5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New 23 Etorque - MDS Deactivation

mjmack

Reaction score
I just picked up a new 2023 Big Horn with the 5.7 Etorque. i traded in my 2016 5.7. Love the 23 so far and loved my 16.

I always used the +/- in my 16 to deactivate the MDS mode to, in my mind, protect against lifter failure (right or wrong), but also it just ran much better, didn't lug etc.

I have been continuing this habit in the 2023 so far, and it also deactivates the start/stop feature. I am wondering if doing so routinely would cause any damage to the etorque system by lessening it's usage and impacting the battery life. I have driven it without the +/- and it drives excellent, far less luggy than my 16 was but am not a huge fan of the start/stop.

Is there any benefit to the engine to continually use the +/-, or is this an endless debate with zealots on both sides?

Thank you

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
Is there any benefit to the engine to continually use the +/-, or is this an endless debate with zealots on both sides?

Thank you
it is an endless debate
others will explain it differently
the +/- button only tells the transmission what gear to stay in.
the stop start feature only stops the engine when you are at a stop light/sign of other reasons to stop. it not stopping should not affect the 48 volt system as it only gets charged when the generator is spinning. in case you did not know your truck does not have an alternator, it has a generator.

Users who are viewing this thread