5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New 3.0L Inline-6 has arrived

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I would love to have seen a plug in hybrid truck years ago. Originally Rivian was planning one, but ditched it and went straight to the full EV. If Ram ends up making one paired with this new I6 engine, I will be trading in my Hemi right away.

Seems kind of doubtful the plug in hybrid truck will happen at this point, otherwise I feel like we would have seen it already. It would be nice to have a truck that runs electric for the first 30-40 miles (95% of my daily driving) then has the ICE for towing and long trips.

I think in terms of traditional trucks, it's the only way to get over the towing with range anxiety the first batch of EV trucks can't solve. The battery tech and infrastructure right now can't handle a traditional truck towing situation, but a hybrid can, especially if they make it a phev.

Stellantis has already going that way with the Wrangler 4XE and now Grand Cherokee 4XE, plug in hybrids. They did mention for their future EV RAM, it will have something no EV truck has, essentially a range extender. Not exactly a Phev, but I can see them doing a RAM 4XE as well, just matches what they are doing now.

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think in terms of traditional trucks, it's the only way to get over the towing with range anxiety the first batch of EV trucks can't solve. The battery tech and infrastructure right now can't handle a traditional truck towing situation, but a hybrid can, especially if they make it a phev.

Stellantis has already going that way with the Wrangler 4XE and now Grand Cherokee 4XE, plug in hybrids. They did mention for their future EV RAM, it will have something no EV truck has, essentially a range extender. Not exactly a Phev, but I can see them doing a RAM 4XE as well, just matches what they are doing now.
Agreed. The wifes 2015 Grand cherokee is getting up there in age and mileage and I think that Wrangler 4XE is going to be our next ride.

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I wonder if this inline 6 turbo will be smoother than the ecoboost V-6 turbo?
I had a 2.7 ecoboost, and while it was fast AF, it was not very smooth at light to moderate acceleration levels. It was 'jerky' until you cranked up the boost.
I've found it's tough to find a direct inject turbo engine that's nice and smooth at normal throttle applications.

HEMIJAKE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
500 hp in a lighter package is definitely intriguing. Sound, to me, might be the only downfall. With a good exhaust though, who knows. Not hemi v8 good, but could still be good. I've had 3 ecoboost fords. A 15 2.7 f150, 18 2.3 mustang (tuned on e30), and a 19 2.3 ranger. They were all impressive little motors and got great mileage when I tried to (eco or boost, not both). People all over the internet were always worried about blowing them up. In my opinion, they can be great and dependable if taken care of. Use good octane fuel, a good synthetic oil and change it often, use a catch can to keep carbon buildup away, and don't lug it in low gear (low speed pre ignition). When this engine comes available, I'll definitely take a look.

Scram1500

Reaction score
The one great thing about it is the inline configuration, inherently balanced and 40% less moving parts than a V6

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I wonder if this inline 6 turbo will be smoother than the ecoboost V-6 turbo?
I had a 2.7 ecoboost, and while it was fast AF, it was not very smooth at light to moderate acceleration levels. It was 'jerky' until you cranked up the boost.
I've found it's tough to find a direct inject turbo engine that's nice and smooth at normal throttle applications.
This engine should run much smoother than a v6. Like Scram said, inline 6 engines are inherently balanced, which naturally lends itself to smooth running. It's why luxury car makers generally avoid v6 configurations.

Edit: I've lost any interest in this engine after reading the Road & Track article which states that this engine will be direct injection.

Last edited:
U

User_3336

Turbos are a complicated mess, let alone two turbos. I assume this is direct injection with a wastegate that dumps into the intake? Carbon build up on the valves should be a nice treat after a few thousand miles and we won't even get the joy of blow-off noise
All the problems the ECOBOOST has encountered in the F150. NO THANKS!

Drivinfast247

Reaction score
Turbos are a complicated mess, let alone two turbos. I assume this is direct injection with a wastegate that dumps into the intake? Carbon build up on the valves should be a nice treat after a few thousand miles and we won't even get the joy of blow-off noise
A wastegate dumps into the exhaust. A blow-off valve can dump into the intake.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Pass. All I see is future problems for a few years until they figure it out. Hopefully they still offer the 5.7 or better yet 6.4 for us 1500 guys. Numbers do look good but let’s face it just like ford those Ecoboost have a ton of problems rather stick with the reliable Hemi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
U

User_3336

Pass. All I see is future problems for a few years until they figure it out. Hopefully they still offer the 5.7 or better yet 6.2 for us 1500 guys. Numbers do look good but let’s face it just like ford those Ecoboost have a ton of problems rather stick with the reliable Hemi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Even The Ford Ranger's with the 2.3 ecoboost's are having tons of issues, including
gas in the oil.

Johnny_H

Reaction score
This engine should run much smoother than a v6. Like Scram said, inline 6 engines are inherently balanced, which naturally lends itself to smooth running. It's why luxury car makers generally avoid v6 configurations.

Edit: I've lost any interest in this engine after reading the Road & Track article which states that this engine will be direct injection.

Why are you turned off by DI?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Showing up as $2,000 option on the Grand Wagoneer, means maybe Hemi will hang around a little longer?

D99ED549-A1E3-48A6-ACB7-7D1A7340A974.jpeg

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Why are you turned off by DI?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's fine if I'm not planning on keeping it for a long time. But it causes problems later in an engine's life. A catch can helps a lot, but they don't eliminate the problem. I'm not going to go into the details here. There's plenty of information available on the internet if you want to know more about it. Just search on gasoline direct injection.

brewdad

Reaction score
Something else for future Grand Wagoneer buyers to consider before shelling out another $2,000.00 for the "engine upgrade"----Start/Stop is standard on both HO and SO Inline engines which adds the problems of having an auxillary battery. There is no Start/Stop and no auxillary battery with the standard Hemi 6.4L engine.

Scram1500

Reaction score
Screenshot_20220326-212327~2.png

There's also added cost of the cam driven high pressure fuel pump and injectors designed to handle the combustion chamber

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Something else for future Grand Wagoneer buyers to consider before shelling out another $2,000.00 for the "engine upgrade"----Start/Stop is standard on both HO and SO Inline engines which adds the problems of having an auxillary battery. There is no Start/Stop and no auxillary battery with the standard Hemi 6.4L engine.
With only 250k production capacity, I wonder if this will just supplement the 5.7L as a premium engine option like Grand Wagoneer

CCA

Reaction score
Came across this leaked photo:

More info now available:

Standard output: 400 hp / 450 lb-ft

High Output: 500 hp / 475 lb-ft

“90 percent of peak torque available from 2,350 rpm to redline”

Engine weight
SO 3.0L: 430 lbs
HO 3.0L: 441 lbs
5.7L V8: 485 lbs

What a absolute beauty! I was just reading this yahoo thread on that.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I love a turbo I6- the sounds from them is so unique and pleasant to the ear. All the extra crap added to that engine looks like a nightmare to diagnose and repair.

Users who are viewing this thread