5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New 2021 Ram 1500 Limited. Anything that is a must buy add on?

kysourmash

Reaction score
I bought the 8 yr 125,000 extended warranty. Used the information here to negotiate the price down.

Anything else that is a recommended buy?

Roaddog359

Reaction score
BUG, Multi tailgate, rambox. oh heck I think got everything but the kitchen sink and the trailer steering, skid plates.

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Welcome , just get anything you think you can’t live without . Oh and anything you might like .

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Welcome aboard!

I'd buy as many car parts stickers as possible (K&N, JEGS, etc.), and paste them all over your back window. Each adds approximately 5 HP. 😁

Seriously though, do some searching here. This forum will make you empty your wallet if you're not careful.
First thing I did was purchase an oil catch can, same thing I've done for my past three Hemi vehicles. I'd recommend looking at all the opinions on it and decide for yourself if you'd like to do it or not.
Second thing was quality all terrain tires for the snow. (I only run one set of tires year-around, I don't want to spare the room in the garage for two extra sets of rims/tires.)

kysourmash

Reaction score
Welcome aboard!

I'd buy as many car parts stickers as possible (K&N, JEGS, etc.), and paste them all over your back window. Each adds approximately 5 HP. 😁

Seriously though, do some searching here. This forum will make you empty your wallet if you're not careful.
First thing I did was purchase an oil catch can, same thing I've done for my past three Hemi vehicles. I'd recommend looking at all the opinions on it and decide for yourself if you'd like to do it or not.
Second thing was quality all terrain tires for the snow. (I only run one set of tires year-around, I don't want to spare the room in the garage for two extra sets of rims/tires.)
Thanks for the reply

Mine came with a spray in bed liner. Anything else I need or should want?

I had never heard of an oil catch can. Is that a diy install? How much to have it installed?

Laramie6x6

Reaction score
Oil catch can isn’t really needed because hemi engine is port injected. Get a tonneau cover if you don’t already have one. Other than that, unless you are really into mods, the truck is pretty great as it is!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

broken_vet

Reaction score
Over the 9 months since I got my Limited, I've done window tint, Lomax tonneau, ceramic coating, ppf, Husky mud guards, Mopar slush mats, screen protector for uconnect, and a flag decal for the shift knob. Just received the Helwig anti-sway bar, but haven't installed yet. It really is too easy to spend money on it.

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Oil catch can isn’t really needed because hemi engine is port injected. Get a tonneau cover if you don’t already have one. Other than that, unless you are really into mods, the truck is pretty great as it is!

Needed, no. Does it help? Absolutely. It keeps the engine running cleaner, better. As I said, I've installed many of these, and all of them have kept a ton of oil from going through the engine. I was a bit skeptical on my first one, years ago, until oil change time when I went to check it.

rtslab

Reaction score
Needed, no. Does it help? Absolutely. It keeps the engine running cleaner, better. As I said, I've installed many of these, and all of them have kept a ton of oil from going through the engine. I was a bit skeptical on my first one, years ago, until oil change time when I went to check it.
Why doesn't eco diesel need a oil catch can as HEMI does?

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
To answer your question on the catch can...it's a can that gets installed inline with the PCV. Years ago, the crankcase vapors, that include oil and unused gas, would be released via a tube that vented at the bottom of the engine, towards the ground. That's why the roads were slippery when it first started to rain. The EPA said this "dumping" of oil is bad for the environment, so the car manufacturers ran a tube from the crankcase vent back into the intake to be mixed with fresh gas and to be burned again. This causes the intake to get really dirty with oil vapor buildup.

The catch can is a small can that goes inline with this venting system to capture the unspent oil so it doesn't get put into the intake. At every oil change, you can open the can and see how much oil it captures, and dispose of it with the used oil.

They are quick to install, cost less than $200, and in many cases, less than $150. Turbos and Supercharged cars can really benefit from the cans. It has been questioned if the amount of oil being captured is worth the cost and time to deal with on a naturally aspirated car or truck. The higher performance engines show the most benefit.

aswetich

Reaction score
Consider getting a Bed Rug. It really dresses up the truck and is very functional.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Laramie6x6

Reaction score

Yes it will catch oil, but in port injected engine oil has a chance to mix with fuel so there are no deposits. Direct injected engines are a different story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aswetich

Reaction score
It's like heavy duty trunk carpet. Check out the reviews anywhere, it's one of the highest rated products I've ever seen.

8f25050a841f997e645c81c8fa66d809.jpg

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

iLikeTurtles

Reaction score
My mod list plus...
Hellwig sway bar. Revel links, daystar spacers and some nice 35s.

Minus third brake light shenanigans of course because of your fancy LED.

Last edited:

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yes it will catch oil, but in port injected engine oil has a chance to mix with fuel so there are no deposits. Direct injected engines are a different story.

Ever take the air tube and throttle body off one of our Hemis after 50k miles, 75k, or more?
The bottom of the throttle body plate and many parts of the intake's insides are covered in oil residue/gunk.

Deposits that will build up like a direct injection and potentially cause major issues, no. But there are still deposits made.
No offense intended, but please do not tell me there are "no deposits" if you've never opened up (so to speak) one of the medium-high mileage Hemis that never had a catch can.

Back to the original topic... I forgot about the Hellwig. Mine's on order, should be here Monday. Another decent mod, even if you don't tow. Had one on my 2014 Ram as well before I traded it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online