5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New guy from MN

Scout4

Reaction score
Hello!

Hey all, new guy from MN Here. I'm new to the forums but not new to Rams. I've owned a 2011 Big Horn (sold) and a 2017 Night Edition. I also sold the 2017 last summer because I couldn't resist the offers that I was getting. Now I am looking at ordering a new, fully loaded Laramie G/T Night Edition in Ivory White Pearl-coat. I will be reaching out to Mark Dodge when I am ready. Now I just have a few questions.

First, how is the advanced safety group on these trucks? I've never owned a vehicle with this feature but the few I have driven have annoyed me. I don't like the random braking and I'm not a big fan of adaptive cruise control. Most of my driving will be on highways but will only be for fun because I have a company provided vehicle. Can you toggle the features on/off?

Second, how is the four corner suspension? I've heard in the first gen they would freeze up in cold weather. This truck will be parked in an un-insulated and un-heated garage (for now). I want it mainly for towing purposes as I will be pulling a small travel trailer.

Third, how is the panoramic sun roof? Does the cab heat up quicker in the summers? Even with it covered?

I apologize if these questions have already been answered. I'm still learning how to efficiently use the search feature.

Thanks again!

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hello!

Hey all, new guy from MN Here. I'm new to the forums but not new to Rams. I've owned a 2011 Big Horn (sold) and a 2017 Night Edition. I also sold the 2017 last summer because I couldn't resist the offers that I was getting. Now I am looking at ordering a new, fully loaded Laramie G/T Night Edition in Ivory White Pearl-coat. I will be reaching out to Mark Dodge when I am ready. Now I just have a few questions.

First, how is the advanced safety group on these trucks? I've never owned a vehicle with this feature but the few I have driven have annoyed me. I don't like the random braking and I'm not a big fan of adaptive cruise control. Most of my driving will be on highways but will only be for fun because I have a company provided vehicle. Can you toggle the features on/off?

Second, how is the four corner suspension? I've heard in the first gen they would freeze up in cold weather. This truck will be parked in an un-insulated and un-heated garage (for now). I want it mainly for towing purposes as I will be pulling a small travel trailer.

Third, how is the panoramic sun roof? Does the cab heat up quicker in the summers? Even with it covered?

I apologize if these questions have already been answered. I'm still learning how to efficiently use the search feature.

Thanks again!
I’ve had the advanced safety group twice now, in a 19 and 21 Laramie. I like the 360 camera and use it a lot, as far as the as adaptive cruse control, I hate it and don’t use it at all, hate the lane assist too, never tried the Park assist? Yes you can turn off the adaptive cruse and just use regular cruse! Now for the air ride suspension, I live in Iowa and my truck sits out at work for 8 hours, Somedays below 0, I’ve gone through 2 winters with no known issues, however I do have doubts about the reliability down the road? I love the way it automatically adjust to the trailer weight as soon as it detects the weight. No more sagging *** end, which results in a better ride, fuel mileage , etc etc. Also it’s nice to be able to raise and lower the truck when need, it’s nice to lower for kids, older people to enter and exit! I also raise and lower for loading and unloading things from the box! Worth $1800 ???? As the moon roof, I don’t have that and to me it’s just one more thing that could be a big headache down the road! Also like living in Iowa, how many days can you really use it? It’s either too hot, too cold or raining most of the time. Anyway good luck with whatever you decide👍🏻

grimreefer

U.S. Merchant Marine
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hello!

Thanks again!
The surround view camera is awesome and makes parking in tight spots effortless. I've only ever used the adaptive cruise control a couple of times and found I still didn't like it (had it on our previous two rides). The wife likes it for highway driving, though. I use the regular cruise control often. The forward emergency braking has also been flawless and actually saved my a$$ once. Haven't had any false alarms. It can be adjusted/disabled in Uconnect. The park assist is a neat novelty that I tried early on and it was spot on, but I don't use it unless I'm just showing it off. I'm a fan of the lane keep assist and it's sensitivity is adjustable. It's not supposed to be a hands free system and performs exactly as I'd expect it to. It can be disabled as well. The auto high beam was way too twitchy in mine, so I disabled it in Uconnect early on. The only thing that's really annoying is every once in awhile when backing up the rear sensors over-react and brake... hard. Had it happen on a cold day due to exhaust vapor once. It can be turned off in the Uconnect settings thankfully.

I love the air suspension, but I'm in Florida and don't have to worry about sub-zero temps. It's great for towing too.

Wife hates sunroofs. Guess what I don't have.

:cool: And welcome aboard (y)

Last edited:

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Welcome! I do not have any of the features you're requesting feedback on so unfortunately I cannot give my opinion on actual real world use. I bought a dealer inventory truck, but if I were ordering, I'd probably go heavy on the options.

Scout4

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies! Looks like I'll be going with the ASG and air suspension. I'll keep searching for information about the sunroof!

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum . I have the panoramic sunroof and love it . I had the air suspension on my 2016 Rebel and I had to have the compressor replaced twice under warranty due to freezing up , however my BIL has a 2016 Rebel with air suspension and has never had a problem with it to date . The only thing he's done different than me was use it . I used to leave mine in normal mode all the time and he uses entry/exit on his when he parks it . I guess when it's in entry/exit it doesn't self level when it's parked as it does in normal mode .
I've never had the ASG in any of my Rams so I don't have any feedback on that .

Users who are viewing this thread