5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New here and to Ram

O'Town Ram

I know less and less about more and more
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Welcome. I too gave up on my GMC Denalis due to mechanical issues. Love the new Ram.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
So tell us about your deal and trim level... Bet you are glad to get rid of their (GM v8) problematic version of cylinder deactivation... I know the hemi has it yet I don't read anything about issues with it as compared to multiple horror stories and countless YT videos on it.

Pikeman_66

Reaction score
Checking in from Maryland. Picked up a new 24 Ram 1500 about a month ago. First Ram coming from beung a lifelong GM guy. So far loving the truck. Don't regret leaving GM one bit so far.
well it is great to see I am not alone here; I too have been driving Silverado's for 20 plus years and just ordered a 2025 Ram. to say I am anxious is an understatement I do not do change well. lol

Threesuns1

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Checking in from Maryland. Picked up a new 24 Ram 1500 about a month ago. First Ram coming from beung a lifelong GM guy. So far loving the truck. Don't regret leaving GM one bit so far.
Welcome, from a fellow Marylander. As others have stated tell us about your truck and post some pics. Also, set a signature that will show at the bottom of each of your posts describing your truck and any mods you do to it. (It's very helpful if you ask questions in the future)

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Its the AFM in their V8’s thats scary… No idea what the percentage of their engines have had problems yet theres a lot of articles and videos on it.

Reference site autocornerd.com
”In 2019-2021 (March) Chevy vehicles, AFM lifters had gone even worse that the vehicles seem to be failing under 10,000 miles.

One user says this:

“6,272 miles on my 2021 Trail Boss and it’s in with a failed lifter right now. Seems a bit early for this type of major failure.”
Another user says this:

“2020 Silverado 5.3- Knocking, check engine (emissions warning), Service ECS, parking brake. Took it in this morning and haven’t gotten the official diagnosis yet, but the technician said this combination sounds like lifter failure. I bought the truck several months ago with 8k

And from site pickuptalk.com:

“General Motors V-8 engines are no stranger to lifter problems. Owners of GM V-8 engines with Active Fuel Management (AFM) have dealt with stuck and collapsed lifters for years. But it seems a new round of lifter woes are hitting GM truck engines with relatively low mileage.

The GM lifter problems affect both the 2019-2021 Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra pickups as well as their GMT T1XX platform SUV siblings, the Chevrolet Tahoe, Chevrolet Suburban, GMC Yukon and Cadillac Escalade.

“On the older trucks, you would see issues around the 50-100k range, whereas a lot of the new trucks’ failures are in the 4-digit mileage range,” said a dealership technician who wishes to remain anonymous. “We are seeing about one every other week, and just last week had three towed in on one day.”
(End of quoted articles)

These are just two website examples. Not saying GM has a Ferd 6.0 or 6.4 black eye from this yet I for one wouldn't want to own one without a long GM extended warranty.

Last edited:

gmercury2000

Reaction score
Thanks! I hadn't started seeing issues with the lifters but the torque converter was starting to go. Typical issue from what I had read. Sad thing is, the truck only had 13k on it.

But happy to be in my Laramie Crystal Granite night edition. Truck rides like a dream compared to the Chevy. Also was a nice upgrade as I came from a double cab to a crew cab with the 6'4" bed. I always liked the CC but really wanted the full bed.

gmercury2000

Reaction score
Night we picked it up! Still pretty stock but so far added steps, bedliner and tint. Couple other things I plan on adding as time goes on.

Attachments

• 20231218_190751.jpg
    20231218_190751.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 12

Users who are viewing this thread