5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Needing feedback

lilbxl

Reaction score
I traded my '14 Cummins for a brand new 2500 with the 6.4 in November. I love the truck, great power, runs smooth, etc. What I do not like is getting 12.7-13 mpg. I pull a Flagstaff Super Lite 29BHWS camper on occasion, not often at all. I have only pulled it once with gasser and it pulled it great but the mpg for the short trip was ~8mpg. The trailer is 7700lbs and 36ft from the tongue to rear bumper. Is this something the 1500 Ecodiesel would be able to handle? I'm guessing the 3.92 rear would be better for this, although I only probably tow the camper a hand full of times a year? I'm in South Louisiana so it's not like I'm pulling in the mountains. LOL. I welcome any feedback. Thanks in advance.

AMS Guru

AMS Guru, Ram Guru-ish
Reaction score
I traded my '14 Cummins for a brand new 2500 with the 6.4 in November. I love the truck, great power, runs smooth, etc. What I do not like is getting 12.7-13 mpg. I pull a Flagstaff Super Lite 29BHWS camper on occasion, not often at all. I have only pulled it once with gasser and it pulled it great but the mpg for the short trip was ~8mpg. The trailer is 7700lbs and 36ft from the tongue to rear bumper. Is this something the 1500 Ecodiesel would be able to handle? I'm guessing the 3.92 rear would be better for this, although I only probably tow the camper a hand full of times a year? I'm in South Louisiana so it's not like I'm pulling in the mountains. LOL. I welcome any feedback. Thanks in advance.
ED w/3.92 will do fine for this application.... With just the trailer alone you are basically maxed out with a 3.21 rear end

Last edited:

Dragonmaster13

Reaction score
An ED that is not optioned out (payload over 1400lbs is a minimum) would do this just fine. I tow a 7600lb 33’ trailer a lot and it handles like a champ. Way better than my former Hemi.

85542cd2c1a99e4b575479cc6b1dc48c.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread