5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New 21 Quad Cab Big Horn

2021QCBH

Reaction score
First post here so hello! Lifelong Mopar guy and first new truck purchase ever. I have owned many many vehicles just never anything brand new. Picked up my 2021 QC Bighorn base with 3.21s and Hemi. Settled missing a few options because the deal was so good. Ended up negotiating 9200 below MSRP in this market. The truck is a base Bighorn 4x4 in granite crystal with 18" wheels. Settled for no factory hitch or limited slip but with the auto T case the limited slip should be missed much in rain or snow (no off roading here). Will start my towing usage this weekend. 2 weeks after it will run a Indianapolis to Austin TX trip towing 4500 lbs both ways. I did tow with a similar truck 3.21/hemi and it had fabulous power and amazing brakes even compared to my 2010.

First week reflections. The thing is an absolute dream to drive (came from most recently a one owner cream puff 08 Hemi 1500). Also owned a 2010 2wd 1500 that was a complete dumpsterfire but I loved it when it was working properly. I have seen lots of mixed reviews on the current Hemi MPG. On my way home mostly 50-60 mph trying to stay within the break in recommendations I averaged 22.4 mpg with plenty of mid range WOT pulls. I traveled to my family lake house about 240 miles. The next day I headed home into a 18 mph head wind and 55-60 mph roads. The trip home included low speed futzing at the cabin and more WOT pulls. By the time we grabbed dinner the dash meter showed 19.7 mpg and when I filled up I hand calculated 19.4. Not too shabby I think for not fully broken in and running harder than normal for the break in process.

I re filled to start my work week which is generally all city but 50 mph or so shorter runs if I get the stoplights to line up. I have been doing a little more highway this week so far picking up bed covers and shopping etc. So far for the week the meter on the dash is averaging 18.2. Before I head out of town this weekend I will hand calc when I fill up again. I am thrilled with the economy so far based on all the lackluster MPG reports online.

Anyhow, glad to be here and the truck seems to be the real deal so far. Already cracked the windshield on the way home and took a random highway rock to the front passenger door..... We just can't have nice things.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
welcome to the forum
question on this statement "Settled for no factory hitch "

there was not a two inch hole in the back?

post some pictures we all like pictures

2021QCBH

Reaction score
I’ll get some photos loaded when I can.
A 2” receiver is an option. When ordered without you get basically the same structure under the bumper but it has an extension to hold a ball through the bumper. This drops it to a class III hitch with a max tow of 6000lbs. Chrysler used to offer an option of an add on receiver but as far as I can tell they don’t on the current DT.

I had to go with a Curt brand add on. Normally I tow 4000-4500 lbs so it should be fine. Even my car on our trailer is right at 6k so if I ever have the need for more I can order the factory hitch assembly for 240 bucks. It requires bumper removal and I’m not quite ready to start pulling body parts off my brand new truck.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
I’ll get some photos loaded when I can.
A 2” receiver is an option. When ordered without you get basically the same structure under the bumper but it has an extension to hold a ball through the bumper. This drops it to a class III hitch with a max tow of 6000lbs. Chrysler used to offer an option of an add on receiver but as far as I can tell they don’t on the current DT.

I had to go with a Curt brand add on. Normally I tow 4000-4500 lbs so it should be fine. Even my car on our trailer is right at 6k so if I ever have the need for more I can order the factory hitch assembly for 240 bucks. It requires bumper removal and I’m not quite ready to start pulling body parts off my brand new truck.
care to post your vin?

Users who are viewing this thread