1, BUG, 22s. Couldn’t wait to drive away on that butter-smooth ride and... it felt like a dump truck... and that’s not being fair to the dump truck.... WTF? No where near the smooth ride I remember from my test drives.

Anyone else have similar experience? I’m in Minneapolis where it’s been -25 for 4 days- not sure if that’s a factor. Airride adjusts on command and tire pressure is good at 35.

ajosephngs

Reaction score
I'm just south of you but we've been -20 to -30 this week and my truck felt rough all week. I noticed it most in the suspension and steering. both were extremely stiff. I think you'll feel better after out thaws out. don't panic, yet.

Savagescott

Reaction score
I'm just south of you but we've been -20 to -30 this week and my truck felt rough all week. I noticed it most in the suspension and steering. both were extremely stiff. I think you'll feel better after out thaws out. don't panic, yet.

Man, I hope it gets better or you’ll hear me whimpering from there. A 15 minute drive to dinner on decent but not perfect residential streets and I needed an Advil when I got home because the bouncing and jarring gave me a headache.

NHREBEL2

Reaction score
It almost sounds like your AS has failed. That said, my drive to work this morning was noticeably rougher than usual but not painfully . It was 1 deg above.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would wait to see how it does at more modest temperatures. Mine is a bit rougher riding around at 0 degrees. The tires are a bit harder and the shocks are stiffer in the cold.

clotagames

Reaction score
Have had my truck for three weeks now and it rode fine before the -20 crap. Don't remember it being a big deal on the 2016 with air suspension but do not remember weather like this. Picked my daughter up tonight from work and temp was up to 0 and ride was better. I am sure i did not help myself either with LT replacement tires.

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine was a bit stiffer but definitely not awful. I'm in similar weather as well. As it gets back to normal winter cold, I'd be interested in hearing if your ride is still extremely rough. Something else might be up if so.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Hmmm... Like other's have said, it may be the low temps. I cannot check because I'm in Houston and the coldest I've experienced here so far is around 30 deg, and it rides smooth as butter.

Savagescott

Reaction score
Mine was a bit stiffer but definitely not awful. I'm in similar weather as well. As it gets back to normal winter cold, I'd be interested in hearing if your ride is still extremely rough. Something else might be up if so.

Supposed to warm to “normal “ temps for the weekend so we’ll see. It’s -3 now; certainly not warm but not unusual for January in MN so I’m a little concerned if this is the ride quality I should expect when it gets a little cold.

WasatchBack

Reaction score
First - thank you to everyone on this forum - I’ve gotten a lot of great info from you as I’ve pondered my new truck purchase.

About that. I picked her up today... black/black Limited, pano, 3.92, ltd slip, body colored bumper, Level 1, BUG, 22s. Couldn’t wait to drive away on that butter-smooth ride and... it felt like a dump truck... and that’s not being fair to the dump truck.... WTF? No where near the smooth ride I remember from my test drives.

Anyone else have similar experience? I’m in Minneapolis where it’s been -25 for 4 days- not sure if that’s a factor. Airride adjusts on command and tire pressure is good at 35.
Those all season (no season) tires are hockey pucks at that temperature. Hard as a rock. That is definitively the cause of the harsh ride.

DanSkan

Reaction score
The 22s are a little stiff with reduced sidewall depth and when super cold I'm sure they don't flex much - contributes to the rougher ride.
Also make sure you run through your ride heights to make sure the AS is not malfunctioning and not stuck in entry mode and riding on the stops.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The 22s are a little stiff with reduced sidewall depth and when super cold I'm sure they don't flex much - contributes to the rougher ride.
Also make sure you run through your ride heights to make sure the AS is not malfunctioning and not stuck in entry mode and riding on the stops.
I was in central Pennsylvania last weekend and the temps were low 20s and below. I thought the ride was fine. Maybe a tad stiffer but still nice and comfortable.

S

Smashy71

It’s 100% the cold weather. Most of the trucks sold are sold with summer tires. With those extreme abnormal low temps the tires lose their flexibility and actually cause cracking and greatly reduce traction. Winter tires with Silica will aleviate most of the ride problems and provide better traction.

Savagescott

Reaction score
It’s 100% the cold weather. Most of the trucks sold are sold with summer tires. With those extreme abnormal low temps the tires lose their flexibility and actually cause cracking and greatly reduce traction. Winter tires with Silica will aleviate most of the ride problems and provide better traction.

Took my truck back to the dealer today. They checked it over - couldn’t find anything. I drove another LTD on the lot and I swear I felt a difference.

I took it on a road that’s a little washboard-y but not bad... I could feel the bumps in the loaner but it felt like I was floating over them. In my truck, I felt like I was hitting each bump individually.

The GM (a friend) drove both and said he thought he felt a difference at first but then thought they were probably similar.

They gave me a Laramie to drive for the day while they were looking at mine and I thought that was better than mine, too.

I have no idea what could be causing the difference... the temp is back up to the 20s now so we can’t blame it on cold.

Maybe I’m finally just going crazy...

Savagescott

Reaction score
Took my truck back to the dealer today. They checked it over - couldn’t find anything. I drove another LTD on the lot and I swear I felt a difference.

I took it on a road that’s a little washboard-y but not bad... I could feel the bumps in the loaner but it felt like I was floating over them. In my truck, I felt like I was hitting each bump individually.

The GM (a friend) drove both and said he thought he felt a difference at first but then thought they were probably similar.

They gave me a Laramie to drive for the day while they were looking at mine and I thought that was better than mine, too.

I have no idea what could be causing the difference... the temp is back up to the 20s now so we can’t blame it on cold.

Maybe I’m finally just going crazy...

Went back to drive the dealer’s Ltd again but brought my kids this time. We all agreed the trucks ride the same.

I was hoping to be wowed when I picked it up like I was on my first test drive so I’m feeling a bit disappointed- the ride just doesn’t feel all that special anymore.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Went back to drive the dealer’s Ltd again but brought my kids this time. We all agreed the trucks ride the same.

I was hoping to be wowed when I picked it up like I was on my first test drive so I’m feeling a bit disappointed- the ride just doesn’t feel all that special anymore.
I drove mine around town yesterday and have Bridgestones. Temp was in the mid teens. I thought it was a comfortable ride.

Eric s

Reaction score

I have the same truck with the long bed. I experienced the same thing but after about 500 miles something happened it started riding smoother and now with 1300 miles on it the ride is smooth. It was almost like it was new and everything was stiff just needed to break in. I live in Winnipeg and it is cold like ridiculously cold it is warming up now we have hot summers one extreme to the other and the truck is riding even better now. Give it some time I was to the point in the beginning to swapping out the 22s for 20s glad I waited as the 22 inch rims are so good looking. I think the difference between the 20 inch rim and the 22 inch rim tire choices are only a half a inch side wall difference in the 4th gen it was a inch so not enough to make a difference.

Last edited:
Reactions: MJP

Users who are viewing this thread