5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New 3.0L Inline-6 has arrived

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The inline 6 will not have the GCWR for HD trucks.

Look at how the ecoD is at 15600 while the Hemi goes to 17000.

The 5.7l Hemi is gone from HD trucks because it maxed out on GCWR also.

5.7L had a respectable 20,300 lbs GCWR for its size

I don’t see how they would use an aluminum 3.0L engine block though. Every HD engine for Ram/GM/Ford uses an iron block

Phoon

Reaction score
Grand Wagoneer L is first vehicle to debut with the new 3.0L

SO: 420 hp/ 468 lb-ft
HO: 510 hp/ 500 lb-ft

Gets + 1mpg

Guess we will see what it does in the real world, could be better depending on driving style as the broad torque curve allows drivers to stay away from the high RPM's. 30 extra HP and 60 extra ft lbs in a package that is 100 lbs or so lighter than the 5.7 is enough for me to be interested.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Phoon

Reaction score
“The hurricane is rated at 16mpg combined.” That would be funny if it wasn’t so sad.
510 hp and 6500 lbs = lots of energy consumption... no surprise there. Try getting 40 more hp out of a 6.4 hemi while also increasing the mpg by 10%. I love the 6.4 hemi, but this new motor makes more power and creates less emissions which is essential to it being legal to drive thanks to the regulations. I am just glad they are still investing in ICE, not abandoning them for pure electric like some other brands.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
510 hp and 6500 lbs = lots of energy consumption... no surprise there. Try getting 40 more hp out of a 6.4 hemi while also increasing the mpg by 10%. I love the 6.4 hemi, but this new motor makes more power and creates less emissions which is essential to it being legal to drive thanks to the regulations. I am just glad they are still investing in ICE, not abandoning them for pure electric like some other brands.
I’m spoiled by turbo diesel.

BluegrassMotorsport

Reaction score
I think it's great they were able to get more power without losing efficiency. But without a major increase in fuel economy, it isn't worth me giving up the Hemi noise.

Last edited:

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Grand Wagoneer L is first vehicle to debut with the new 3.0L

SO: 420 hp/ 468 lb-ft
HO: 510 hp/ 500 lb-ft

Gets + 1 mpg

While 1 mpg is disappointing....multiplying this across millions of vehicles sold will result in major reduction in CAFE penalties.

Last edited:

Johnny_H

Reaction score
I think it's great they were able to get more power without losing efficiency. But without a major increase in fuel economy, it isn't worth me giving up the Hemi noise.

To some yes. But to a lot of people while 1mpg isn’t much, it’s the extra power and refinement of a turbo straight 6 without economic penalty that tips the scale. I’ve owned several hemis and a few straight 6 (mostly BMWs and driven a few Mercs with the new i6) and it really is a wonderful platform. Naturally balanced and the potential for wonderful engine noises. Some sound like dogshit but some sound great. Every i6 I’ve owned has had absolutely zero mechanical problems.

Also. Don’t let the pictures fool you the hurricane does not appear to be an overly complex package. Time will tell if it’s reliable, but I honestly have a lot of confidence in this motor.

I actually cancelled my Grand Wagoneer order last month - partly due to the bugs they were experiencing as I had a couple in my test vehicle worst being the windshield distortion - but mostly I want to wait the i6. Not so much for fuel economy, but because that 6.4 does not suit a luxury barge. It is simply too loud and unrefined and doesn’t match the character of the rest of the vehicle. While I love my 5.7 in my limited I would trade it for this i6 in a heartbeat as well. It’s a family hauler and not like my old sport or some rebels that do well with a 5.7 and a cat back.

Sometimes a quiet, boring, buttery smooth i6 with a massive flat torque curve is indeed superior to V8 rumble. But not always! Put that 6.4 in a Rebel and my Limited is gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I don't think anyone really thought a 4 cyl was going into a Ram 1500
I mean, the high output version is significantly “more engine” than the current 5.7 Hemi. So it wouldn’t be unreasonable.

jmt8706

Ram Guru
Reaction score

n9ne4

Reaction score
Would avoid the first MY of this for the ram. Do not care if it gets tested in the Jeep, same issues as ford had with the first ecoboosts/Tundra is having now.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I mean, the high output version is significantly “more engine” than the current 5.7 Hemi. So it wouldn’t be unreasonable.
The 3.0 is a 6 cylinder not a 4 cylinder. So yes the turbo 6 cylinder has better numbers. Show us the 4 cylinder that was going into a Ram.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
There’s no need for people to start being combative. Let’s chill out and have a good conversation.

Users who are viewing this thread