5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need some help with causes of codes

CMG417

Reaction score
We have a 2019 Laramie 5.7 V8 and it's throwing some codes. We're getting a P0306 misfire and two lean codes, P0174 and P2098. We replaced plugs and coil packs, checked the air box and filter- all clean with no obstructions. Also ran injector cleaner through. We could really use some help with what else it could be/ what we can try next. My next thought was to check out the MAF but from what I hear RAM doesn't utilize those? Any help is really greatly appreciated. Thanks!

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Generally speaking, bad plugs/coils or clogged air filter would cause a richer condition, rather than lean. Other than codes, are you experiencing any driveability issues?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
We have a 2019 Laramie 5.7 V8 and it's throwing some codes. We're getting a P0306 misfire and two lean codes, P0174 and P2098. We replaced plugs and coil packs, checked the air box and filter- all clean with no obstructions. Also ran injector cleaner through. We could really use some help with what else it could be/ what we can try next. My next thought was to check out the MAF but from what I hear RAM doesn't utilize those? Any help is really greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Could try swapping fuel injectors around and see if the fail follows. 306 is cylinder 6 misfire. Move #6 injector to #1 spot

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
All your codes indicate the problem is with bank 2 cylinders which is the passenger side cylinders. The #6 cylinder should be 3rd cylinder from the front on the passenger side.

Make sure you use your code reader to reset all codes after making a change. Some codes extinguish the light as soon as the fault goes away, but some codes keep the light on for a certain number of engine starts without a fault.

CMG417

Reaction score
Generally speaking, bad plugs/coils or clogged air filter would cause a richer condition, rather than lean. Other than codes, are you experiencing any driveability issues?
Slightly. A little bit of a hiccup not unlike a misfire feels like. Strange thing is the cel will sometimes pop off but then comes back shortly after. That and the P0306 was what prompted the coil and plug replacement, but the misfire came back in the same cylinder which led me to believe it's not the plugs/coils. The others here have a point that it may be a failed/failing injector.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Slightly. A little bit of a hiccup not unlike a misfire feels like. Strange thing is the cel will sometimes pop off but then comes back shortly after. That and the P0306 was what prompted the coil and plug replacement, but the misfire came back in the same cylinder which led me to believe it's not the plugs/coils. The others here have a point that it may be a failed/failing injector.
Started getting a cold start P0308 two days ago. Will try Lucas injector cleaner before going after hardware.

Users who are viewing this thread