5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New cabin air filter for 2022?

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I bought a K&N VF2065 Cabin Air Filter for my '21 Ram 1500. The filter isn't marked for airflow direction (up or down), and the instructions don't say either. I guess it doesn't matter.

Anyway, what I am curious about, is it has this "U" shape at one end. Picture below is what I received, notice the curve at the top. The bottom is straight.

Is it obvious which way it goes, once you get the door off? I've changed the cabin filter a couple times now (my truck is at 33K) but those were just soft sided square gray rectangle filters; I don't remember anything with a curve in it. I sent an email off to K&N customer service, but that was just yesterday. Looked at various YT videos and didn't find anything useful there either.

Anybody determine which way this goes? Or which way did you put yours?

Thanks!

Rich

View attachment 163860
I just received that exact one yesterday. Like you, no airflow arrow and one side had the “u”. The instructions are vague.

I installed it with the “u” towards the access door.

I will see how the air flow is with this one, but at first glance it doesn’t seem to be much stronger compared with my cheap carbon one.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I bought a K&N VF2065 Cabin Air Filter for my '21 Ram 1500. The filter isn't marked for airflow direction (up or down), and the instructions don't say either. I guess it doesn't matter.

Anyway, what I am curious about, is it has this "U" shape at one end. Picture below is what I received, notice the curve at the top. The bottom is straight.

Is it obvious which way it goes, once you get the door off? I've changed the cabin filter a couple times now (my truck is at 33K) but those were just soft sided square gray rectangle filters; I don't remember anything with a curve in it. I sent an email off to K&N customer service, but that was just yesterday. Looked at various YT videos and didn't find anything useful there either.

Thanks!

Rich

View attachment 163860
It looks like because of bad QC. There is also an arrow, you need to look at the side its black on black.
If you don't have an arrow I would return it and get another. Probably got a factory second.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I used the k&n today with outside air temps were approaching 100. Didn’t seem to help air flow much compared to my charcoal one. I may just wash the oil off with the cleaner and not reapply to see if that helps even further.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I used the k&n today with outside air temps were approaching 100. Didn’t seem to help air flow much compared to my charcoal one. I may just wash the oil off with the cleaner and not reapply to see if that helps even further.
Higher airflow won't help with cooling though. Maybe if on recirculate.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
It just makes it blow more.
It's not going to make the truck cooler.
Oil also isn't going to prevent the airflow.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
It just makes it blow more.
It's not going to make the truck cooler.
Oil also isn't going to prevent the airflow.
Right. That’s what I was trying to do, make it blow harder, not cooler. The k&n is supposed to have 25% more flow.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
The K&N definitely blows harder then the OEM one I had. Idk about 25% though.
I’m guessing the Amazon replacement one I was running before wasn’t as restrictive as the factory ones, so it didn’t make as much of a difference going from it to k&n. Still gets nice a comfortable in my truck after 10 min of driving tho. Not bad for sitting out in the sun for 9 hours.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
so is there a part number for 22 Ram cabin filter?
2019 and 2022 should be the same.

Mopar OEM 68406048A
Napa 4579
Fresh Breeze cabin air filter (CF11671)
STP brand #CAF1864P (slightly smaller than OEM, # of pleats between Wix and OEM)
ProSelect 224579 (slightly larger than OEM)
Wix 24579 (same size as OEM, more pleats, see attachment)
Post 99

Also:

Reaction score
Has anyone tried the K&N Cabin Air Filter: Premium, Washable, Clean Airflow to your Cabin Air Filter VF2065?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, it's great, tight fit, but great airflow. I liked it so much I bought one for my other cars. You don't oil them, just spray their cleaner and rinse out.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Yes, it's great, tight fit, but great airflow. I liked it so much I bought one for my other cars. You don't oil them, just spray their cleaner and rinse out.
What does the refresher bottle do?

IMG_4563.jpeg

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Nothing.
When you clean it just spray it from the inside out with a garden hose and let it air dry for a couple of hours outside in the sun every 2 years.
So it’s like febreeze or something I guess

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Depends what part of the country you live in. I don't clean my filters for around 3 years and they look fine when I do.
Yep. If you live where there is a lot of pollen, or cottonwood, 1 year may be stretching it, but if you don't have a lot of particulates, you may go 3 or more. I have never had to change one before, because I didn't keep them long enough to need it, but this year, pollen was heavy, and withthe Canadian smoke, I had to change both vehicles.

aussie_ram

Reaction score

Thanks!

Rich

View attachment 163860

Did you end up getting a reply from KN about airflow direction? I just installed this filter today and like you, no airflow direction marked anywhere. I tested it and it seems to be blowing fine, but want to make sure it's not installed the wrong way.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Did you end up getting a reply from KN about airflow direction? I just installed this filter today and like you, no airflow direction marked anywhere. I tested it and it seems to be blowing fine, but want to make sure it's not installed the wrong way.
There’s probably no wrong way I guess. It’s the same one both sides

Users who are viewing this thread