5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New clunk when starting

ramffml

Reaction score
I noticed this in the past that my truck would sometimes clunk when starting. As soon as the engine revs up when it catches, and you feel the truck wiggle a little, right then there is a clunk. It's been a few months since I noticed it and just thought it went away on it's own.

Found out how to make it appear. Foot on the brake, push the start button, keep the brake pressed while engine turns over and catches. Without the brake being applied, it doesn't clunk ever. You have to push the brake to get the engine to turn over, but I usually just quickly and lightly press brake and then the button and then instantly let go of brake so the brakes are not usually applied by the time the engine actually catches. Today I was distracted and kept my foot on the pedal for a few seconds and that's how I figured that out.

Anybody else notice this? Might it be related to the clunk I'm experiencing in this thread:

It does sound quite similar.

And now my brakes are groaning as I back up when truck is cold too.

7amada

Reaction score
Did we find out what this is. I also have a clunck when the truck starts

Ataboyrebel

Reaction score
I had this clunk... i was assuming that it was the exhaust(maybe with slush or ice on it) that was hit the bed step or something similar). Today, i went to my Ram dealership to install my new borla type s exhaust. They realise that the tubing that include the resonator was install upside down(slight slope:not to apparent with stock exhaust but, impossible to install the aftermarket exhaust without clearance issue). For now, no clunk and i will give a follow up in 2 weeks.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I noticed this in the past that my truck would sometimes clunk when starting. As soon as the engine revs up when it catches, and you feel the truck wiggle a little, right then there is a clunk. It's been a few months since I noticed it and just thought it went away on it's own.

Found out how to make it appear. Foot on the brake, push the start button, keep the brake pressed while engine turns over and catches. Without the brake being applied, it doesn't clunk ever. You have to push the brake to get the engine to turn over, but I usually just quickly and lightly press brake and then the button and then instantly let go of brake so the brakes are not usually applied by the time the engine actually catches. Today I was distracted and kept my foot on the pedal for a few seconds and that's how I figured that out.

Anybody else notice this? Might it be related to the clunk I'm experiencing in this thread:

It does sound quite similar.

And now my brakes are groaning as I back up when truck is cold too.
Yes, I think this has been reported thousands of times. Pretty much everyone had the same result: hold brake = clunk; tap brake = no clunk. I stopped following the conversations because mine never clunks anymore (since I figured out the brake pedal thing). I had my dealer look at it once and they couldn't duplicate. Right now, its just no longer an issue to me since I figured out to just let off the brake.

Ataboyrebel

Reaction score
Yes, I think this has been reported thousands of times. Pretty much everyone had the same result: hold brake = clunk; tap brake = no clunk. I stopped following the conversations because mine never clunks anymore (since I figured out the brake pedal thing). I had my dealer look at it once and they couldn't duplicate. Right now, its just no longer an issue to me since I figured out to just let off the brake.
My point was just: did your pipe was install upside down at the factory doing clearance issue. If not, enjoy your new Ram. If, and only if, the pipe was install upside down, revert it!

Ataboyrebel

Reaction score
No problem! Slight angle... very slight angle! But enough so aftermarket exhaust(or torque and brake startup ...maybe) cause exhaust clearance. If that resolve my problem EVERY time, I’ll will post the position(more up or more down) in 2 weeks!

Jstnbcks’dt

Reaction score
Rental truck on 1-23-20 didn’t do this at all (hemi w/ etorque)

rental truck today 2-6-20(hemi w/ etorque) does it, and slips badly in first. only has 955 miles on it.

I feel lucky mine isn’t as screwed as this one. The first rental drove like a dream.

Users who are viewing this thread