5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New 2019 Limited

Reaction score
Thought I would jump in and say hello and give my impressions of my new Ram Limited with the 5.7 eTorque. First of all, a bit of background. I have always been a GM person. Last truck was a fully loaded 2017 GMC Denali with the 6.2 liter. Loved the engine. That was it. Horrible transmission (clunky) and then at 11,000 miles, it developed the "chevy shake". Google it if you have not heard about it. They did the following to try to fix it:
1. Seven new tires, road forced balanced each time
2. Three new rims
3. Transmission flush
4. Pulled transmission and replaced torque converter
5. New drive shaft
I have a great dealership and this is not on them at all. So, after a year, GM declared the truck within "acceptable parameters". The truck still shook at various speeds. I then pursued the lemon law until I could see the legal fees getting out of hand and that it was clear GM was not going to do anything else short of a full lawsuit, especially with the volume of complaints that are now out there. So, I had had enough and moved on.

On to the Ram: I am exceptionally pleased and impressed with the new truck . Drives wonderfully, has an interior second to none and the power is closer to the 6.2 than I thought it would be. No, it does not have the 6.2 hard hit from about 70MPH on, but is quick and smooth out of the hole. It is just so much smoother overall and just feels like a whole new level of quality as compared to the GM. When comparing the technology offered, I also think the Ram greatly exceeds the GM as well. It does not look like GM changed much on the interior of the 2019 as compared to my 2017, and the Ram feels like it is a whole generation ahead. So, I am one very happy new member of the Ram family!

Cluck

Reaction score
I'm in the exact same boat as you... currently have a 2016 Sierra with the 6.2. Had a few small issues the first few months... but has been great since. have 30K miles now. I'll tell you, once you get the 6.2 tuned it makes everything perfect .. trans shifting, etc.

Anyway, I was really close to ordering a new Limited (first non GM truck in 20 years) but I decided to wait. Seems there are some real issues with the RAM 12in screen, breaks, etc. But we all know Ford, GM and RAM all their issues.

Since I decided to hold off, I have been eyeing the 2019 Silverado more (new Sierra looks awful to me) The tech and interior in the 2019 GM's are nowhere close to the RAM... but it seems to work. I don't know what to do. Update your review in a few weeks.... I want to hear if you have any issues come up.

RAM_Jim

Reaction score
Glad you're enjoying the new truck. I'd agree the new Ram is and feels at least an entire generation or more ahead of the latest GM and Ford offerings. I'm not a hatter of GM or Ford but man there's just no comparison when it comes to the ride and interior quality and design. Ram just simply nailed it out of the park and the HEMI 5.7 in my mind suits almost everyone's average need...plus it sounds good out the back.

Reaction score
I will be happy to follow up after some miles. Heading out this weekend for about a 400 mile trip so I will let everyone know how it goes.

jschneider910

Reaction score
I'm another convert...

I had a 2015 Silverado High Country with the 6.2 that I put 28k miles on until it grenaded a rocker arm. 2 weeks in the shop and it didn't feel right when I got it back, almost like it had another 100k put on it- just overall tired. Between that and the horrific 8 speed (very clunky) I switched to Ford in 2017.

I genuinely loved the Ford (2017 Lariat w/ 502a, 3.5 ecoboost) but the interior, ride quality, and tech of the Ram swayed my decision. I honestly never thought I'd own an FCA product- I'm about 1800 miles in and I absolutely love this truck.

Welcome to the club.

Cajun

Reaction score
Same here... I traded a 17' Sierra All Terrain 5.3 after going back to the dealer 5 times in a year. The transmission bs was more than I could handle for a $55k truck. Two reprograms did nothing to stop hard shifts into and out of 2nd gear. The interior had more rattles than my Mazda B2200 from high school 20 years ago. When the shackles went out at 19,000 miles I had enough and bought my first FCA vehicle. This Ram is so much better in every aspect.

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nice review. As a long time Ram fan, I love to hear the converting stories. The 4th gen was still ahead of GM and Fords; and the new 5th gen took the bar to a whole new level.

habu987

Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All
Reaction score
Hey GM! 1999 Microsoft Windows called and wants its graphics back that you borrowed for your infotainment. Every time I see a GM infotainment screen, I expect to hear “you’ve got mail!” Terrible.

Anyway, Welome to RAM!
I'm pretty sure this is what happens whenever GM trucks install an OTA update.
1920155_1623723591008872_1431314457_n.jpg

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Wow...harsh! When we shopped for luxury SUVs a few years back, I remember thinking that the Cadillac CUE system was heads-and-tails better than anything from the other luxury brands. We bought an Audi for other reasons, but its infotainment system feels a bit antiquated.

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Welcome to Ram. I tried to buy GMC a couple of times but the truck's interior was always what turned me away. So I've been bouncing back and forth between Ford and Ram/Dodge for the last 13 or so model years.

I have 2 items I want to have my dealer address. My lower molding on the driver's door is up at the trailing end and there is a tire vibration at 55-60. They aren't big so I'm waiting to get back home and have my delivering dealer take care of them along with my first oil change.

habu987

Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All
Reaction score
Wow...harsh! When we shopped for luxury SUVs a few years back, I remember thinking that the Cadillac CUE system was heads-and-tails better than anything from the other luxury brands. We bought an Audi for other reasons, but its infotainment system feels a bit antiquated.
I mostly kid. Honestly, if I hadn't seen the DT Ram, I'd probably be looking at the Denali and the F-150 Platinum/Limited right now. I didn't think any of the interiors in the DS Ram, last gen GM twins, or the current gen F-150 were all that great. I thought the GM ones were at the back of that pack, but it wasn't the night and day difference like it is compared to the DT Ram interior, especially at the Longhorn/Limited levels.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Thought I would jump in and say hello and give my impressions of my new Ram Limited with the 5.7 eTorque. First of all, a bit of background. I have always been a GM person. Last truck was a fully loaded 2017 GMC Denali with the 6.2 liter. Loved the engine. That was it. Horrible transmission (clunky) and then at 11,000 miles, it developed the "chevy shake". Google it if you have not heard about it. They did the following to try to fix it:
2. Three new rims
3. Transmission flush
5. New drive shaft
I have a great dealership and this is not on them at all. So, after a year, GM declared the truck within "acceptable parameters". The truck still shook at various speeds. I then pursued the lemon law until I could see the legal fees getting out of hand and that it was clear GM was not going to do anything else short of a full lawsuit, especially with the volume of complaints that are now out there. So, I had had enough and moved on.

On to the Ram: I am exceptionally pleased and impressed with the new truck . Drives wonderfully, has an interior second to none and the power is closer to the 6.2 than I thought it would be. No, it does not have the 6.2 hard hit from about 70MPH on, but is quick and smooth out of the hole. It is just so much smoother overall and just feels like a whole new level of quality as compared to the GM. When comparing the technology offered, I also think the Ram greatly exceeds the GM as well. It does not look like GM changed much on the interior of the 2019 as compared to my 2017, and the Ram feels like it is a whole generation ahead. So, I am one very happy new member of the Ram family!

Welcome to the RAM club.
Agree with your points. This is the most luxurious and comfortable truck on the market today, bar none.

Reaction score
Welcome to the RAM club.
Agree with your points. This is the most luxurious and comfortable truck on the market today, bar none.
Thanks guys for the nice welcome! And one thing I did not mention is that via a family member, I get the GM family discount which I obviously have left on the table for this most recent purchase. That should indicate how ready I was to switch brands. Boy, based on the other comments and experiences, GM should be a bit concerned.

Mcaveman

Reaction score
MY father worked for GM so it’s was imbedded in me to buy GM but I could Not get over the horrible outdated interiors so im now on my 2nd RAM and not looking back.

Seadog1272

Reaction score
Thanks guys for the nice welcome! And one thing I did not mention is that via a family member, I get the GM family discount which I obviously have left on the table for this most recent purchase. That should indicate how ready I was to switch brands. Boy, based on the other comments and experiences, GM should be a bit concerned.
Welcome to the forum. Would you post the options and payload information for your Ram?

SoCal Truck

Reaction score
I'm in the exact same boat as you... currently have a 2016 Sierra with the 6.2. Had a few small issues the first few months... but has been great since. have 30K miles now. I'll tell you, once you get the 6.2 tuned it makes everything perfect .. trans shifting, etc.

Anyway, I was really close to ordering a new Limited (first non GM truck in 20 years) but I decided to wait. Seems there are some real issues with the RAM 12in screen, breaks, etc. But we all know Ford, GM and RAM all their issues.

Since I decided to hold off, I have been eyeing the 2019 Silverado more (new Sierra looks awful to me) The tech and interior in the 2019 GM's are nowhere close to the RAM... but it seems to work. I don't know what to do. Update your review in a few weeks.... I want to hear if you have any issues come up.
Forums magnify the issues. Don't let this change your mind.

drsmitty74

Reaction score
2. Three new rims
3. Transmission flush
5. New drive shaft

I too am a recent convert. I just traded in my 2016 GMC Sierra with 40K. In that 40K,I've had roof moldings blow off on the interstate, complete set of lifters and camshaft replaced, AC condenser cracked and replaced, tranny line blew off and dumped oil on interstate, the GM shimmy going down the road and last but not least, the HORRIBLE transmission shifting that is synonymous with GM these days.

I had had enough. Local Ram dealer had a Billet Silver Limited. Test drove it and loved it. I'm here to tell you, this truck beats anything out there for ride comfort and styling.

All makes have their own issues, but hopefully FCA will be much quicker than GM to resolution should something come up

Ramajama

Reaction score
I too am a recent convert. I just traded in my 2016 GMC Sierra with 40K. In that 40K,I've had roof moldings blow off on the interstate, complete set of lifters and camshaft replaced, AC condenser cracked and replaced, tranny line blew off and dumped oil on interstate, the GM shimmy going down the road and last but not least, the HORRIBLE transmission shifting that is synonymous with GM these days.

I had had enough. Local Ram dealer had a Billet Silver Limited. Test drove it and loved it. I'm here to tell you, this truck beats anything out there for ride comfort and styling.

All makes have their own issues, but hopefully FCA will be much quicker than GM to resolution should something come up

For anyone having a few issues with your infotainment, squeaky brakes or some clunk... see above and chill. LOL! :p

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread