5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Negotiate electronically or in person.....which is best?

dwebb99

Reaction score
Considering the purchase of a new Ram 1500 Limited from a Ram dealer. I would like to consider doing it remotely/electronically if at all possible. Since Covid, has anyone negotiated an "out the door" (OTD) final price that they were happy with, AND doing it electronically (a internet sale)? No way in hell will I pay anywhere close to MSRP, and I have noticed many forums members negotiating some very respectable final sales fiqures (OTD) on their new Ram purchases. I want to keep the process as simple and streamlined as possible, with very little face to face interaction, a fair/respectable OTD price, and most important.....a minimum amount of BS. Tell me what you think, and let's hear your success stories.

hydrant328

Reaction score
Im in south fla. I had a price done on a truck in Georgia. It was "damaged" they said in transit and they didn't accept delivery. I found another on the west coast of the state. Negotiated everything by email. Rented car one-way, drove 2.5hrs and picked up truck.. With rebates, credits, etc...got it for 13500 under sticker.
Yes, it can be done.

ExtinctBird

Reaction score
I did the entire purchase of my Longhorn remotely back in May. You just need to find the truck you want and a dealer you trust to get everything right. I am in SW FL and ended up getting my truck from Big O Ram in SC. They appear to do many sales via eBay, and their online reviews were good. They gave me a price I was happy with over email and phone calls. They did a great job with paperwork, getting the shipping lined up, and delivering me a flawless truck.

You just need to do your homework on all the options and features and be realistic on what to expect.

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The RAM Dealer I ordered from is 20 minutes away, but the only time I went there was to sign the purchase order/pay the deposit, and to pick it up. Everything else, including discussion with the other dealers that I didn’t wind up using, was by email or phone.

To me, this is the best way to get a vehicle that’s not on the lot, or not local. If it’s on the lot, local, and you’ve decided, then as long as they know you’re willing to walk away, going there in person has worked best (for me, so far).

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
In the Philly area, I sent 10 emails to intermet sales,, and sales managers, when I was looking for a ram. I'm lucky enough that within a search of 50 miles, there was roughly 15 dodge/ram,jeep dealers

Only 2 even bother to try and give me the best out the door price over email or telephone. The Rest of them wanted me to come in. I refused to work with any of those dealers that won't even try. Straight up gave them bad reviews on yelp and Google maps.

3 of the Owners and managers did try to call me back and apologized, but still wanted me to come in and work something out. I declined, because that wasn't my intention that I spelled out in my email.

Got most of my info from "your car advocate", and it was a very useful site.

Dealers are smart now and they can tell if someone is really try to negotiate, or flat out low balling them.

If you aim for something between 10-20% off MSRP (out the door price would be even better), I think you are good.

Owner of a 2020 Ram Laramie (leveled with 2" rc struts and 1" rear spacer on 33.5" toyo open country) , 16 Dodge Charger scat pack and my wife 21 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (2.5" rc lift with 35" duratracs)

rbundy84

Reaction score
I think it really depends on the dealership, and I think dealers in an urban/suburban area are more apt to handle things electronically whereas the rural dealers are still “old school” and prefer face to face

For example, there’s a large volume dealer about an hour from me in Southern Illinois but they refuse to do business electronically and want you to come in...

PhillyPhan

Reaction score
I’ve purchased my last 6 vehicles online and online only. I don’t set foot on a dealership lot until I have a deal in place. I’ve also helped friends and family negotiate deals for their car purchases online as well. I reach out to multiple dealerships and give them my email only. Never give your phone number until you have a deal in place or you’ll be called daily for months. Good luck!

Cudapower

Reaction score
A piece of advise, be careful and be very diligent on getting your deal on printable paper form. Dealers are up to speed on the internet, and you may think you have the deal on a chat line or the phone but you need provable paper work. Here is a nightmare story from Nissan dealer brand NOT Ram. Had a wreck and got a replacement insurance check so I could pay cash for a new SUV. It was after the end of the year and inventories were very low on what the wife wanted. I am in Iowa and I found the ideal SUV in Kentucky at Wiler. I made a good deal over the phone and email. They take care of everything for paperwork, tax ,license, fees etc. Kentucky has an outraguous doc fee $600 that I didn't plan on because my state has a really low one. When I go there they had all the lic, fees and tax figured and they send them in. I told them they had a mistake on the tax percentage and the tax was 500 dollars too much. They said ok the paperwork was made up in their central office and it would take several days to change (I'm from out of state). When they send in the tax, they will just send me a check for the difference. When I got home registered the car, no check ever came. They promised several times over the phone that it was in process. Then the salesman and then the dealership simply stopped answering calls and emails and I was out 500 bucks and 600 miles away. So if you are dealing out of state be careful and research fees taxes and charges you don't know about, and also some remote "central office" handling your paperwork. Don't be like this guy.

BNeal

Reaction score
I never do a car deal sitting at a salespersons desk. Only phone and email. finish with a line-item OTD price in writing.

I ordered my current Ram this way. Once vehicle is in, I walk in, sign papers and drive away.

bucolic

Reaction score
Online is the only way to go. As others have stated get a firm quote from them and most dealers now email a nice quote spelling everything out. Bought my last 4 vehicles doing all the negotiating over email and some phone calls. Just let them know that if you get there and anything has changed the deal is off and be ready to leave. Have the bank check for payments or deposits made out to the dealer or yourself! The internet has really changed things. I just traded my truck and found one I wanted in Vermont which was a 5-hour drive from me. Told them I love to drive so if anything changed I had no problems just driving back in my old truck! It beats hanging out at the dealer all day.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
A piece of advise, be careful and be very diligent on getting your deal on printable paper form. Dealers are up to speed on the internet, and you may think you have the deal on a chat line or the phone but you need provable paper work. Here is a nightmare story from Nissan dealer brand NOT Ram. Had a wreck and got a replacement insurance check so I could pay cash for a new SUV. It was after the end of the year and inventories were very low on what the wife wanted. I am in Iowa and I found the ideal SUV in Kentucky at Wiler. I made a good deal over the phone and email. They take care of everything for paperwork, tax ,license, fees etc. Kentucky has an outraguous doc fee $600 that I didn't plan on because my state has a really low one. When I go there they had all the lic, fees and tax figured and they send them in. I told them they had a mistake on the tax percentage and the tax was 500 dollars too much. They said ok the paperwork was made up in their central office and it would take several days to change (I'm from out of state). When they send in the tax, they will just send me a check for the difference. When I got home registered the car, no check ever came. They promised several times over the phone that it was in process. Then the salesman and then the dealership simply stopped answering calls and emails and I was out 500 bucks and 600 miles away. So if you are dealing out of state be careful and research fees taxes and charges you don't know about, and also some remote "central office" handling your paperwork. Don't be like this guy.
Similar experience:
1st time Friendly Honda NY no problem receiving over payment check.
2nd time Salerno Ram NJ to solve overpayment worked out my first synthetic oil change.
Moral of the story: Your 1st positive experience does not mean the second one will be similar.
Neither 1st or 2nd was for a substantial amount but it was still my money.

Snofire

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The last 4 vehicles I have purchased have all been done by email. I tell them straight out that the only reason I'm coming into the dealership is to sign paperwork and driving home. I need everything in stone before I'm done. I send out emails to about 20 dealerships in a 250 mile radius and I let dealerships know this. Some with play the game and others will never respond.

Bird man

Reaction score
Have your number out the door, find your truck on a few lots, and call each of them. Got my truck for about 13K off msrp out the door, which is probably more like 16k under msrp plus tax. I’m just outside dc which means lots of dealers but not many want to bargain. You might be able to find a 2020 for more off than that depending on local and if you negotiate. Invoice is about 91% of msrp and then subtract all of the available incentives then take another 1k off that and start there. You’ll be able to get that deal if you’re willing to call around.

AxileAspen

Reaction score
I think that if you get the right dealer, doing everything online or via phone should absolutely be feasible. I hate negotiating in person, or even via phone so I was thrilled to find a dealer that offered an extremely good price online and was very responsive with emails. Additionally, there was absolutely no shenanigans, hidden costs, etc...and they even helped me arrange shipping since they were a few states away. If you're willing to pay for shipping, or drive to pick up a vehicle, you can really expand the range of where you search for dealers, which should open up a lot of better opportunities.

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you had a good experience with a dealer, name them...
We want to reward good ones, and share the opportunity.
Mine was Jacob at Ourisman CDJR in Clarksville, Maryland.

Maybe we should start a sticky...

Bird man

Reaction score
If you had a good experience with a dealer, name them...
We want to reward good ones, and share the opportunity.
Mine was Jacob at Ourisman CDJR in Clarksville, Maryland.

Maybe we should start a sticky...
Horrible experience with Dulles Ram in Leesburg, but I did end up getting a very solid deal.

badpewterz

Reaction score
90% online. if you have no trade and have already driven/decided on exactly what you want then you can do even more remotely. honestly it works for everyone involved and less wasted time. some dealers dont like doing it this way but they will have to in the future and the current times most dealers prefer as much online as possible too

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I guess I'm an anomaly here, or I'm spoiled by living in a small town. I prefer to go in and deal face to face with people when I'm shopping for a vehicle. I get a rush from the experience of walking the lot and speaking with the sales rep, the tactile feel of sitting in and driving different vehicles, and then agreeing on a deal in person. It probably helps that they know me at the local CDJR dealership, and know I won't put up with any games. I might have a different opinion if I was to go to a larger dealership. My wife and I negotiated her Limited via e-mail and phone calls, and I hated the experience.

Reactions: cj7

hoodac78

Reaction score
Considering the purchase of a new Ram 1500 Limited from a Ram dealer. I would like to consider doing it remotely/electronically if at all possible. Since Covid, has anyone negotiated an "out the door" (OTD) final price that they were happy with, AND doing it electronically (a internet sale)? No way in hell will I pay anywhere close to MSRP, and I have noticed many forums members negotiating some very respectable final sales fiqures (OTD) on their new Ram purchases. I want to keep the process as simple and streamlined as possible, with very little face to face interaction, a fair/respectable OTD price, and most important.....a minimum amount of BS. Tell me what you think, and let's hear your success stories.
I've bought my last 3 trucks online, and all of them I felt I had a good experience. The dealerships even ended up delivering them to my home for me. It's nice to be able to do all the work from the comfort of your desk or couch, and not have to deal with the BS at the dealership of waiting at someone's desk while they "go to the back and talk to the manager"......it is bar far a more effective use of your time in my opinion. It's also easier to "walk out" so to speak if you aren't happy with a proposition or want to take your business elsewhere. The dealer rep showed up at my house, we do a walk around of the vehicle, we sign papers, I give him a cheque and it's done. Easy peasy. Just my 2 cents.

rbundy84

Reaction score
I agree with those saying negotiating electronically is the wave of the future

Users who are viewing this thread