5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New License Plate Delays/Shortages (WA State)

mffdvr

Reaction score
Purchased a couple of new vehicles the past 6-weeks (both trade-ins), '21 Laramie (Night Edition) and '21 Porsche Macan, both awaiting license plates obviously, however both dealers stated a massive shortage in new license plates, with estimates ranging from September all the way out to November for when they'll be available and distributed. A couple different hypothesis', each from the different dealerships,: 1) supply chain shortages in aluminum, and/or 2) COVID has impacted the workforce in local prison systems and they can't keep up with demand/output. Any other states / new buyers facing a similar predicament? 🤷‍♂️

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Had a slight delay back in April (Tennessee) on getting plates for a new car. They said their primary holdup was the processing of the paperwork - they were shorthanded due to Covid restrictions. But our dealer just kept giving us renewed temp tags until we got the plate.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I experienced what I would consider the normal delay in getting the plates when I bought my truck back in May. I'm in WA too. It usually takes 3 to 4 weeks when I buy a new vehicle. I bought the truck on May 1 and had the plates before the end of the month.

mffdvr

Reaction score
Sounds about right in both the above cases...and my previous experience(s), but September (for a car purchased in late-June) and potentially October/November for a vehicle purchased in July seem extreme. :eek: They both said, local police and state patrol are aware and won't regulate it, but it gives me the definite creeps. Will look into calling dealership as the date(s) come due to see if they can provide extended paper.

U

User_3336

Had a slight delay back in April (Tennessee) on getting plates for a new car. They said their primary holdup was the processing of the paperwork - they were shorthanded due to Covid restrictions. But our dealer just kept giving us renewed temp tags until we got the plate.
Franklin TN is about a month behind.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Lol that’s exactly where we bought.

U

User_3336

Lol that’s exactly where we bought.
Well, part of that was because the dealer didn't submit the paperwork to the clerk's office until almost a MONTH after the transaction occurred. So, that put the process much more backed up in the queue. The dealer basically lied saying they'd already submitted it, so I called the clerks office and found a different story. The dealer just ignores me at this point. It was Franklin Dodge Ram.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Well, part of that was because the dealer didn't submit the paperwork to the clerk's office until almost a MONTH after the transaction occurred. So, that put the process much more backed up in the queue. The dealer basically lied saying they'd already submitted it, so I called the clerks office and found a different story. The dealer just ignores me at this point. It was Franklin Dodge Ram.
hmm. Guess I'll have to bird-dog that when I get mine (my 2022 rebel is coming from Franklin CDJR). The backup we had in April was from the Ford dealer across the street ('21 Navigator), but it was a DMV delay for sure.

traveller09

Reaction score
Purchased a couple of new vehicles the past 6-weeks (both trade-ins), '21 Laramie (Night Edition) and '21 Porsche Macan, both awaiting license plates obviously, however both dealers stated a massive shortage in new license plates, with estimates ranging from September all the way out to November for when they'll be available and distributed. A couple different hypothesis', each from the different dealerships,: 1) supply chain shortages in aluminum, and/or 2) COVID has impacted the workforce in local prison systems and they can't keep up with demand/output. Any other states / new buyers facing a similar predicament? 🤷‍♂️
Interesting, we bought end of June and had our plates in less than a month.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Have never let the dealer take are of my plates/registration. Always went to the county and did it myself. Only way to know it got done.

66Fuelie

Reaction score
I just licensed my new Ram in Minneapolis area and got my plates same day directly from the DMV.
Tom

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am at 27 days since I bought my truck and my temp tag expires Wednesday. I think the dealer is too blame for the delay. alot of google reviews for the dealer show others have been waiting since Jan for a plate. One guy said he had been there 3 times trying to correct it. If the DMV is truly the issue, don't know why they don't give long temp tags. WTF wants to go back to the dealer every 30 days for another temp tag. I had no idea it would be an option to go to the DMV yourself if bought from the dealer.

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm at 36 days waiting for my plates and registration, and on my second temp tag already. I even told the dealer I wanted to do a transfer from one vehicle to another. I don't think its a backup due to covid, I think the issue lies within the dealers submitting the paperwork.

lkjk

Reaction score
i got my truck in May, live in CO and still don't have the plates

lkjk

Reaction score
what does the dealer say when you ask them?
its the DMV here, the dealer has been reaching out. I have the letters and stuff in my truck in case i get pulled over, but not really worried about it.

Users who are viewing this thread