5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need some help with rear Icon shocks

aro

Reaction score
I bought those rear Icon shocks specifically for 5th gen 1500

Security Check

If you look at the attached photos, you'll see it has flattened sections on both sides (talking about the small diameter, with the red arrow, not the big flat sections below). They seem to be useless, since the truck upper housing for the shock is just a round hole. Should I just ignore the flat sections?

One the 2nd photo you'll see that each side of the rubber bushing has a different profile. Does anyone know the orientation, up and down?

1.jpg
2.jpg

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The area you’re pointing to looks like a spot where somebody could put a thin wrench on it, so nothing would spin when you’re tightening it. I would put the metal washer down first, have each bushing’s narrow shouldered part facing towards the hole on the frame ear. It should match how the old shock comes out. The washer should be installed so that the angle of it fits with the angle of the bushing.

aro

Reaction score
You are right, the angle of the bushing fits the washer. I should have seen that...

I was confused by the fact that the other side of the bushing, the narrow shoulder, doesn't really fit anything. The frame ear hole diameter is larger than that shoulder. I guess they want to connect the two bushings through the hole, shoulder to shoulder.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You are right, the angle of the bushing fits the washer. I should have seen that...

I was confused by the fact that the other side of the bushing, the narrow shoulder, doesn't really fit anything. The frame ear hole diameter is larger than that shoulder. I guess they want to connect the two bushings through the hole, shoulder to shoulder.
If the shoulder on that bushing is narrower than the stock bushings, there’s a chance they could be that way to fit multiple applications. Off the top of my head, you have a couple options: 1) call icon and make sure they’re correct. If they are, tighten them enough that the shaft doesn’t spin easily and you can’t shift the shaft when tugging back and forth. You’re tightening them just enough that they won’t shift from the forces the truck exerts on them. 2) Use the stock bushings if they fit on the shaft.

Reactions: aro

aro

Reaction score
I went to the Icon site and was looking for contact info, and found the installation document: https://images.iconfigurators.app/pdf/I216533_REVB_5430.pdf

The image below matches the bushings and washers, and you can see the raised profile where my red arrow is, with the much higher raised profile below it. I guess this settles it. I should have done my homework... The shape of the bushings and the raised profile of the shock confused me, since the OEM shock and bushings are flat (yesterday I did take off one shock and put it back on because of the confusion).

Surprisingly, the biggest pain in the neck of the entire process is putting back the wheel well liners (after removing them to get access to the upper bolt).. Since I have to retorque after 100 miles, I'll run without them. My OCD doesn't like to leave the job unfinished, but I would rather deal with my OCD than the liners. Those things are nasty and like to move around all over the place, making it hard to screw the little screws into them.

3.JPG

Last edited:

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yep, the wheel lliners can be a pain. I’ve found the Mopar wheel liner isn’t too bad and I just peeled it back to expose the upper shock mount on 4 trucks I’ve done (with mopar liners). My current truck has Rough Country liners and there's no peeling those back. They were kind of a pita when I installed the fox 2.0’s.

aro

Reaction score
Interesting... I was just looking at the Rough Country liners, but I guess they are out of question. I bought the truck used so I don't know exactly what I have.

Users who are viewing this thread