5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Auxiliary Switches

Greer07

Reaction score
My 2021 Laramie only has two active switches, tow/haul and traction control. Mopar sells the entire bank of 5 switches for less than $100. Any reason to think if I replace what I have now to get rid of those blank spaces that it shouldn’t work? I may play around with trying to add functionality to the other switches later but for now the only two working would be two/haul and traction. It would basically be for looks I guess to begin with 🤣🤣.

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
The question is: how is it wired? Does each switch have an input and an output? Or is it more like a USB -- power, ground, and a pair of communication wires leading off to some kind of hub? A switch is no good if it sends a signal to nowhere.

Pompito

Reaction score
Following, I can see it uses a connector so either it goes to a module or you may have to pin out to control loads.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
That's a pretty stripped down Laramie you've got. When I was looking at Laramies I couldn't find one without at least Level 1 Equipment group. I guess they're calling it Level A now. Either way, I'd think that you'd retain functionality for tow/haul and traction with the new switches. I haven't read about anyone else having tried this, but I'm sure someone has. You might want to spend some time searching through older threads to see if anyone has posted about trying this. Or just spend the Benjamin and let us know how it works for you.

Pompito

Reaction score
So I went to a friend of mine today that has a TRX and played around with the aux switch panel. This is not just a panel, it's a whole BCM program. You select on th 12" Screen what switches do. the panel also includes hill-assist button that my 2020 rebel has under the shifter knob (dont know how that will work). Also the terminals for this switches are behind the drivers side headlight next to the fuse box, just plain wires taped together. This wires are amp rated and ready to connect loads so they are already comming from a relay. I believe in order to get this working properly minimum we will need:
-Switch panel
-harnesses
-relay box/hub
-BCM programming
-luck
-fire extinguisher

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Full Thread on Switch Panel:

Fresh Print of my Switch Panel with PSI Display:

SwitchPrint.jpg

Switch Panel Wiring:
Red Fused Battery Wire goes to the Power Switch for the BED. So it works with out the truck being on for camping.
Orange ACC 12V power to the rest of the Switches, the constant LEDs, and the PSI Guage.
Black Ground Wire goes to two connections on each Switch and to the PSI Guage.
The Red/Black/Green wires go to the Pressure Sensor
Gray Wire goes to the AUX Fuel Xfer Pump
Green Wire Goes to the Front LED Driving Lights Relay
White wire goes to the Reverse LED Pod Lights/Relay
Yellow Wire Goes to the Bed/Cap Relay
Blue Wire goes to the Air Compressor Relay
Violet Wire goes to the Air Horn Selenoid

IMG_20210521_075016818.jpg

Mounted in Overhead Console on Desk:

IMG_20210521_075255081.jpg

Mounted in Truck:

IMG_20210521_170328155.jpg

The Power Switch to the Bed/Cap I still need to order in the Contura III
square type. I still want to paint it with a light coat of Black. Then I just have to
do all the rest of the wiring runs.

Malodave

Greer07

Reaction score
That's a pretty stripped down Laramie you've got. When I was looking at Laramies I couldn't find one without at least Level 1 Equipment group. I guess they're calling it Level A now. Either way, I'd think that you'd retain functionality for tow/haul and traction with the new switches. I haven't read about anyone else having tried this, but I'm sure someone has. You might want to spend some time searching through older threads to see if anyone has posted about trying this. Or just spend the Benjamin and let us know how it works

Greer07

Reaction score
Yeah I’m going to get it and I’ll let you all know how it turns out. To begin with it will just basically be for looks so I’m hoping it’s just plug and play swapping it out. May be foolish to have what amounts to dummy switches but I think even that looks better visually than having solid gray bar where other switches should be. I actually also have the trailer brake control that goes to the left of these switches on order. Apparently this is an easy install just have to have dealer flash. (And I know I could have spent more and this wouldn’t be an issue.) 😎

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 237

FM45

Reaction score
@G07... those 'switches' shown are controlled by the CAN of the truck... the BCM does all the heavy stuff not the switch bank... they act like the keyboard of your computer - a pulse is sent to the BCM and then the command is processed ...

-=FM45=-

ramButz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
i just used a plain "old gang switch".

Attachments

• 100_1792_InPixio.jpg
    100_1792_InPixio.jpg
    215.5 KB · Views: 275
  • 103_1614_In.jpg
    103_1614_In.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 247