5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs getting installed soon. Going up a size too. How do y’all like them

Condor757

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My 2019 Bighorn is finally getting some new shoes!
I enjoyed my Wrangler A/T Adventures but it’s time to upgrade the look and performance. So I chose the Duratracs simply because I get 35% off (Dad is retired Goodyear) so the set of 4 cost me $725, plus a $75 rebate so $675 total. Don’t think I can find anything else comparable to the Duratrac for that price!
I‘m also going up a size without any level/lifts (yet): 275/60R20s
How have y’all’s experiences been with the Duratracs on the non-Rebels? (Bighorn, Laramie, etc.).. Ride, MPG, etc?

Also. For those of you who went up a size.. Get the speedo calibrated or not?

Thx. Pics coming up soon.

-condor

Vigocarpath

Reaction score
I have a set on my 19 Sport. I was just thinking to myself yesterday driving across a lake moving my ice shack how much I liked them. Driving through some pretty big snow drifts and the truck just didn’t care. Although full disclosure my truck is also equipped with a rear locker so I’m sure that contributed to the ease of travel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Condor757

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a set on my 19 Sport. I was just thinking to myself yesterday driving across a lake moving my ice shack how much I liked them. Driving through some pretty big snow drifts and the truck just didn’t care. Although full disclosure my truck is also equipped with a rear locker so I’m sure that contributed to the ease of travel.

Thx man. How is the MPG and ride?

Vigocarpath

Reaction score
Thx man. How is the MPG and ride?

The ride is alright. I did have em aired down to about 30 psi and the ride was pretty soft. I’ve since bumped em up to 40 and it’s definitely stiffer but I would not call it bad. I’m not sure what the conversion would be to MPG but I’m running in the low 20’s/100km so not great but I don’t really worry about mileage very much. I’ve also got a levelling kit

Condor757

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thx buddy. Will report back with pics and overall impressions

AmericanRebelution

Reaction score
I enjoyed my Wrangler A/T Adventures but it’s time to upgrade the look and performance. So I chose the Duratracs simply because I get 35% off (Dad is retired Goodyear) so the set of 4 cost me $725, plus a $75 rebate so $675 total. Don’t think I can find anything else comparable to the Duratrac for that price!
How have y’all’s experiences been with the Duratracs on the non-Rebels? (Bighorn, Laramie, etc.).. Ride, MPG, etc?

-condor

Dang!! Nice deal!! I'm pleased with mine so far. Nice mix of offroad performance and everyday drive-ability.

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
With the 275/60-20's your speedometer will read 70mph when you're actually doing 73mph.
It will read 35mph when you're actually doing 36-37mph. So be careful if you don't calibrate. When you think you're only doing 7mph over the limit you may be 10mph or more.

Also, you will want to air them down about 3psi from what the door sticker recommends if you want a comparable ride to the stock tires at stock recommended pressures.
Learn more here: https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://tiresize.com/pressure-calculator/__;!!G6lwn0f4sEoq!GosIHVorRZ5btZ6mhk-wfPzBgj9WM3GvtreFODuiYX1TJNas8I8801KAR1ZjeCse1FKY$

Buz

Condor757

Ram Guru
Reaction score
With the 275/60-20's your speedometer will read 70mph when you're actually doing 73mph.
It will read 35mph when you're actually doing 36-37mph. So be careful if you don't calibrate. When you think you're only doing 7mph over the limit you may be 10mph or more.

Also, you will want to air them down about 3psi from what the door sticker recommends if you want a comparable ride to the stock tires at stock recommended pressures.
Learn more here: https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://tiresize.com/pressure-calculator/__;!!G6lwn0f4sEoq!GosIHVorRZ5btZ6mhk-wfPzBgj9WM3GvtreFODuiYX1TJNas8I8801KAR1ZjeCse1FKY$

Buz

Thank you, the tire guys at Goodyear only suggested the door jamb pressures (36 PSI), are you suggesting I should drop it down to 34 or so?

I’m good with the speedo difference, it’s really not enough for me to get it calibrated.

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thank you, the tire guys at Goodyear only suggested the door jamb pressures (36 PSI), are you suggesting I should drop it down to 34 or so?
Yes. If you go to the link I posted and enter the data for both tire sizes it’ll probably tell you 34psi. Since the new tires hold more volume of air than the smaller stock tires you need to air down a bit to get to the same level of ‘spongy-ness’ that the stock tires have at 36psi.
34psi is still plenty safe for highway speeds on hot days.

Condor757

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes. If you go to the link I posted and enter the data for both tire sizes it’ll probably tell you 34psi. Since the new tires hold more volume of air than the smaller stock tires you need to air down a bit to get to the same level of ‘spongy-ness’ that the stock tires have at 36psi.
34psi is still plenty safe for highway speeds on hot days.

Gotcha. Thx!

SCasey89

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Have you noticed any difference in the transmission’s shifting or shift points? The larger tires may throw things off...or at least I’ve heard that from others. they recalibrate for that reason alone...not so much the speedometer discrepancy.

Condor757

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Have you noticed any difference in the transmission’s shifting or shift points? The larger tires may throw things off...or at least I’ve heard that from others. they recalibrate for that reason alone...not so much the speedometer discrepancy.

Have not noticed that at all. Maybe it’s happening but it’s really subtle , or maybe the tire size change from 55 to 60 is small enough that there is little to no change? Would love to hear from others..

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just got a set of these installed today, so far so good, only about 100 miles on them. I’ve been through Falken Wildpeaks and Cooper AT3 XLT‘s on my 2019 and 2020 1500’s and this time decided to get something a little more aggressive, between winter roads and my hunting and fishing excursions I needed something better. I didn’t want a dedicated mud tire but something close, these seem to be the happy medium.

Condor757

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Had them for around a month now, very happy with them so far...Totally changes the look of the truck. Speedo has been recalibrated as well as VIN updated with new tire size.

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
We’re supposed to get some massive snow storm in the next 3 days so it will be fun to see how much better they perform than my previous tires. They are damn sure a lot more aggressive tread than the Wildpeaks or Coopers.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have rhese on my Jeeps. 33's on my TJ and 35's on the JL. They ride smooth and are not loud like BFGoodrich tires. They are a great all purpose off road tire and have good wet traction and are superior in the snow for on road.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I honestly love them, though of course there are reports they have too soft sidewalls for hard core off-roading. Remember they are a "hybrid" type A/T, that is designed to bridge the gap between a true A/T and M/T tires. So you get almost Mud Terrain looks with more All-Terrain quiet & smoothness. There is a slight hum at freeway speeds, but it sounds fine. Not like a M/T or cupped tires would make. Great off-road as well. Brand new, they will pick-up small rocks and throw up your wheel wells, however as your tires wear and get less sticky, it will stop happening.

Considering Duratracs are factory tires on the RAM Rebel, RAM Power Wagon, Chevy Silverado Trail Boss, GMC Sierra AT4, GMC Canyon AT4, Ford F150 Tremor, and certain market Ford Ranger Raptors and quite a few other vehicles, it's a good sign that manufacturers trust them on their most off-road capable vehicles.

Reaction score

-condor
I am so pleased with my choice. The ride is improved over stock. The truck looks so much better than with OEM Bridgestone!

Attachments

• 9CDED858-D982-495E-B8F0-462150B162E2.jpeg
    9CDED858-D982-495E-B8F0-462150B162E2.jpeg
    157.9 KB · Views: 54
  • 35B51AF9-D31A-4BEB-BF09-19A0FFD3C9BE.jpeg
    35B51AF9-D31A-4BEB-BF09-19A0FFD3C9BE.jpeg
    185.4 KB · Views: 54

Users who are viewing this thread