5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New 2019 Rebel wanders on road

salmonbum

Reaction score
Something is decidedly wrong if that's the case. Is it pulling one direction more than another? Any clunks or noises from the suspension? Does everything look right under the truck? If it's that bad, you might be able to see what the issue is.

No noises or pattern of pull. Everything looks normal. I'm not gonna spend too much of my time chasing this down. It's the dealers job and I will hold the accountable and make them do the work.

Chippy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No noises or pattern of pull. Everything looks normal. I'm not gonna spend too much of my time chasing this down. It's the dealers job and I will hold the accountable and make them do the work.
Good idea I think you have something wrong as well my changes were never made due to the truck feeling unsafe. My mods just made it a little better.

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
1000%. I was asking out of curiosity more than anything. Good luck... I hope it all works out.

salmonbum

Reaction score
Update. Got a VM from SA. The SA, tech and salesman all agree something is very wrong. They have a call into FCA as they dont know what could be causing the problem. Not good for a truck I just drove off the lot. I have less than 2 weeks to get the truck ready the way I need it for Colorado \Moab. Told my salesman he may want to figure out how to back out of sale, as end of next week is my cutoff for a solution. I wish I had time for them to throw parts at it, but I dont. Which we all know that is what FCA will tell the dealer to do.

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Anyway you can trace the history of the vin before you bought it? I'm starting to think that truck got damaged and "fixed" incorrectly.

mac1983620

Reaction score
Mine wandered bad at first. I have about 700 miles now, and put the air pressure to 55/45 and no more wandering.

_StangPGH

Reaction score
Looks like the OP has other issues but Rebels ship with 65psig and the dealers don't always check it. Had the same wondering issue as others but lowered the pressure and all good. Now go add a Hellwig RSB and you'll realize how bad it actually handles in corners stock.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Mustangmike66

Reaction score
Just reduced the air pressure in my Rebel, I’ll take it for a drive after the USC game to see if it makes a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

odhinnhrafn

Reaction score
Looks like the OP has other issues but Rebels ship with 65psig and the dealers don't always check it. Had the same wondering issue as others but lowered the pressure and all good. Now go add a Hellwig RSB and you'll realize how bad it actually handles in corners stock.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Is this on a rebel? This truck wallows through corners, compared to my lowered S4, but it handles exactly how I feel a lifted TRUCK on large tires would. These ride smooth and comfortable, but they're not racecars... They're 7k lbs of metal. Why is everyone trying to get it to car levels of handling? Buy a car for that.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Mustangmike66

Reaction score
I may have to take it to the dealer it still pulls to the right after lowering my air pressures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My girlfriends 2019 Cherokee felt very darty to me and never felt right on the highway. The rear alignmemt was out and after a trip to the dealer it drives great.

Out of the 4 FCA vehchles I've purchased in the last 4 years 3 out of them needed an alignment (My ram needed two to get the steering perfectly straight).

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My girlfriends 2019 Cherokee felt very darty to me and never felt right on the highway. The rear alignmemt was out and after a trip to the dealer it drives great.

Out of the 4 FCA vehchles I've purchased in the last 4 years 3 out of them needed an alignment (My ram needed two to get the steering perfectly straight).
I think a lot of this depends on what you're definition of "straight" is. Truly straight, or driving straight in relation to the crown in the road? Because in truth those two things are mutually exclusive.

Big BLU

Reaction score
It's air. Especially in the rear being that high it will float. After that take straight to the dealer. Still an issue, did they drive it those 370 miles or trailer. They might have driven it wrong. You spent too much money for them to not care. Good luck.

salmonbum

Reaction score
It's air. Especially in the rear being that high it will float. After that take straight to the dealer. Still an issue, did they drive it those 370 miles or trailer. They might have driven it wrong. You spent too much money for them to not care. Good luck.

That's was my 1st question to salesman. How did someone drive this 370 miles and not say anything to me? On top of that, the black grill was stained white . That means they didnt even walk around the truck to check for damage.

I asked why I didnt get a PDI form and they replied the original dealer would have done that. How does someone do a PDI as soon as its delivered from the plant and can see I to the future how long its sits?....... I.E..... damage, tire pressure low, weather fallout etc? I had to explain to the PRE Delivery Inspection means an inspection before delivery to customer. That truck could have been at original dealer for 6 months

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@salmonbum...

Edmunds has a long term review of a Jeep Rubicon. One of their monthly updates talks about the Jeep wandering on the highway and paved roads. Turns out the culprits were leaking/compromised shocks that they replaced under warranty. They drove the jeep down some pretty rough roads... I saw one of their videos where this road toasted the shocks on a Tacoma after 4 miles. What you've experiencing seems similar though more severe.
That's was my 1st question to salesman. How did someone drive this 370 miles and not say anything to me? On top of that, the black grill was stained white . That means they didnt even walk around the truck to check for damage.

I asked why I didnt get a PDI form and they replied the original dealer would have done that. How does someone do a PDI as soon as its delivered from the plant and can see I to the future how long its sits?....... I.E..... damage, tire pressure low, weather fallout etc? I had to explain to the PRE Delivery Inspection means an inspection before delivery to customer. That truck could have been at original dealer for 6 months
Are you saying the truck went from one dealership to another? Seems like a red flag to me.

I was reading a Jeep Rubicon long term review on Edmunds the other day. They had leaking/compromised shocks and as a result their Jeep was exhibiting similar behavior as your truck... maybe not as extreme. As you said, 370 miles and no one notices how your truck drives? No. Someone is not owning up to something. Plenty of stories of cars and trucks getting damaged on "test drives" at dealers and repair shops. I got a bad feeling someone decided to have some fun with your truck, blew out a shock or two, cleaned up the mess and passed the truck on to you without a word.

mac1983620

Reaction score
@salmonbum...

Edmunds has a long term review of a Jeep Rubicon. One of their monthly updates talks about the Jeep wandering on the highway and paved roads. Turns out the culprits were leaking/compromised shocks that they replaced under warranty. They drove the jeep down some pretty rough roads... I saw one of their videos where this road toasted the shocks on a Tacoma after 4 miles. What you've experiencing seems similar though more severe.

Are you saying the truck went from one dealership to another? Seems like a red flag to me.

I was reading a Jeep Rubicon long term review on Edmunds the other day. They had leaking/compromised shocks and as a result their Jeep was exhibiting similar behavior as your truck... maybe not as extreme. As you said, 370 miles and no one notices how your truck drives? No. Someone is not owning up to something. Plenty of stories of cars and trucks getting damaged on "test drives" at dealers and repair shops. I got a bad feeling someone decided to have some fun with your truck, blew out a shock or two, cleaned up the mess and passed the truck on to you without a word.
What shocks? The Rebels have Bilstein, correct? I'd be very surprised if there were any issues if that's the case.

salmonbum

Reaction score
I needed a qud cab rebel and closest one that had the options I required was 2 states away. The dealer I bought my 2017 from needed to sell one more truck to make the month end numbers and wanted to make that sale, so they went and got it. It was supposed to have under 400 miles on it when I took delivery, but it was at 612. I wasnt reel happy about it, but needed to get a truck to get it ready to head west.

I told salesman Friday nite he may want to get prepared to reverse the sale. He pretty much understands I am not one to mess with when it comes to vehicles.

Last edited:

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What shocks? The Rebels have Bilstein, correct? I'd be very surprised if there were any issues if that's the case.
No doubt... but if someone decided to go full baha mode in a Rebel like it was a Raptor? And I took my truck down a heavily corrugated dirt road, my truck was making that brand new car smell, where the brakes and everything heat up for the first real time. It was the rear shocks... no issues... just got hot and the paint was making the smell. I was babying my ride... imagine if I wasn't?

Seems like Salmonman has his situation well in hand. Just theorizing what would cause such an issue given the circumstance. Admittedly, I'm playing armchair CIS: Ram Rebel.

salmonbum

Reaction score
So as it stands they reached out to FCA in which they gave them some ideas but the truck checks out fine. Alignment was a hair out on toe, but nothing that should affect drivability. They want to send a field tech out Monday, which is way too late for me as I'm in a time crunch to get truck ready.

Salesman, tech and SA all agree its unsafe. If it was normal why would they be calling in a field tech? Sales mgr called and says he has driven rebels and that is normal characteristics due to tires and off road suspension. I call BS and told him that.

Plan is now is to try to find another Rebel to test drive tomorrow and compare. If anyone in Detroit area has one and wants to go for ride, let me know. Other than that I will try to find on dealer lot.

Users who are viewing this thread