5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

@neooverland Photo/Video Thread

neelddo

Reaction score
Im starting this thread to provide pictures and (maybe) videos of my 2020 Built To Serve Ram 1500. Ill try to give a little background on the photos.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
You all have seen a stock Built to Serve truck, so ill start with the below photo. This was the first time I took the truck on some real off-road trails in the San Bernadino Mountain area in California. Specifically, the route we took was Cleghorn truck trail to pilot rock which landed us in Arrowhead, CA. The trail was fun, and I was quiet impressed with how the truck performed stock. The only issue was ground clearance, tire traction, and suspension travel. I banged up the running boards and wheels on a couple rocky sections. I was never really a fan on the running boards so damaging them didn't cause much pain. I know I will eventually remove them (they just get in the way of things on trials and reduce clearance - FYI this is my first experience with running boards - I've always been one to "Hop in" to my truck). The photo below is the rig completely stock, besides the Softopper bed Cap and a Bedrug liner.

Softopper: The reason I chose the Softopper was because I needed a cover that would allow me still load my dirt bike, and provide a place to sleep for a quick overnight exploration. I had previously run a MX4 Bakflip on my 4th Gen 1500, which I thoroughly enjoyed, but I did want a little sleep area with more headroom on this new build. The Softopper is affordable, and adaptable. I'm pleased with it so far. The truck bed does still accumulate a fair amount of dust when I'm out on the trails but that is something i'll have to live with. I am enjoying the bed rug liner, as I can easily take out the Dyson vacuum for a quick clean up like you would any carpeted surface. It provides a nice little pad, and a clean look.

1595396652428.png
1595396721627.png
1595396771388.png
1595396841231.png
1595396895432.png
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The photos below is my truck on a 2.5" leveling kit from Amazon, 35x12.5R18 Grabber ATX's, & the infamous Black Rhino Dugger. I love the wheel and tire combo. I had BFG K02's on my 4th Gen, but wanted a more aggressive tire this time around. The leveling kit is temporary as I plan to go with Carli's 2.5" King system when it is released. For now, the 2.5" lift with 35's will remedy the clearance issues I have on the trails. The ride quality on road is "like stock" - go figure. Nothing I've ever driven rides like the Carli system I had on my 4th gen Ram. I cant wait to see what they have to offer for the 5th Gen rams. We are a lucky group to be offered a system through Carli Suspension, since the Ram 1500 is the only half ton truck they build for. As some of you may know, their main focus is the Heavy Duty rigs. When Ram released the "Ecodiesel" they decided to build a system for the diesel half ton. They are now continuing the system on the new 5th Gen's - Thankfully. I will say that it is a pricey SYSTEM - but its a system, not just a lift/level. my 4th Gen was highly capable in slow crawl scenarios, fast whoops, and drove like a Cadillac on the freeway. If you do any type of off-roading, it is will worth the money (IMO).

1595397632093.png
1595397684637.png

Last edited:

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Looks great (y)

Throw a pic in our official Built to Serve thread! nvm see you already did! lol

Cliff0620

Reaction score
Nice!

Did you run into any problems with the 2.5 leveling kit? Thinking of getting 2.5 leveling kit as well but not to sure if I will have any issues since the built to serve edition come with the off road package and already come with an extra 1 inch lift.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pilottim

Reaction score
Subscribed for the results of the Carli install if/when you do it. I was going to install their system on a Mega Cab I ordered years ago but never purchased (long story). Their kits are amazing and I can't wait to see what they do on the new 1500's. I'm very interested!

neelddo

Reaction score
Nice!

Did you run into any problems with the 2.5 leveling kit? Thinking of getting 2.5 leveling kit as well but not to sure if I will have any issues since the built to serve edition come with the off road package and already come with an extra 1 inch lift.

No problems so far. The 2.5" spacer lift was not the easiest to install. I know the BTS comes with the "ORP" but it sure does look like some of the 4X4 offroad ORP packages sit much higher than the BTS. I was under the impression that we had heavier duty struts, but not necessarily longer coils - I didnt notice a taller stock stance compared to a stock big horn. Regardless, the 2.5" works fine. If i where to do it again, id probably go with a 2" just for an easier install.

Cliff0620

Reaction score
No problems so far. The 2.5" spacer lift was not the easiest to install. I know the BTS comes with the "ORP" but it sure does look like some of the 4X4 offroad ORP packages sit much higher than the BTS. I was under the impression that we had heavier duty struts, but not necessarily longer coils - I didnt notice a taller stock stance compared to a stock big horn. Regardless, the 2.5" works fine. If i where to do it again, id probably go with a 2" just for an easier install.

Thanks for the info. After doing more searching and emailing the leveling kit company they also said I would need to go with a 2” because 2.5” would not fit.

stevier2987

Reaction score
Beautiful setup! I heard there was some issues with the fitting 18 after market rims on our rams since ram make the factory 18 rims with with a bigger inner diameter than most after market companies.

stevier2987

Reaction score

SPYA

Reaction score
@neelddo After searcing site a bit, I see you've add the lift wheels tires.
Man, that is freakin SWEET. I want to do the same thing. What brand of level kit? Any rubbing with those big ol 35's? It looks like you do some real off roading, so curious if the tires rub bad and are you happy with ground clearance?
Was there an offset to fit the 12.5 width?
I LOVE that truck!!

Users who are viewing this thread