5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need to Upgrade Shocks ( to Performance)...Please Advise!

Derek Dredger

Reaction score
So I installed the Bilstein 6112's and 5160s (and Total Chaos UCAs) on my 19 Rebel but am experiencing some serious bottoming out.

I ride quite aggressively and almost exclusively in the desert. Ironically, the best ground conditions our group always looks for is virgin sand were no one has made tracks. This can often be as smooth as tarmac to drive on.

However, I do alot of side-sloping on the dunes so my truck regularly gets up to speeds between 40-60mph...then you hit a bump or the dune tightens and there's a kind of ridge/abrupt angle change. The worst is when you go over large vehicle tracks/ridges at speed in the sand...bang, bang, bang, bang! The shocks just bottom out front and rear 5+ times per second.

The Bilsteins have performed really really well but I can feel, and hear!, that they just cant handle this type of abuse.

My No.1 choice is the FOX 2.5 Factory Series with DSC (longer version up to 3" lift).

Perhaps KINGS...yeh they're good but 9/10months wait?

Bilstein 8112; internal hydraulic bump stops for compression and rebound..yes please but not adjustable

Old Man Emu BP51s...good reviews but the adjustment mechanism is via a wrench which you have to fit between the springs to access the adjusters mounted to the shock body

Has anybody tried any of these..any feedback. Appreciate it may not be the exact same conditions but can obviously be comparable to track, whoops and g-outs at high speed.

Check out my videos on my instagram page 'ramrebelchiefs' to get an idea of the terrain...no need to follow..this isn't a marketing tactic but I can't seem to post videos on the forum.

Stay safe, full send

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Pyleketerson

Reaction score
FOX 2.5 all the way! I’m a little different in the mountains but I can blow through rough dirt roads at high speeds no problem. Hard corners, high points, water bars, zero bottom and very smooth. Almost dangerously smooth 😎

sheepdogtrail

Reaction score
FOX 2.5 all the way! I’m a little different in the mountains but I can blow through rough dirt roads at high speeds no problem. Hard corners, high points, water bars, zero bottom and very smooth. Almost dangerously smooth 😎
Do you do any towing at all? I need to do something for towing. Got new wheels and tires which help a great deal but I get a 1/2" sag when I hook up a light 3000 lb bumper pull trailer. I am wondering if putting better shocks and struts is really going to help me stay level or just improve rough road experiences.

The fox coil overs for the front is something I am thinking. The rear I am not sure.

Derek Dredger

Reaction score
FOX 2.5 all the way! I’m a little different in the mountains but I can blow through rough dirt roads at high speeds no problem. Hard corners, high points, water bars, zero bottom and very smooth. Almost dangerously smooth
Cool! What do you use for the rear?

Just checked FOX website (again) for the 19 RAM and it states I can get the 2.5's witj DSC for the rear for $1,349 or the 2.0's for $139.

Hmm...thats a $1210 saving off the bat or perhaps an extra loss of $278.

Obviously the rear 2.5s will be the ultimate setup but for my terrain/driving perhaps the 2.0s will suffice....

Pyleketerson

Reaction score
Cool! What do you use for the rear?

Just checked FOX website (again) for the 19 RAM and it states I can get the 2.5's witj DSC for the rear for $1,349 or the 2.0's for $139.

Hmm...thats a $1210 saving off the bat or perhaps an extra loss of $278.

Obviously the rear 2.5s will be the ultimate setup but for my terrain/driving perhaps the 2.0s will suffice....

I’m running the 2.0’s in the rear and honestly with how good they ride I’m not convinced I would upgrade to the 2.5’s for the cost.

Pyleketerson

Reaction score
Do you do any towing at all? I need to do something for towing. Got new wheels and tires which help a great deal but I get a 1/2" sag when I hook up a light 3000 lb bumper pull trailer. I am wondering if putting better shocks and struts is really going to help me stay level or just improve rough road experiences.

The fox coil overs for the front is something I am thinking. The rear I am not sure.
I don’t do any towing but you’ll still get the sag. I’ve looked in to travel trailers and will include airbags if I ever pull the trigger.

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I ran Fox 2.0 coil overs in my 2014 before I traded it. A bit rough with E rated tires for my liking around town, but it may have just been my particular choice of tires. Better than the Bilsteins though, which I thought were hardly any upgrade at all over OEM.

For bags in the back, check out Timber Grove. Great products, better (and better customer service) than Airlift.

sheepdogtrail

Reaction score
I think I will give the Timber Grove ASAM's a try with getting just the bags installed and using a manual pump or 12 v compressor to fill and let air out. The CRM bags seem nice and I would prefer to use them. But I am not ready to remove my coils yet for the added functionality.

Users who are viewing this thread