5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New cabin air filter for 2022?

ALT_F13

Reaction score
I've mentioned that RAM website has this info about new air filtration system for 2022 RAM 1500:

New Air Filtration System​

Protect yourself and your passengers with the new air filtration system which comes standard on Ram 1500 trucks. This new air system filters 95% of air particulates, such as dust, smoke, droplets and aerosols, resulting in the cleanest cabin air ever in a Ram vehicle.

And it looks like 2022 model uses N95 Cabin Air filter that fits 2022 RAM 1500 models only and Grand Wagoneer - part number 68406048AB (filter that fits 2019-2021 models is 68406048AA).

While part numbers with just different last letter are usually interchangeable in FCA world, I've ordered a new filter to try it in my 2020 Rebel.

Have anyone tried and compared new N95 filter vs old filter?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I probably wouldn't want a N95 filter for a cabin air filter. To filter that small of particles aifow would be restricted. And with the number of complaints people have about A/C performance as it is, adding more restriction to airflow isnt going to help.

And why do you really need a N95 filter.for your vehicle? But if you did, there are aftermarket N95 rated filters available already

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I probably wouldn't want a N95 filter for a cabin air filter. To filter that small of particles aifow would be restricted. And with the number of complaints people have about A/C performance as it is, adding more restriction to airflow isnt going to help.

And why do you really need a N95 filter.for your vehicle? But if you did, there are aftermarket N95 rated filters available already
Maybe Ram decided that the redesigned system flowed too much air compared to the early design, so they wanted to close the gap 🤷‍♂️

Seriously though, the N95 sounds like a good idea on the surface, but similar to you, I can't imagine what I need to filter out that can't already be caught in the standard filter. And a filter that catches more will need replaced more often.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I do find myself needing to have the fan speed at 5, 6 or 7 to cool my 2022. It has also been extremely hot here this summer so I can’t compare it to my old 2020.

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I do find myself needing to have the fan speed at 5, 6 or 7 to cool my 2022. It has also been extremely hot here this summer so I can’t compare it to my old 2020.
That's interesting. I generally have the fan speed at 2 on my '22, coupled with the seat vent on. I set it to auto when I first start it, but it doesn't take very long to cool the cabin. My '20 (before the hack) took a while to cool down, and even then I had to keep the fan turned up. How long does it takes yours at 5-7 speed to get to a comfortable temp?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I just keep mine on auto. Regulates temp and fan speed pretty damn good by itself. No need to touch HVAC controls. Only times I do is when I turn it off when I open windows, or when I change the temp between winter and summer. Use 72 in winter and 68 in summer

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's interesting. I generally have the fan speed at 2 on my '22, coupled with the seat vent on. I set it to auto when I first start it, but it doesn't take very long to cool the cabin. My '20 (before the hack) took a while to cool down, and even then I had to keep the fan turned up. How long does it takes yours at 5-7 speed to get to a comfortable temp?
The colder the better for me, I leave the temp set to low and fan speed high until it’s to cold for the passengers. Vent temps are good at 42-45 on days when it is 105 with the humidity.

Last edited:

ALT_F13

Reaction score
What hack are you referring to?
UPD: OK, got it, clamp trick.

Last edited:

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I keep my temp on Lo most of the time with the fan about 75%, it's a little to loud for me at full blast.

deepc6

Reaction score
Has anyone tried the K&N Cabin Air Filter: Premium, Washable, Clean Airflow to your Cabin Air Filter VF2065?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ALT_F13

Reaction score
Has anyone tried the K&N Cabin Air Filter: Premium, Washable, Clean Airflow to your Cabin Air Filter VF2065?

+1. Cool that it is washable, but doesn't it really help with removing fine dust and odors from coming into the cabin?

deepc6

Reaction score
+1. Cool that it is washable, but doesn't it really help with removing fine dust and odors from coming into the cabin?

I don’t know if it does, that is why I was asking if anyone tried it yet.

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I've been a K&N fan for a few years. I just ordered this and it arrived yesterday. I haven't installed it yet though.

Florida RAM

Reaction score
I keep my temp on Lo most of the time with the fan about 75%, it's a little to loud for me at full blast.
Yep, here in Florida the temp always stays pegged at Lo from about April to November. I have found that keeping it on recirculate helps. Also, using a sunshade on the windshield keeps the interior from getting so hot, which in turn means less surfaces to cool off. And I almost never run the AC at full blast unless I forgot the sunshade and the interior is cooked. If it's super hot, I roll down all the windows and open the rear window slider when I get moving for about a minute or two. That rear window really helps suck the hot air out.

Merlin

Reaction score
I had the ac issue this year, I had changed my cabin filter to a fram with baking soda in November, I looked at it about 2 weeks ago and after 3000 miles it was packed. I tried the KAX air filter and I have to say, so far the ac has been colder and the air in the truck much cleaner. Maybe it is subjective, and I know its not a name brand, but its a carbon filter and works great so far. Im not saying it fixed the AC but on the hottest days after few minutes of driving its been blowing cold enough for me. Running on recirc that is.

deepc6

Reaction score
I've been a K&N fan for a few years. I just ordered this and it arrived yesterday. I haven't installed it yet though.

What do you think of it so far?

InRoostWeTrust

Reaction score
I can't even find the filter... must be behind one of the fuzzy panels.
Need to read the manual on this topic.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Filter is behind the lower glovebox, have to remove it and it’s right there.

Users who are viewing this thread