5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New A/T Tires

Birdman_2000

Reaction score
I’ve got the Bridgestone On my night edition with the white letters. With 36k the outer edge is worn right down.

Looking for advise also.

I don’t run off road at all, I drive main roads and highways. Wanted some a little tougher then the stock wheels, maybe slightly bigger but not looking for a 10 ply tire or anything to heavy.

With gas prices climbing, I don’t know if a AT tire like the Nitto Terra grapplers would be best.

A little road noise is ok… don’t want to loose much mileage. 60k or around tire would be good.

Anyways:… anyone have a suggestion for this? Thanks.
Honestly if you never go on terrain other than highway I would probably stick with a highway all season tire. Only caveat would be if you live where it snows frequently. Should be quieter and last longer.

Shives

Reaction score
That’s what I’m thinking. I like the larger look of the A/t tires, but wondering if I can get a little larger all season, Highway. I do live in mass, and we get snow, so that’s a factor.

Suggestions!?

Chili Big Horn

Reaction score
I’ve got the Bridgestone On my night edition with the white letters. With 36k the outer edge is worn right down.

Looking for advise also.

I don’t run off road at all, I drive main roads and highways. Wanted some a little tougher then the stock wheels, maybe slightly bigger but not looking for a 10 ply tire or anything to heavy.

With gas prices climbing, I don’t know if a AT tire like the Nitto Terra grapplers would be best.

A little road noise is ok… don’t want to loose much mileage. 60k or around tire would be good.

Anyways:… anyone have a suggestion for this? Thanks.
I was in the same doubt and changed my standard Nexens for Falken Wildpeaks AT 285/55r20 after a lot of research. I was torn between these and the BF Goodrich AT Ko2s which have a similar off-road performance but the Falkens are quieter on road.

Bigbags85

Reaction score
That’s what I’m thinking. I like the larger look of the A/t tires, but wondering if I can get a little larger all season, Highway. I do live in mass, and we get snow, so that’s a factor.

Suggestions!?
I just picked up the new (I think) Vredestein Pinzas. They were put on yesterday. I've run Vredestein on my Maxima for a few years and they're amazing. So far these new ones on the truck (granted I've only driven about 100mi) seem just as good. Zero road noise on pavement and if they're half as good as the Quatracs in rain or snow they'll still be great. The Quatracs don't even know when the road is wet.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score

Suggestions!?
It depends on what size rims you have also. Not every brand makes every size fitment.

jkm312

Reaction score

Suggestions!?
Take a look at the Cooper AT3/4S. They are a severe snow rated tire. I put on a set last fall, 275/55R/20, to replace the OEM Duelers. No complaints with the Coper's. I live in the midwest and they have handled everything I've encountered without fail. One thing to consider is the difference in weight of the tires between the OEM's and what you are going to replace them with. The 4S's are a lighter AT tire, and not as heavy as some of the other's mentioned though out this forum. I lost about 1.5 miles per gallon going to the Cooper's. They ride and handle very well. Noise is a non issue for me. The small sacrifice in mileage is a justified fair trade for a more substantial tire on a truck.

Shives

Reaction score
It depends on what size rims you have also. Not every brand makes every size fitment.
Great point! And sorry I did not include.

2019 Big Horn night edition. 20” black rims. Guessing they are 20x9. I would have to dig up the part number and double check to be sure. But, seen a few say the stockers are 20x9.

Great advise!! Yes, I keep seeing a weight difference. I’m guessing the factory Bridgestones are a 2 ply tire. Lol.

I definitely don’t need a 10 ply or even 8. Towing would be minimum, and a boat or Jetski. Off roading, NOPE! I love my paint job too much. Ha ha ha. No scratches please.

So, I’ll be a glorified road truck, that “could” go off road in a pinch…. or if a hot chick is in trouble. Lmfao.

You all rock! I appreciate the advise and information! Tires on trucks is not my stronghold! Tries on motorcycles, yes.

Falken QA

Reaction score
@Falken QA any plans to put the AT3W on a diet? I love these tires but they are so heavy… always the heaviest option in any given size.

Sorry for the late reply. This is something being considered on the upcoming next generation Wildpeak. We understand the AT3w's tend to be on the hefty side of weight and retaining MPG is a big factor.

Vhidatski

Reaction score
I was in the same boat. I went with venom power X/T tires. 275/60r20 4 ply. 50k mile warranty. Good reviews. They do kind of sound like MTs on a smooth road, but for $1000 mounted and balanced, couldnt pass it up.
Any issues with XTs so far? Thinking of getting them.

Shives

Reaction score
I’m still trying to figure out what’s best, an would love anyones thought’s.

Mostly Highway driving an road driving. Very little off road an dirt driving. I have Cooper AT3 from 2017 now… (tires I had left around) and tried them after the Bridgestones gave out.

They are nice but heavy.

TRIBUTE100

Reaction score
After towing our 34 foot travel trailer, 7500#GVWR earlier this month with my 2021 Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew Cab 4X4, 5.7L eTorque, 3.92 Ratio Axle, OEM Bridgestone Dueler 275/55R20 113T Tires, Air Lift 1000 Coil Spring Air Bags, Fastway e2 800/8,000# Load Leveling Anti Sway Hitch on the Interstate with bad cross winds and lot of semi's, I decided I needed to upgrade my tires and hitch, because the handling on that trip got a little dicey. I had 46 psi in the tires and I had e2 trunnion bars maxed out for lift and sway. The ends of the trunnion knuckles were wallowing out the trunnion head.
I'm having Cooper AT3 LTX LT 275/55R20 120S (E) tires put on it tomorrow. They'll rated 3,085 @80psi, OEM's were rated at 2,535 @44 psi. I didn't want to upsize my tires because I like the pulling power I have now. I also bought a barely used Fastway e2 1200/12,000# WD Hitch for $200 with a minimum tongue weight of 800#, which I easily have. I'm keeping my original tires and rims with only 6,500 miles on them. I found some identical OEM rims, but painted, for $200 w/TPMS sensors to mount the new tires on. I'm planning on putting 65 psi in the new tires when I tow and see how they do I found this website, others may have posted in the past, to calculate how much pressure to put in my new tires when I'm not loaded up and towing. Mine calculated out to be 52 psi, OEM tires were 36 psi on the door post. That website is posted below:

Users who are viewing this thread