5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New hitch design?!

alexharrel

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I just now noticed when going to hook a trailer up to my 1500 for the first time that there is an entire new hitch design with this strange block design for the chain hooks. The hooks don’t hang on it right at all. Can anyone explain why Ram did this? Please also post pictures if you use a chain that works better or has different hooks/anchors.

thank in advance

Attachments

• 937E7F29-FB8A-4D50-A69A-9FACCBFE3440.jpeg
    937E7F29-FB8A-4D50-A69A-9FACCBFE3440.jpeg
    71.6 KB · Views: 103

NoMoFoMoCo

Reaction score
I don't have any pics yet, but I use the holes in the "bottom" of the block. I face my hooks toward the block and clip them in. Then I rotate them as I pinch the gate clip on the hooks to unhook them. I don't know if that makes any sense. I'll try to take some pics for you.

This all goes to my theory that many of the design engineers that worked on the 1500 aren't really "truck" people.

834k3r

Reaction score
I don't have any pics yet, but I use the holes in the "bottom" of the block. I face my hooks toward the block and clip them in. Then I rotate them as I pinch the gate clip on the hooks to unhook them.
I second this. I have the square holes for chains and I've had zero issues with hooking my chains or even my carabiner-equipped brake cable.

Shark875

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I just now noticed when going to hook a trailer up to my 1500 for the first time that there is an entire new hitch design with this strange block design for the chain hooks. The hooks don’t hang on it right at all. Can anyone explain why Ram did this? Please also post pictures if you use a chain that works better or has different hooks/anchors.

thank in advance
I agree I miss the old style and liked it so much better. only thing I can think of is the new (more square style) seems a bit more heavy duty but is definitely not as easy to hook large style safety chains to

Users who are viewing this thread