5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New 2021 Ram with an Issue

Whiteymin

Reaction score
I purchased a new 2021 Ram 1500 Big Horn Night Edition near the end of July. It is a very sharp truck. I’ve done quiet a bit. I’ve had a bed liner sprayed in, tinted the windows, Added aeroskin hood deflector and window visors, had new heavy duty tires put on , and added air lift air bags to the rear. Shortly after buying it I begin to notice a slight vibration in the area of 2000 RPMs and 50- 57 mph. It sounds rhythmic and like it is turning. Kind of like a hum /vibration but can feel it in steering wheel too. I have read the post on MDS, Eco, and ANC. I bought a bypass harness for the ANC. Actually 2. One was Idatalink and the other was pac. The pac plugs back into the anc module. No improvement. The idatalink seems like it helps some. It does not plug back into module. Anyway the vibration/ hum continues. Sometimes worse than others. It is almost like something overtorquing or maybe some kind of a compression issue in the exhaust. I thought maybe it was a breakin thing so I decided to put 1000 miles on it to see if it went away. It’s one of those things that in any other vehicle I would say there is something wrong with it. In this Ram based on what I’ve read I am betwixt it being normal or something wrong. At any rate it is beginning to frustrate me. The more post I read the more hopeless and frustrated I become. If using the gear limiter/ tow haul button, and bypass harness does not work does anyone have any ideas what this is? Thanks for any and all help.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
I purchased a new 2021 Ram 1500 Big Horn Night Edition near the end of July. It is a very sharp truck. I’ve done quiet a bit. I’ve had a bed liner sprayed in, tinted the windows, Added aeroskin hood deflector and window visors, had new heavy duty tires put on , and added air lift air bags to the rear. Shortly after buying it I begin to notice a slight vibration in the area of 2000 RPMs and 50- 57 mph. It sounds rhythmic and like it is turning. Kind of like a hum /vibration but can feel it in steering wheel too. I have read the post on MDS, Eco, and ANC. I bought a bypass harness for the ANC. Actually 2. One was Idatalink and the other was pac. The pac plugs back into the anc module. No improvement. The idatalink seems like it helps some. It does not plug back into module. Anyway the vibration/ hum continues. Sometimes worse than others. It is almost like something overtorquing or maybe some kind of a compression issue in the exhaust. I thought maybe it was a breakin thing so I decided to put 1000 miles on it to see if it went away. It’s one of those things that in any other vehicle I would say there is something wrong with it. In this Ram based on what I’ve read I am betwixt it being normal or something wrong. At any rate it is beginning to frustrate me. The more post I read the more hopeless and frustrated I become. If using the gear limiter/ tow haul button, and bypass harness does not work does anyone have any ideas what this is? Thanks for any and all help.
you told us you have a 2021 Ram 1500 Big Horn Night Edition, what engine, what gear in the rear, what options were from the factory and what have you done that might have messed with any factory items
this will help us

Last edited:

Whiteymin

Reaction score
It has the 5.7 Hemi engine 3.92 gears. Trailer brake controller with class IV hitch receiver and both tow plugs. 8.4” connect screen. Has sway bar control. As far as changes I’ve made beside good protector as new tires and most recent was air bags in the rear coils. However, the issue was there before I made any changes. Again I was going to give it 1000 miles to see if it straightened out on its own. It hasn’t.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
It has the 5.7 Hemi engine 3.92 gears. Trailer brake controller with class IV hitch receiver and both tow plugs. 8.4” connect screen. Has sway bar control. As far as changes I’ve made beside good protector as new tires and most recent was air bags in the rear coils. However, the issue was there before I made any changes. Again I was going to give it 1000 miles to see if it straightened out on its own. It hasn’t.
is it the e-torque?

Whiteymin

Reaction score
Also there doesn’t seem to be any loss of power. The truck feels strong

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
can you get a video like

Whiteymin

Reaction score
I will try to get video tomorrow. I watched the one you sent and mine is nothing like that. Let me add few things to description. It is not constant. It happens in certain rpm ranges and speeds. Mostly 2000 rpm snd 50-57mph. It sounds like it is turning. It’s a hum then quiet until it gets back around and hum again and repeating cycle. If I give it gas it will quit until it settles again into place and then the hum /vibration returns.
(Another way I can describe it is think of driving a standard shift vehicle. You shift into a higher gear but not going quiet fast enough to be in that gear. You hear or feel that hum/vibration. No jerking or hopping just a hum sort of. You quickly downshift and it smoothed out. )
Like I said though it happens like it’s turning and every other rotation you hear and slightly feel the hum/ vibration.

Last edited:

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So if you press the minus button on the steering wheel, does it go away? If it does, then it's MDS causing the vibration.
In my 2500 Tradesman the vibration is much more present than it was in my 1500 Laramie, in the 1500 I could barely tell other than the exhaust note and lack of power. My 2500 I get the noise and vibration that I think you are talking about.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
So if you press the minus button on the steering wheel, does it go away? If it does, then it's MDS causing the vibration.
In my 2500 Tradesman the vibration is much more present than it was in my 1500 Laramie, in the 1500 I could barely tell other than the exhaust note and lack of power. My 2500 I get the noise and vibration that I think you are talking about.
so the mds can be turned off?

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Does it feel like a high pitch vibration? It could be bad u-joints in the drive shaft. A lower pitched vibration would be rims or tires

Whiteymin

Reaction score
It’s a lower pitch. I have actually 989 miles on it. It had maybe 5 miles miles on it when I bought it. In fact they had just put it on lot that morning. This hum was present on the factory Bridgestone tires and it is present on the current General ATX tires I put on it. Same hum. It kind like a drawn out throbbing that sounds out in a steady pattern. Like hum and then fade to none then hum and then fade to none and repeats. About 1/2 sec between hums as if it’s circling. If I accelerate harshly it quits. If I let off gas and speed and rpms drop, it quits

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It’s a lower pitch. I have actually 989 miles on it. It had maybe 5 miles miles on it when I bought it. In fact they had just put it on lot that morning. This hum was present on the factory Bridgestone tires and it is present on the current General ATX tires I put on it. Same hum. It kind like a drawn out throbbing that sounds out in a steady pattern. Like hum and then fade to none then hum and then fade to none and repeats. About 1/2 sec between hums as if it’s circling. If I accelerate harshly it quits. If I let off gas and speed and rpms drop, it quits
It sounds like MDS to me, using the +/- on the steering wheel(hit the minus first) put the number on the dash to 8. If you no longer get the noise then that's what it is.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It sounds like MDS to me, using the +/- on the steering wheel(hit the minus first) put the number on the dash to 8. If you no longer get the noise then that's what it is.
Winner winner, chicken dinner

Whiteymin

Reaction score
Ok after driving today, I confirm the hum is at 2000 rpm and 50-57 mph. Once I hit 58 mph it goes away or if I drop below 50mph it goes away and or if RPM Drop or rise above 2000 rpm. While it was doing it today I tried switching to nuetral and no difference. I hit gear minus on steering wheel and no difference, I hit tow/ haul mode button and no difference. It stays. If I let my foot off gas pedal the hum goes away. ANC is bypassed Why would it just be limited to this RPM range and speed range and not be present if outside of those ranges? Could it be exhaust or muffler related ??? Or maybe that barking up the wrong tree. Anyone have any ideas in light of that new information.?

Users who are viewing this thread