5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New cabin air filter for 2022?

InRoostWeTrust

Reaction score
Thanks Sascwatch, I recall reading that in the manual earlier this year, but you reminded me where it is - thanks!

Merlin

Reaction score
This video shows how easy it is. Just don't force it back into place. Take your time. its easier the second time. :)

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The dealer wanted to change my cabin air filter, it was almost $50 bucks, must have been the new N95 filter, it was really dirty after 2 years and 60,000km, the manual says to change yearly or at every 20,000km. I don’t drive on dusty roads often and our rainy fall and snowy winters are long, so no dust during those seasons, I bought an aftermarket for $20.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
The dealer wanted to change my cabin air filter, it was almost $50 bucks, must have been the new N95 filter, it was really dirty after 2 years and 60,000km, the manual says to change yearly or at every 20,000km. I don’t drive on dusty roads often and our rainy fall and snowy winters are long, so no dust during those seasons, I bought an aftermarket for $20.
Good call. I definitely wouldn’t use an N95 unless you have major health issues. It really hurts the air flow.

Papi4baby

Reaction score
This “new” filter seems to be out of stock everywhere. I bit the bullet and purchased the old model non N95 version, once I replaced it I noticed they had used and old filter from the factory. So Ram pretty much lied!

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I’d like to get something with minimal restriction. Maybe the k&n would work

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I’d like to get something with minimal restriction. Maybe the k&n would work
I get more airflow with the K&N. You can run the system and inset/remove and try for yourself. No filter was best airflow, Probbly would be fine too depending on where exactly the inside sucks from.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I get more airflow with the K&N. You can run the system and inset/remove and try for yourself. No filter was best airflow, Probbly would be fine too depending on where exactly the inside sucks from.
This is exactly what I have done. Put the AC on and pulled/inserted the filter to compare. Without the cabin filter, it’s like I have a “9” on high instead of “7”. It’s just as good as other vehicles without it installed. Seems like maybe the filter is undersized for the blower, idk.

I then drove for about 30 minutes with no filter and loved the results.

Not sure where the intake on recirculate is, but I think the inlet is at the cowl for outside air.

If k&n is the best flowing I guess I’ll have to go that route.
Thanks

Ram4Lou

Reaction score
This is exactly what I have done. Put the AC on and pulled/inserted the filter to compare. Without the cabin filter, it’s like I have a “9” on high instead of “7”. It’s just as good as other vehicles without it installed. Seems like maybe the filter is undersized for the blower, idk.

I then drove for about 30 minutes with no filter and loved the results.

Not sure where the intake on recirculate is, but I think the inlet is at the cowl for outside air.

If k&n is the best flowing I guess I’ll have to go that route.
Thanks

When I inspected my filter yesterday, I could see the blend door and actuator just a few inches above the filter. The air inlet for recirc is high in the dash, behind the upper glove box area.

I picked up this STP filter for ~$20 from autozone yesterday evening. Probably get it installed today and I’ll report back with quality and flow comparison. Ram dealership wanted $50 for a new OEM one. OEM must have gold frame or something😂

Attachments

• IMG_3658.jpeg
    IMG_3658.jpeg
    42.7 KB · Views: 19

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
When I inspected my filter yesterday, I could see the blend door and actuator just a few inches above the filter. The air inlet for recirc is high in the dash, behind the upper glove box area.

I picked up this STP filter for ~$20 from autozone yesterday evening. Probably get it installed today and I’ll report back with quality and flow comparison. Ram dealership wanted $50 for a new OEM one. OEM must have gold frame or something😂
I had been using this one, but if there’s another that allows more air to flow I’d me willing to try it

EPAuto CP671 (CF11671) Replacement for Mazda CX-7 / RAM 1500,2500,3500,4500,5500 Cabin Air Filter includes Activated Carbon https://a.co/d/6qasz3v

Ram4Lou

Reaction score
Just installed the STP. Initially it looks more restrictive than the OEM, however it has more pleating which means more surface area for airflow. Dimensions are exactly the same. I tried performance with old filter, then no filter, and finally with new filter. I also used a decibel meter during each test.
I felt a bit more airflow with no filter in place, however the noise was very annoying. Sounded loud, hollow and echoed. Noise was 67.8 dB with no filter. I felt no noticeable airflow difference between OEM and new STP filter, however I appreciated the softer quieter noise level of the STP. OEM was 65.8 dB, and STP was 63.8 dB. It always bothered me at how loud and hollow the AC system sounded compared to other vehicles I’ve owned. Airflow seems the same but now it sounds like I’ve been moved into a soundproof room with all the acoustic eggcrate foam in the walls 😊

Wish I would have changed to this STP years ago!

The dB images below were taken in the order of OEM, then no filter, and finally with new STP.

Attachments

• IMG_3660.jpeg
    IMG_3660.jpeg
    141.9 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_3661.jpeg
    IMG_3661.jpeg
    105.1 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_3659.png
    IMG_3659.png
    116.5 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_3662.png
    IMG_3662.png
    116 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3663.png
    IMG_3663.png
    119.2 KB · Views: 25

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I bought these a couple months agom. Haven't actually replaced it yet. Will probably do it today. CF11671 Premium Cabin Air Filter With Activated Carbon Compatible with MAZDA CX-7 RAM 1500 2500 3500 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 2021 2022 (2 PACK) https://a.co/d/6WeTSgV

I have this one in the truck right now
FRAM Fresh Breeze Cabin Air Filter Replacement for Car Passenger Compartment w/ Arm and Hammer Baking Soda, Easy Install, CF10364 for Select Chrysler and Dodge Vehicles https://a.co/d/8L6XdPv

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Just installed the STP. Initially it looks more restrictive than the OEM, however it has more pleating which means more surface area for airflow. Dimensions are exactly the same. I tried performance with old filter, then no filter, and finally with new filter. I also used a decibel meter during each test.
I felt a bit more airflow with no filter in place, however the noise was very annoying. Sounded loud, hollow and echoed. Noise was 67.8 dB with no filter. I felt no noticeable airflow difference between OEM and new STP filter, however I appreciated the softer quieter noise level of the STP. OEM was 65.8 dB, and STP was 63.8 dB. It always bothered me at how loud and hollow the AC system sounded compared to other vehicles I’ve owned. Airflow seems the same but now it sounds like I’ve been moved into a soundproof room with all the acoustic eggcrate foam in the walls 😊

Wish I would have changed to this STP years ago!

The dB images below were taken in the order of OEM, then no filter, and finally with new STP.
Thanks for the review. I would’ve thought more pleats would be more restrictive since they are so tight.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I had been using this one, but if there’s another that allows more air to flow I’d me willing to try it

EPAuto CP671 (CF11671) Replacement for Mazda CX-7 / RAM 1500,2500,3500,4500,5500 Cabin Air Filter includes Activated Carbon https://a.co/d/6qasz3v
If you want more airflow don't get one with activated carbon, likely to just build up sooner over time

The K&N ones are washable so you just buy it once too, clean it whenever you want.
Onsale currently for $36, I pay $42 for mine from Amazon

Ram4Lou

Reaction score
More pleats equal more surface area.

Yep, more pleats equals more surface area and more sound deadening👍. I am very pleased with this STP filter. STP makes two, one with carbon and one without. Reviews mention that the one with carbon is more restrictive, so I went with the one without. Airflow is great and sound is quiet 😊

llando88

Reaction score
I bought a K&N VF2065 Cabin Air Filter for my '21 Ram 1500. The filter isn't marked for airflow direction (up or down), and the instructions don't say either. I guess it doesn't matter.

Anyway, what I am curious about, is it has this "U" shape at one end. Picture below is what I received, notice the curve at the top. The bottom is straight.

Is it obvious which way it goes, once you get the door off? I've changed the cabin filter a couple times now (my truck is at 33K) but those were just soft sided square gray rectangle filters; I don't remember anything with a curve in it. I sent an email off to K&N customer service, but that was just yesterday. Looked at various YT videos and didn't find anything useful there either.

Anybody determine which way this goes? Or which way did you put yours?

Thanks!

Rich

IMG_2918.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread