5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New exhaust

LoneStarRam19

Reaction score
I just got a Borla Atak muffler installed on my 19 ram 1500, was wondering if deleting the resonators would make it louder, it sounds like more air then "rumble" coming out the back. If I delete the resonators does that void any kinda warranty? Or emitions in Texas

19TXLimited

Reaction score
Will not cause any issues with emissions in Texas. As always, the removal of original equipment or install of aftermarket components can cause Ram to void your warranty...I would find it highly unlikely though that the dealer could put any type of failure as being caused by the replacement of muffler or removal of resonators on rear pipes...guessing you installed only the muffler? I thought the Borla kit already removed the rearmost resonators right before the tips.

Post up a video of the exhaust if you have time.

LoneStarRam19

Reaction score
Will not cause any issues with emissions in Texas. As always, the removal of original equipment or install of aftermarket components can cause Ram to void your warranty...I would find it highly unlikely though that the dealer could put any type of failure as being caused by the replacement of muffler or removal of resonators on rear pipes...guessing you installed only the muffler? I thought the Borla kit already removed the rearmost resonators right before the tips.

I just got the muffler, all other piping is still stock.

LoneStarRam19

Reaction score

I just got the muffler, all other piping is still stock.
How/where did you pick up just the ATAK muffler? That sounds like a great idea rather than buying an entire kit.
The muffler shop is in Pasadena tx, its a performance muffler place the muffler itself was only $360

19TXLimited

Reaction score
Do you happen to have the part number for the muffler they sold you? Looks like the only way to get an ATAK muffler is to go with their "crate" mufflers. They are supposed to be tuned to specific crate motors and eliminate drone on those specific motors.

Do you have any drone with this muffler?

Also, I would be highly interested in hearing this setup if you are ever near downtown Houston during the week. If so shoot me a PM.

LoneStarRam19

Reaction score
I'I'have
Do you happen to have the part number for the muffler they sold you? Looks like the only way to get an ATAK muffler is to go with their "crate" mufflers. They are supposed to be tuned to specific crate motors and eliminate drone on those specific motors.

Also, I would be highly interested in hearing this setup if you are ever near downtown Houston during the week. If so shoot me a PM.
I'd have to look when I get home, now I'm hoping I didn't get dooped. I'll attach a picture of it when I can, I tried to attach a video of the sound but it wouldnt let me on here

Scott_65

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'I'have

I'd have to look when I get home, now I'm hoping I didn't get dooped. I'll attach a picture of it when I can, I tried to attach a video of the sound but it wouldnt let me on here
I looked at the possibility of just doing the muffler and saving some cash by using the stock exhaust with it but couldn’t find one. I ended up ordering the full cat-back from Jegs for $944 and just installed it today, no air for me, it’ loud as hell and I’m loving it.

LoneStarRam19

Reaction score

Heres a picture of the muffler, I couldn't find a part number on it, or on the receipt they gave me with it.

Attachments

• 20191007_172541.jpg
    20191007_172541.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 149

19TXLimited

Reaction score
Heres a picture of the muffler, I couldn't find a part number on it, or on the receipt they gave me with it.

That is one of the crate muffler mufflers. Looks like one for a Chevy or ford crate motor since they don’t make 3” in/out for the dodge crate motor. Maybe you have an exhaust leak?

LoneStarRam19

Reaction score
That is one of the crate muffler mufflers. Looks like one for a Chevy or ford crate motor since they don’t make 3” in/out for the dodge crate motor. Maybe you have an exhaust leak?
Havent listened to it from underneath yet, so seems like they shafted me, for a muffler not even ment for the ram? Think I might go back and see if they'll remove it and go with the flowmaster super 10, or the outlaw, what ever they call it. Guess that's what I get for not wanting to pay the $1100 for the full borla catback and going the cheap route.

19TXLimited

Reaction score
Havent listened to it from underneath yet, so seems like they shafted me, for a muffler not even ment for the ram? Think I might go back and see if they'll remove it and go with the flowmaster super 10, or the outlaw, what ever they call it. Guess that's what I get for not wanting to pay the $1100 for the full borla catback and going the cheap route.

If just an exhaust leak or the weep holes on the resonators then I don’t think they shafted you. Depends how it sounds though I guess. I could be wrong and they have one in 3” for a dodge crate motor, but I don’t see it on the site and they show them as “not universal”. There is a guy on YouTube that had success with a crate muffler for a 6.2 Chevy put on a 5.3 Chevy. Would be awesome if there was a fit for our motor that would work well enough for sub $400 and wasn’t as mellow as the magnaflow with zero drone.

If this works out for you in the end I may go this route. If not then I’ll be going a custom route by the beginning of the year after Christmas is over and funds are back to normal. The custom setup should run me about $500, be bolt on/cut n clamp and be paired with Helmholtz resonator to eliminate any drone. If I go that route I will post up several videos of the system and try to work with them to get a system in place for sale and attain everything from 5thgenrams to become a vendor if possible. All dependent whether they see a market to develop the system and how well we are able to eliminate drone in both V8 and 4CYL modes.

19TXLimited

Reaction score
Not sure the picture shows up, but this is the only crate muffler that shows on Borla's site as 3" piping. Also shows as not universal and that the 3" version is for 500+ HP motors. Maybe just not enough flow through the muffler? Link to Chevy 350 Borla crate muffler video below.

LoneStarRam19

Reaction score
Not sure the picture shows up, but this is the only crate muffler that shows on Borla's site as 3" piping. Also shows as not universal and that the 3" version is for 500+ HP motors. Maybe just not enough flow through the muffler? Link to Chevy 350 Borla crate muffler video below.

Yea I started thinking that also about not enough flow thru the motor as it should be, but when your getting on it like on the freeway it sounds good, just really quite cruising and idle, still wondering if I delete the resonators if it would help with the sound any, beside just adding drone to the inside. Iv even though of seeing if this shop would take this muffler back give my money back. And I was going to just get the carven competitor series catback I think there only like $500 or $600 for that and they sound pretty good what iv heard.

19TXLimited

Reaction score
Yea I started thinking that also about not enough flow thru the motor as it should be, but when your getting on it like on the freeway it sounds good, just really quite cruising and idle, still wondering if I delete the resonators if it would help with the sound any, beside just adding drone to the inside. Iv even though of seeing if this shop would take this muffler back give my money back. And I was going to just get the carven competitor series catback I think there only like $500 or $600 for that and they sound pretty good what iv heard.

Carven's full catback is no longer available or I would be thinking of going this route. They are also said to drone like none other.

Sounds like it's not too bad if it is just on the quiet side at cruise and idle. I wonder if they are designed to be run on a catless crate motor? Removing the cats would cause a dramatic increase in flow.

LoneStarRam19

Reaction score
Carven's full catback is no longer available or I would be thinking of going this route. They are also said to drone like none other.

Sounds like it's not too bad if it is just on the quiet side at cruise and idle. I wonder if they are designed to be run on a catless crate motor? Removing the cats would cause a dramatic increase in flow.
Dang I though carven had the full catback. But wouldnt removing the cats really void some kinda warranty? If so not going that route lol. I actually think I'm gonna go back with a flowmaster super 40 muffler I had that on my 2012 it sounded great even with the resonators still on. I'm going to the shop this afternoon and gonna have them let me listen to the super 10 and super 40 flowmaster. And ima go from there

19TXLimited

Reaction score
Dang I though carven had the full catback. But wouldnt removing the cats really void some kinda warranty? If so not going that route lol. I actually think I'm gonna go back with a flowmaster super 40 muffler I had that on my 2012 it sounded great even with the resonators still on. I'm going to the shop this afternoon and gonna have them let me listen to the super 10 and super 40 flowmaster. And ima go from there

Yea, Carven has a direct fit muffler replacement available, but not the catback. The direct fit seems to sound different.

Removing the cats will most definitely void the warranty and require a tune which will void the entire power train portion of the warranty. Not a good route to go unless your building a race truck.

Evoking1230

Reaction score
I’ve heard mixed reviews about ACES. That’s why I went B2 Fab Muffler Delete and just did it myself. Originally had planned a MF Super10. I work in Pasadena and live nearby. :)

Users who are viewing this thread