5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New '23 Ram makes strange noises when starting in cold weather, under 2k miles

PeterTX

Reaction score
When cold starting especially in cold/freezing weather my truck started making a noise like a bad bearing, something metallic rubbing and chirping. It lasts for about a minute or two and then runs normally as far as I can tell. No engine/service light.

I took it to the dealer at like 1200 miles and after they had it for about 24 hours they said the belt and tensioner had to be replaced. It was noise free for about a week and then it returned as the weather got cold where I currently am.

So I called the dealer back and took it in again, this time they had it for over a week and replaced the belt and tensioner(s) again (and tried a bunch of other things that didn't fix it). In the end they said the belt had been installed incorrectly at the factory and so the first repair they had also installed it the same way incorrectly. They said the wrong routing was maxing out the tensioner(s).

I didn't notice any noise when I first started it after the second repair but I don't know how long they had it sitting, it takes several hours of being off to reliably reproduce the noises. As soon as I started it the next day however the noise came back, the noise is back but it's slightly less loud than before. Something like a bearing is making noise/chirping still.

The dealer thankfully gave me a loaner with the exact same 3.6L Pentastar engine (minus eTorque) and starting that in the cold sounds nothing like my truck. It sounds like a normal v6 starting.

What do I need to tell the dealer next time? I'm getting a little tired of this and I'm worried my engine is damaged beyond repair now.

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
When cold starting especially in cold/freezing weather my truck started making a noise like a bad bearing, something metallic rubbing and chirping. It lasts for about a minute or two and then runs normally as far as I can tell. No engine/service light.

I took it to the dealer at like 1200 miles and after they had it for about 24 hours they said the belt and tensioner had to be replaced. It was noise free for about a week and then it returned as the weather got cold where I currently am.

So I called the dealer back and took it in again, this time they had it for over a week and replaced the belt and tensioner(s) again (and tried a bunch of other things that didn't fix it). In the end they said the belt had been installed incorrectly at the factory and so the first repair they had also installed it the same way incorrectly. They said the wrong routing was maxing out the tensioner(s).

I didn't notice any noise when I first started it after the second repair but I don't know how long they had it sitting, it takes several hours of being off to reliably reproduce the noises. As soon as I started it the next day however the noise came back, the noise is back but it's slightly less loud than before. Something like a bearing is making noise/chirping still.

The dealer thankfully gave me a loaner with the exact same 3.6L Pentastar engine (minus eTorque) and starting that in the cold sounds nothing like my truck. It sounds like a normal v6 starting.

What do I need to tell the dealer next time? I'm getting a little tired of this and I'm worried my engine is damaged beyond repair now.
On the plus side I really don’t think you’ll have any engine damage . Maybe have them check the water pump ? I read about the water pump seizing on a 5.7 but it can happen on a 3.6 too I assume .

PeterTX

Reaction score
I can't be sure yet but the chirping noise seems faster after the second repair than before. Could rerouting the belt a different way cause something to spin faster? that faster spinner could be the problem.

Just spitballing, I've watched a lot of teardown vids but I'm no mechanic.

Users who are viewing this thread