5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New 2023 Ram died in the middle of the road!

RamBum

Reaction score
I was driving my five day old 2023 RAM Laramie home from getting the windows tinted yesterday when all kinds of warning lights started going off. I think the first one was "Electric Stability Control Off". It was still driving OK, so I tried to get it home. A few miles later I started getting a bunch more lights, and all of the gauges quit working, and the windshield wipers came on and would not shut off! It was in limp mode and I had about a mile to go to get home, so I kept driving. Would have made it, I think, but a guy in front of me stopped, so I had to, and once I quit moving the truck died completely. No lights, nothing. I tried pulling the orange rope behind the panel under the parking brake so I could move the car to the side, but that didn't work either! Called a tow truck. The tow driver couldn't get anything to work either, and we were trying to figure out how he was going to move the truck onto his tower. He hit the run button for about the 20th time, and some of the lights came on! He as able to get it into neutral long enough to get it loaded. Got it to the dealer, and everything was still dead. Waiting to see what they find. Has anybody else heard of anything like this??

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I was driving my five day old 2023 RAM Laramie home from getting the windows tinted yesterday when all kinds of warning lights started going off. I think the first one was "Electric Stability Control Off". It was still driving OK, so I tried to get it home. A few miles later I started getting a bunch more lights, and all of the gauges quit working, and the windshield wipers came on and would not shut off! It was in limp mode and I had about a mile to go to get home, so I kept driving. Would have made it, I think, but a guy in front of me stopped, so I had to, and once I quit moving the truck died completely. No lights, nothing. I tried pulling the orange rope behind the panel under the parking brake so I could move the car to the side, but that didn't work either! Called a tow truck. The tow driver couldn't get anything to work either, and we were trying to figure out how he was going to move the truck onto his tower. He hit the run button for about the 20th time, and some of the lights came on! He as able to get it into neutral long enough to get it loaded. Got it to the dealer, and everything was still dead. Waiting to see what they find. Has anybody else heard of anything like this??
Did you get the windshield tinted? If so, they fried the computer. Multiple posts of incompetent tinters doing so, by getting it wet.

RamBum

Reaction score
Wonderful. Can't wait to see the bill from the dealer..... And yes, I did get the windshield tinted. Had my last truck done, and never had any issues. Missed all of the posts as well.

6of36

Reaction score
99.9999999% that's it. They put 1 main computer right where tinting gets it wet, and the RF hub under the leaky rear windows. Not great engineering.

6of36

Reaction score
Just write tinting in the search box at the top of the page.

RamBum

Reaction score
Now I see it. Should have looked before I got the tint, but I just had no idea it was an issue.

John Galt

Reaction score
Ugh…..I guess I really need to find someone who knows what they’re doing.

wonder if the local dealer will let me who they use even though I ended up not buying from them. They’re great at tacking on overpriced extras though so I’m sure they have someone.

6of36

Reaction score
Ugh…..I guess I really need to find someone who knows what they’re doing.

wonder if the local dealer will let me who they use even though I ended up not buying from them. They’re great at tacking on overpriced extras though so I’m sure they have someone.
Just make sure they have experience with newer Rams, and know the precautions.

John Galt

Reaction score
Just make sure they have experience with newer Rams, and know the precautions.
going to ask to see their insurance and make sure I get something in writing stating that they’ll if they screw up they’ll cover it.

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
had my windows tinted last month, I went to 4 shops and none gave me the confidence to do the windshield so I just did everything but the windshield. didn't want to risk it

John Galt

Reaction score
had my windows tinted last month, I went to 4 shops and none gave me the confidence to do the windshield so I just did everything but the windshield. didn't want to risk it
At the end of the day, one of those ghetto windshield reflectors is cheaper than a new computer.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
BCM is cooked, circuit board is corroded. We just had a new one in last week, same issue. Very reputable company, paid to have it fixed. Good luck!

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm getting mine tinted tomorrow and I'm staying in the shop while they do it. I've already talked to them about their water usage, not only for the computers but also for the Limited leather dash. Fingers crossed.

Av1

Reaction score
Now I see it. Should have looked before I got the tint, but I just had no idea it was an issue.

What bad luck. I hope it's not too painful getting it sorted out.

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm getting mine tinted tomorrow and I'm staying in the shop while they do it. I've already talked to them about their water usage, not only for the computers but also for the Limited leather dash. Fingers crossed.
If you don't see them take some kind of similar precaution - don't risk it - you might have seen this videos but just in case here these are

John Galt

Reaction score
Hmmmmm…..he’s in Georgia. I find myself there from time to time…..might be worth waiting and getting it done there….

anyone know a similar installer in the Houston area?

Users who are viewing this thread