5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nervous about buying a 2019 1500 Laramie

planemanx15

Reaction score
I was supposed to buy a CPO 2019 1500 Laramie (47,000mi) 5.7 with level 2 group and air suspension. Today the dealer called me and said that the truck had a code pop up on New York State (NYS) inspection and it needed to be driven to reset. Later he txt back to say "Lookin like it’s most likely going to be tomorrow [delivery]. Most of the time when there’s a monitor that needs to get reset it need to sit overnight. The mechanic told me it’s an update in the infotainment, and anytime there’s an update on that we have to reset monitors."

I test drove this truck 3 weeks ago and put a deposit on it. I had to wait to get my NY title for my Jeep which was being traded in, the dealer allowed me to hold the Ram. During the test drive everything worked as it should, and the truck started right up. The Carfax is clean and just shows New York State inspections, this dealership taking possession and doing services. The truck is off a 42 month lease.

Im supposed to go tomorrow afternoon to buy this truck. My wife has a 2017 Ram 1500 Express with the 5.7 and 55,000 miles with no issues at all. I've been reading a lot on the forums about dead batteries, bad RF modules, bad batteries from the factory, and Uconnect issues.
Am I being overly cautious? CPO comes with a 3 month 3,000 mi bumper to bumper warranty and 7 year 100,000 mi powertrain. I'm planing on taking this truck from NY to FL in 2 weeks and now I'm very nervous.

Bigbags85

Reaction score
I was nervous about buying a chrysler as well because my wife had a previous cherokee that had all kinds of electrical problems and needed a new engine before 100k (all under warranty thankfully). I have mainly owned nissan's and have never had to do anything except routine maintenance. So far I have just over 9k on my truck (6mos), it's needed a new trailer tpms wiring harness, a bump stop fell off, and it starts really rough on a regular basis. I am hoping this is not a omen for the future. Being that yours has 47K I'd definitely buy the extended warranty just to be safe but there are tons of these Rams on the road there can't be that many with serious issues or we'd probably have heard more about it.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Update to the infotainment doesn’t cause a code. Personally I’d walk away, but you doing that depends on your risk tolerance.

planemanx15

Reaction score
Spoke with the service department this morning. Was told there was no code and the salesman misspoke. It was an update to the ram's computer. He didn't mention which system, but said it's routine that before cars leave the lot they check the software for any updates. I'm going today at 4 to pick it up.

planemanx15

Reaction score
I love this truck!!

Day 1 I pulled off the black tubular side steps since I don’t like them and they don’t match all the chrome. Still getting used to the huge display. I also mounted my truck inflator under the rear seat and ran a 12 gauge wire directly to it from the battery. I’m in the process of installing my CB this weekend. Next week I have to get the bed lined.

One annoyance I’m having is my phone is only coming through the front left dash speaker. It’s not a problem around town, but on the highway and with a “low talker” it might be hard to hear. I cannot find a setting in the uconnect to change this.
E6DF03F4-CC20-4B9F-A177-1D65C711D7C1.jpeg

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
19 was the first year of the new model so there will probably be some things to look out for. Biggest thing being the air conditioner redesign if you live in a warm climate. Check the history and see if this was done on your truck. Other than that mines been awesome. Bought it used with 13k miles

TCB77

Reaction score
I love this truck!!

Day 1 I pulled off the black tubular side steps since I don’t like them and they don’t match all the chrome. Still getting used to the huge display. I also mounted my truck inflator under the rear seat and ran a 12 gauge wire directly to it from the battery. I’m in the process of installing my CB this weekend. Next week I have to get the bed lined.

One annoyance I’m having is my phone is only coming through the front left dash speaker. It’s not a problem around town, but on the highway and with a “low talker” it might be hard to hear. I cannot find a setting in the uconnect to change this.
View attachment 132482
I can’t help you on the phone thing but here’s a few things I learned in the 4 short weeks I’ve owned my 2019 and coming on the forum I realized I am not alone with these issues.
Ticking noise…. Is it the lifters already or are you mistaking the ticking noise for the all to common exhaust leak. Yep! That’s right! Sheared manifold studs or even better…. A cracked manifold! Some members on here have had it happen with less than 20k miles. As for my truck, I bought it with 42k miles from a dealer and I haven’t actually dug into it and seen a cracked manifold or a sheared stud but I don’t need to. On cold starts I can smell exhaust fumes strongly by the drivers door and if I put my head in the wheel well it literally smells like I’m a foot away from the rear exit of the exhaust. I don’t know if the dealer tried to do anything to try and cover it up besides warm the truck up before I got there because they knew I was coming. I live about an hour away so I called first to make sure they still had it and just didn’t have a lazy internet person that didn’t take down the truck if it was sold.

TCB77

Reaction score
I love this truck!!

View attachment 132482
I forgot to mention the best one, because from what I’ve seen on here there is no solution to this problem. And please correct me someone if I’m wrong.
The infamous humm/vibration. I feel it through the lower part of my driver side door panel. It could feel like that everywhere but I’m always driving so I don’t know. It comes and goes randomly, freeway speeds, city driving, on the gas (although it’s harder to feel), off the gas, and coasting. Since there isn’t a fix, guess I have to live with it. I’m actually mad at myself for not taking it for a longer test driver before I bought it because of course the short test drive I took it didn’t happen. It was a really hard to find truck here in Southern Ca it’s a crew cab with the 6.5” bed, 3.92’s, trailer brake, and the full length center console. If I wanted the 5 3/4 bed I had hundreds to pick from. So I kind of regret not checking it over better because of those two things but other than that it’s a very nice truck.

RJS

Reaction score
I love this truck!!

I don't believe there is a setting to change the speakers when the phone is in use as it should be using them all. You could try resetting the radio or pulling the negative battery terminal for an hour or so. This seems to cure a lot of these fiddly issues with the radio. It will take an hour or more for the truck to relearn all the setting as a downside. I had to do this on my 19 Laramie L2 on one occasion to cure a different issue which it did.

Because you bought it as a CPO, I would think that would let you take it back to the dealer to have an issue like this fixed as part of the original sales agreement.

BTW. my 19 remains the best vehicle I've ever owned.

Users who are viewing this thread