5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Key FOB

irishwake63

Reaction score
I just purchased a new to me but used 22 Ram 1500 and it only came with one Key remote. My question is how expensive and easy is it to get another and my 2nd question is if i get one with remote start is that already in my vehicle since you can do it from the pay app?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I just purchased a new to me but used 22 Ram 1500 and it only came with one Key remote. My question is how expensive and easy is it to get another and my 2nd question is if i get one with remote start is that already in my vehicle since you can do it from the pay app?
I have a cheap $40 fob off eBay I bought in order to get the remote tailgate release function. Programmed by local locksmith, which I feel charged a bit too much at $140. I've heard others getting them programmed to under $100.

You could also ask the dealer for an extra fob since they came from factory with two. See if they will work with you since you just purchased it

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
funny thing is I turned in my 2020 unexpectedly...dealer called and said your 2023 is in lets do this and off I went. I obviously only had 1 fob on me at the time. I said I can bring the other one back out and was told don't worry about it...kinda sucks for the new owner it was barely used

Loudram

Reaction score
I have a cheap $40 fob off eBay I bought in order to get the remote tailgate release function. Programmed by local locksmith, which I feel charged a bit too much at $140. I've heard others getting them programmed to under $100.

You could also ask the dealer for an extra fob since they came from factory with two. See if they will work with you since you just purchased it
I did the same thing but I paid $99 for a refurbished OEM fob and paid $10 to have it programmed.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I did the same thing but I paid $99 for a refurbished OEM fob and paid $10 to have it programmed.
Where did you have it programmed if you don't mind me asking. Planning on a South Jersey trip and have a FOB that needs programming, $100 plus locally.

Loudram

Reaction score
Where did you have it programmed if you don't mind me asking. Planning on a South Jersey trip and have a FOB that needs programming, $100 plus locally.
Berlin Farmers Market. Indoor/Outdoor flea market. Only open Thursday -Sunday
J R Flood's Locksmith
(856) 753-3552

irishwake63

Reaction score
so what about my earlier question my FOB that came with the truck has no remote start only lock/unlock and horn if I get one with remote start will I have remote start since I think I do if you have the app you can remote start regardless of whats on your FOB

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
so what about my earlier question my FOB that came with the truck has no remote start only lock/unlock and horn if I get one with remote start will I have remote start since I think I do if you have the app you can remote start regardless of whats on your FOB
Get one and try it. If the remote start doesn't work, might just need to make a couple changes with alfaOBD. But at the least, you will have a working keyfob to lock/unlock doors

Nightowl

Reaction score
I ordered a aftermarket fob from Amazon. Locksmith wanted $105 to program and then wasn't able to do it. So I want to the dealer and they charged me $75. Never thought the dealer would be cheaper.

Jako

Reaction score
FYI

Last edited:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
FYI
Why are you posting a link to an earlier post in this very thread?

U

User_3336

FYI
This is the same exact forum we're currently in . . . . .

LOL @ HSKR R/T. I didn't read to the bottom. Was sort of scratchin' my head for a sec. Don't guess JAKO had his coffee yet when he posted that! LOL

Jako

Reaction score
This is the same exact forum we're currently in . . . . .

LOL @ HSKR R/T. I didn't read to the bottom. Was sort of scratchin' my head for a sec. Don't guess JAKO had his coffee yet when he posted that! LOL
:eek::oops:

:sleep:, CRS, CRAFT and no :coffee: :confused:. How many posts did you read before you realized it? LOL

I'm fairly certain there are a few posts on the FOB. I need to do a FOB post compilation! AND let the coffee kick in. :)

Or how about this for an excuse?
Wife walked into room and interrupted my posting! A few have used the wife as an excuse on the 5th Gen Forum.

My apologies to any members who reread the thread.

Updated July 13th additional forums.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread