5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New 5th Gen, yay or nay?

LIVINtheLIFE

Reaction score
Well everyone I finally got out of the CTD game and I’m getting back into a 1500....first I’d like to say I’m new to the forum and in the market for a new vehicle. The biggest question is 5th gen or Classic? Other then body, frame, weight, and accessories I don’t know what else has changed. Specifically drivetrain, powertrain, suspension, etc.? If you guys could do it over again would you still have got the 5th gen? Or would you have kept your 4th beforehand(if you had one) or opted for a Classic at a cheaper cost? Thanks.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Well everyone I finally got out of the CTD game and I’m getting back into a 1500....first I’d like to say I’m new to the forum and in the market for a new vehicle. The biggest question is 5th gen or Classic? Other then body, frame, weight, and accessories I don’t know what else has changed. Specifically drivetrain, powertrain, suspension, etc.? If you guys could do it over again would you still have got the 5th gen? Or would you have kept your 4th beforehand(if you had one) or opted for a Classic at a cheaper cost? Thanks.
The 5th gen is a leap forward in many ways. Just about the only carryover is the HEMI, and even that has seen updates (e.g. eTorque). The interior has too many improvements to list. There’s just no way I’d opt for a 4th gen 1500 if I had the choice.

moparleo51

Reaction score
5th gen all the way, i came from 3 different 4th gen rams(laramie,bighorn,sport) all three were good but the 5th gen is a different beast, way more refined interior,exterior, and the ride is great.

LIVINtheLIFE

Reaction score
awesome response everyone. That’s what I was leaning towards anyways I’m just doing my research in regards to additions on the truck in the future. I’m looking at a 2020 BigHorn Level 2 with OffRoad package. My next big thing to tackle is getting a leveling kit to work with the ORP.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Would do it again any day of the week. Went from a 14 Express to a 20 Laramie. Now granted the trim level were different but the 5th gen just drives so much nicer. Interiors nicer too, way more useable storage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

iLikeTurtles

Reaction score
Ive come from denalis, VWs and Audis, the new 5th gen is finally bringing the comfort and refinement to trucks that the top of the line trucks have been missing. The soft touch features and fit/finish is above the ford platinum. Except the weak cooled seats.

Only other omplaint is AC, MDS and the seats do not go low enough.

Would do it over again. Or buy a cheaper laramie level 2.

nburd

Reaction score
5th gen, no question In my mind. Cab quietness, engine isolation and ride is improved over 4th gen. It does feel bigger, because it is, it’s wider than the 4th gen. My son has a 2020 warlock, and I see many improvements with the 5th gen which is why I went that route. I will say the 4th gens are a bargain and if the improvements do not mean much to you, it’s hard to pass up the value. It’s a lot of truck for the price of a Ranger, Tacoma or Colorado. The base 8.4“ screen is better in the 4th gen as it receives updates and has a few more features And 4G WiFi. You have to factory order NAV on the 5th to get it. But there are some improvements in Digital media playback and displays on the info-cluster which are better on the 5th. You can also add Nav to a 4th gen with a software update. You cannot on a 5th gen. 6 lugs vs 5. At idle many times I thought the 5th gen was off and it was not. It’s so smooth and quiet. The 4th has a direct connected engine fan, the 5th electric. Big difference on startup noise with the fan clutch. Aluminum hood and tailgate on 5th. Rear wheel well liners standard on 4th. Cab feels more roomy on 5th. Active noise cancelling on 5th too. Seats on 5th are more comfy but that’s based on trim levels, I am sure. I get better fuel economy than my son. He has 3.21 and I have 3.92/etorque. I beat him on the highway. 5th gen has Factory studs for running boards. 4th gen has open holes in rockers.

Anyway, have fun shopping! I love my level 2 and ORP. The Alpine system rocks too.

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
5th gen for me too , I had a 2016 Rebel that I loved but this one is just better all around .

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
5th gen all the way!

I came from a flawless 2015 F150 which I absolutely loved and adored. I love my new RAM even more, and this is from a lifelong Ford truck owner. In fact, I still see myself as a Ford guy, who just happens to own a RAM right now. Owned many brands of vehicles in my 28 years of driving (BMW, VW, Ford, Chevy, Lexus, Jeep, Etc.), this RAM is one of the best built and best driving vehicle I've owned. No issues so far, knocking on wood of course :)

LIVINtheLIFE

Reaction score
5th gen it is for sure. Now I’m just shopping around to find the perfect truck which is proving difficult to get “everything” that I’d want when ordering. Basically I built a BigHorn, 6’4” box is a must with Level 2, ORG, Bedliner Package, Tow Package, Alpine system, Premium Lighting and bigger fuel tank. I’ve found only 2 with similar packages and colours I like. Both are quad cab(if I ordered I’d probably get a crew just for the extra storage, but I don’t really have a use for the bigger back seat otherwise), but bother are missing the bigger fuel tank, alpine and trailer group. One has Premium Lights but no bed group and the other has the bed group but halogen lights. Leaning toward the one with the bed group instead. It looks like with level 2 you get everything you’d want in the tow group anyways other then trailer mirrors and the controller. Which can both be added later if needed, just at a higher cost. Not to mention buying one right now vs ordering a 2021 is faster and cheaper. So it’s kind of a toss up. Leaning towards the one with the bedliner group, I can always add the trailer brake controller later if I wanted and I’m sure the halogens are still pretty damn good in comparison to my ‘96 I just sold.

nburd

Reaction score
5th gen it is for sure. Now I’m just shopping around to find the perfect truck which is proving difficult to get “everything” that I’d want when ordering. Basically I built a BigHorn, 6’4” box is a must with Level 2, ORG, Bedliner Package, Tow Package, Alpine system, Premium Lighting and bigger fuel tank. I’ve found only 2 with similar packages and colours I like. Both are quad cab(if I ordered I’d probably get a crew just for the extra storage, but I don’t really have a use for the bigger back seat otherwise), but bother are missing the bigger fuel tank, alpine and trailer group. One has Premium Lights but no bed group and the other has the bed group but halogen lights. Leaning toward the one with the bed group instead. It looks like with level 2 you get everything you’d want in the tow group anyways other then trailer mirrors and the controller. Which can both be added later if needed, just at a higher cost. Not to mention buying one right now vs ordering a 2021 is faster and cheaper. So it’s kind of a toss up. Leaning towards the one with the bedliner group, I can always add the trailer brake controller later if I wanted and I’m sure the halogens are still pretty damn good in comparison to my ‘96 I just sold.
Also search for North Edition's. Similar to the ORP (less some of the skid plates) but with some extras and some deducts. Quad cab will get the best deal. Now that I learned the LED lights are not serviceable, I am kind of glad I went halogen. Bedliner/bed group you can add later for sure. Bigger fuel tank will be a challenge. Base audio is not that bad, you could add a subwoofer,

LIVINtheLIFE

Reaction score
Also search for North Edition's. Similar to the ORP (less some of the skid plates) but with some extras and some deducts. Quad cab will get the best deal. Now that I learned the LED lights are not serviceable, I am kind of glad I went halogen. Bedliner/bed group you can add later for sure. Bigger fuel tank will be a challenge. Base audio is not that bad, you could add a subwoofer,

your not wrong. I’ve weighed the options. I found a nice crew cab as well with all options I mentioned above right to the T. The only downside being the price vs the previous quad cab I found. We’ll see how I can deal with that. Otherwise I will sacrifice the smaller tank(only reason is range, doesn’t change mpg), LED’s and the quad cab. I have no kids or family, I just like keeping my hunting and fishing gear in the back seat and box open.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Love my 5th Gen. The only thing that concerns me with the RAMs is the hard dash material...they're prone to cracking where I live and that's why Ford started making Dash's out of a softer material.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Have never owned a Chrysler product before and still would not, if it were not for the 5th gen.
Same for me. I like the outside styling of the 4th gen but that's it.

I've had several 4th gen / Classic loaners when my truck was getting work done and, to me, there is no comparison. The 5th gen is way nicer than the 4th gen IMO.

I'm also coming from the HD 'club' (2003 Ford F-250 diesel) to the 1/2 ton crowd. I had no intention of getting a RAM but this is the only truck that had a similar personality to my HD Ford.

If there was no 5th gen RAM I would be in an F-150 instead.

nburd

Reaction score
your not wrong. I’ve weighed the options. I found a nice crew cab as well with all options I mentioned above right to the T. The only downside being the price vs the previous quad cab I found. We’ll see how I can deal with that. Otherwise I will sacrifice the smaller tank(only reason is range, doesn’t change mpg), LED’s and the quad cab. I have no kids or family, I just like keeping my hunting and fishing gear in the back seat and box open.
Plenty of room for gear in the back seat area of a crew. I was torn on the 6.5 vs 5.5 but needed a Crew for the fam and dogs. In my opinion, the truck looks better with the 6.5 and crew cab. There was an additional rebate of $1000 on long beds at the time as well so I could have had a North 6'5 crew level 2, 20's, 33 gallon, no eTorque, with bed group (but no alpine) for $42.9K ($53.9K sticker). But it's was over 20" longer than my Suburban I replaced and I knew the wife would not like that. The North has the sport body colored painted grille and bumpers which looks good. We shopped on a Sunday on the hottest day of the year (102 in new england) and we were on our way back from shopping for used Suburbans and Expedition Max's (1-2 years old, no buys at all, in New York over the last 2 days prior). When I looked back of the photos I took of the Night Crew 5'5" level 2 with Alpine, the next day, my mind was made up. The black interior, black wheels, boards, alpine and headlight accents sold me for $1K more. I called and locked it in. A bedliner for $149 solved the bed concerns and with the factory Tonneau (on the Night), you get the LED bed lights which I wanted. Car shopping can be fun. Understanding the Ram options and packages was fun as well. This was actually my first new vehicle purchase in 21 years (I have had 2 leases but not an outright purchase). No regrets so far except when the payment is due ( for a few minutes anyway). Enjoy and keep us posted!

Bought truck.jpg Almost bought truck.jpg

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I've had several 4th gen / Classic loaners when my truck was getting work done and, to me, there is no comparison. The 5th gen is way nicer than the 4th gen IMO.

I'm also coming from the HD 'club' (2003 Ford F-250 diesel) to the 1/2 ton crowd. I had no intention of getting a RAM but this is the only truck that had a similar personality to my HD Ford.

Same here! Came so close to getting a 2020 F150 STX FX4. But I got my 2019 RAM for $28k lol.

LIVINtheLIFE

Reaction score
Plenty of room for gear in the back seat area of a crew. I was torn on the 6.5 vs 5.5 but needed a Crew for the fam and dogs. In my opinion, the truck looks better with the 6.5 and crew cab. There was an additional rebate of $1000 on long beds at the time as well so I could have had a North 6'5 crew level 2, 20's, 33 gallon, no eTorque, with bed group (but no alpine) for $42.9K ($53.9K sticker). But it's was over 20" longer than my Suburban I replaced and I knew the wife would not like that. The North has the sport body colored painted grille and bumpers which looks good. We shopped on a Sunday on the hottest day of the year (102 in new england) and we were on our way back from shopping for used Suburbans and Expedition Max's (1-2 years old, no buys at all, in New York over the last 2 days prior). When I looked back of the photos I took of the Night Crew 5'5" level 2 with Alpine, the next day, my mind was made up. The black interior, black wheels, boards, alpine and headlight accents sold me for $1K more. I called and locked it in. A bedliner for $149 solved the bed concerns and with the factory Tonneau (on the Night), you get the LED bed lights which I wanted. Car shopping can be fun. Understanding the Ram options and packages was fun as well. This was actually my first new vehicle purchase in 21 years (I have had 2 leases but not an outright purchase). No regrets so far except when the payment is due ( for a few minutes anyway). Enjoy and keep us posted!

View attachment 71615 View attachment 71614
6.5” box is a must for me. Quad or crew doesn’t matter as much but if I can get the crew with the options I want then why not. I have 2 current contenders. BigHorn Quad 6.5 Level 2 w/ off-road, bedliner group, sport package for $62k. Or a BigHorn Crew 6.5 Level 2 w/ off-road group, bedliner group, premium lighting, premium sound, sport package, trailer tow package for $65k. Keep in mind these are sticker prices in Canada and it’s 0% finance as of now.

Users who are viewing this thread