5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Grill lights dont turn off

Jsmall

Reaction score
i installed new Grill lights. instructions were to run power to power, and ground to the ground post in the engine bay. lights worked , however did not turn off once truck was turned off, any suggestions?

Jexx

Reaction score
With the limited information provided, it sounds like you have them hooked up to a power source that is always hot, when instead you need to have them hooked up to a power source/wire that is only hot when the truck is in run and/or when the headlights come on...depending on how and when you want the grill lights on.

Jsmall

Reaction score
yes, i would like them to come on only when the headlights are on, or would even settle for them coming on with the DRL's. any suggeations?

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You will need a fuse tap and find a fuse in the fuse box that is only hot when the engine is running.

Jexx

Reaction score
We don't know what kind of truck you have, but a good place to start is the 5th Gen 1500 Fuse Thread
Here ya go

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
F12 in the underhood box is the trailer tail/marker light circuit. If you don't tow, you can unplug that fuse and connect a pigtail to the hot side, fuse it, and connect to your grill lights. The terminals are sadly not standard spade connector sized, so you will need to do some metal bending to make one fit.

If you do plan to tow, then you can try to make little extension legs to tap off of. As far as I know, nobody makes fuse taps for that style fuse.

Or you tap off headlights to trigger a relay that you put in the current feed between power and lights. You will also ned to find a ground for the relay. I would not suggest tapping directly into the headlamp feed or you might trigger a bunch of BCM codes.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this will work on your truck, but you could try tapping into F11 (ID/clearance lights). Those are powered only when your headlights are on - assuming your fuse box has the wiring for it. You could easily check that by inserting a fuse tap (with a fuse in the slot) and checking for voltage with the engine running and lights on.

In my case, I wanted my clearance lights to be on any time that the ignition is on, so I used the trailer camera fuse (F44) since I don't have a trailer camera.

You should let the group know what year and trim you have - as the fuses are slightly different from year to year.

Users who are viewing this thread