5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need quick input on deal level of Longhorns only here. About to cancel my built truck

arizonapaul

Reaction score
OK, so the long and short of this is that I had to re-order my longhorn because they would not do 2 -tone. First truck ordered on 9/18, and never built, and then re-ordered a second configuration on 12/11.
Now the truck is about to ship from the plant and the dealer is finally giving me my price. Its the same discounts as back in September, 9000 off from dealer plus 2500 in rebates for a total saving of 11,500.
Now this may or may not sound like a good deal, however the dealer kept saying, "don't worry about the price, we will give you the family discount for all the trouble" I know I should of had a price when i built it, but I have bought 4 vehicles from my dealer and I thought they would do me right. The second built came in msrp at 67,550, over 3000 more thank the first build. ( I changed things ).
So I don't see any crazy special pricing for being put through the ringer, and I guess I need to know from all the Longhorn folks, what kind of deals you all got, cause I told them last night, KEEP THE F__ING TRUCK AND I AM COMING IN TONIGHT TO PICK UP MY DEPOSIT, and now, not so sure I want to do that. I just don't want to get hosed. In closing, I was hoping for about 14000 to 15000 off.

Bhbdvm

Reaction score
I paid 56,000 for my longhorn. Honestly, I don't think your expectations are realistic. When I price my vehicles, me and the sales manager look at MSRP versus dealer pricing. He gives me dealer pricing (they can print this sheet for your and it has the prices side by side), then he takes off all of the hold back ( I have purchased 3 vehicles from the dealership), gives me all the applicable rebates from Chrysler, and gives me another discount for (friends and family $1,000 certificate) on top of all the rebates from Chrysler, and then I got a $1,000 discount/check from USAA for being a member that is sent directly to the dealer. I want them to make a profit but it doesn't all have to come from me. I like my dealer and want to keep the relationship. I feel I got a fair price. If they get something i'm unaware of then so be it but I think I was treated fairly.

Last edited:

geotex1

Reaction score
Neither supplier pricing nor employee would get you that much off. Such would be giving all their hold back too. These trucks are selling like hot cakes, so not to be flippant, but there's no risk to them if you walk away.

arizonapaul

Reaction score
I paid 56,000 for my longhorn. Honestly, I don't think your expectations are realistic. When I price my vehicles, me and the sales manager look at MSRP versus dealer pricing. He gives me dealer pricing (they can print this sheet for your and it has the prices side by side), then he takes off all of the hold back ( I have purchased 3 vehicles from the dealership), gives me all the applicable rebates from Chrysler, and gives me another discount for (friends and family $1,000 certificate) on top of all the rebates from Chrysler, and then I got a $1,000 discount/check from USAA for being a member that is sent directly to the dealer. I want them to make a profit but it doesn't all have to come from me. I like my dealer and want to keep the relationship. I feel I got a fair price. If they get something i'm unaware of then so be it but I think I was treated fairly.
Does this help.
b4ff0579d2ef82e81a7e447288dca9dc.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Deriggs007

Reaction score
$9000 from dealer isn't that bad. I see around $10k for a limited trim. So that part sounds about right. I know they can't discount much more than vehicles already on the lot as there is no big incentive for them with you building it out vs's it being purchased off that lot.

You should find out what you qualify in rebates, that's the big part. I don't think $11500 is unreasonable.
I qualify for about $5K in rebates for my trim (Laramie), which would put you at your $15k price.

Personally, I qualify for the following:

USAA - $1000
Conquest Lease - $500
Subprime - $750
Retail Consumer - $1250
Total: $3500

So I don't think you're getting screwed, but I agree that your expectations are a little high with your dealer thinking they'll come with 12+% below invoice

JLUR_

Reaction score
$11,500 off that truck is on the better end of the deals that most are reporting in the "what did you pay" thread. That's slightly more than 17% off MSRP and pretty solid IMO. Others are reporting 10-15% below MSRP even going out of state to get it.

JLUR_

Reaction score
$9000 from dealer isn't that bad. I see around $10k for a limited trim. So that part sounds about right. I know they can't discount much more than vehicles already on the lot as there is no big incentive for them with you building it out vs's it being purchased off that lot.

You should find out what you qualify in rebates, that's the big part. I don't think $11500 is unreasonable.
I qualify for about $5K in rebates for my trim (Laramie), which would put you at your $15k price.

Personally, I qualify for the following:

USAA - $1000
Conquest Lease - $500
Subprime - $750
Retail Consumer - $1250
Total: $3500

So I don't think you're getting screwed, but I agree that your expectations are a little high with your dealer thinking they'll come with 12+% below invoice

Just a heads up. The USAA incentive doesn't stack with the sub-prime incentive.

arizonapaul

Reaction score
So looking at my numbers, I am getting 8.75% off of the invoice ( 61794/67895 ) and 17% off of list, 56395/ 67895.
And I know these trucks are selling well, but the Longhorn is not the mainstream vehicle either. I Don't think the dealer wants to sit on a 68000 longhorn on their lot. I was also thinking I should be getting a stronger deal than the same exact deal I got 5 months ago, back in September.
I really want this truck, just thought it would be stronger, but I will go by what this group says.
So glad we have this forum to bounce questions off

Deriggs007

Reaction score
Just a heads up. The USAA incentive doesn't stack with the sub-prime incentive.

It does. I heard some dealers say it doesn't, some that say it does. So I contacted RAM directly and it does. I cannot stack it with Military though. If it didn't, I would still be ahead by using 750 + 500 military. But it does stack.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My wife and I paid just under $61K before taxes/fees ($65K out the door) to order a loaded Longhorn last May; the truck arrived in September with a sticker price of more than $70K, and the dealer honored the original POC. So we were 13% below final MSRP and 5-6% below invoice before taxes/fees.

Many members have scored better deals. But we felt comfortable with where we ended up, especially since no haggling was involved. We took advantage of supplier pricing and available incentives, had a couple of small 'freebies' thrown in, and established some goodwill with our local dealer in the process.

arizonapaul

Reaction score
My wife and I paid just under $61K before taxes/fees ($65K out the door) to order a loaded Longhorn last May; the truck arrived in September with a sticker price of more than $70K, and the dealer honored the original POC. So we were 13% below final MSRP and 5-6% below invoice before taxes/fees.

Many members have scored better deals. But we felt comfortable with where we ended up, especially since no haggling was involved. We took advantage of supplier pricing and available incentives, had a couple of small 'freebies' thrown in, and established some goodwill with our local dealer in the process.
Thank u, u did ok considering the time frame of your purchase.
All good info, thanks

Truckin

Reaction score
OK, so the long and short of this is that I had to re-order my longhorn because they would not do 2 -tone. First truck ordered on 9/18, and never built, and then re-ordered a second configuration on 12/11.
Now the truck is about to ship from the plant and the dealer is finally giving me my price. Its the same discounts as back in September, 9000 off from dealer plus 2500 in rebates for a total saving of 11,500.
Now this may or may not sound like a good deal, however the dealer kept saying, "don't worry about the price, we will give you the family discount for all the trouble" I know I should of had a price when i built it, but I have bought 4 vehicles from my dealer and I thought they would do me right. The second built came in msrp at 67,550, over 3000 more thank the first build. ( I changed things ).
So I don't see any crazy special pricing for being put through the ringer, and I guess I need to know from all the Longhorn folks, what kind of deals you all got, cause I told them last night, KEEP THE F__ING TRUCK AND I AM COMING IN TONIGHT TO PICK UP MY DEPOSIT, and now, not so sure I want to do that. I just don't want to get hosed. In closing, I was hoping for about 14000 to 15000 off.

Sounds like they are giving you a very fair price...If you are looking for a 'total killing' then you will have to search for older stock sitting on someones lot that they want gone-which may or may not have everything you want and may have things you do not want...

gliderpilot

Reaction score
I just bought a new Laramie off the lot and got 11k off, for a specially ordered
truck sounds like you are getting a great deal, no need to be upset.

Lil Miss Always Wrong

Reaction score
Sounds like they are giving you a very fair price...If you are looking for a 'total killing' then you will have to search for older stock sitting on someones lot that they want gone-which may or may not have everything you want and may have things you do not want...

Absolutely agree, IF you are getting every single thing you want and NOTHING you don't it is a very fair price.

IF you were to "accept" a vehicle that was already in a dealers stock and compromised at the time of sale, thinking, "well, THIS one is a MUCH better deal AND its available NOW" (if ur anything like me : ) will NOT comfort you a few months down the road when your stuck WITH or WITHOUT options you wanted, the few months wait and the price will pale miserably to just being patient, getting a FAIR price for it and getting EXACTLY color/options you want. Trust me, been THERE, regretted THAT : )

And don't worry about possibly having burned any bridges, nothing smooths things over quicker/better with a salesperson than receiving a text from you that you're STILL interested.

Its the car business, they are a very forgiving bunch!

arizonapaul

Reaction score
Wow, this pretty much says it all. Might be time to eat crow.. very well said, and yes, that truck is exactly everything I want.. been looking online today and all choices are full of compromise

Last edited:

Lil Miss Always Wrong

Reaction score
Wow, this pretty much says it all. Might be time to eat crow.. very well said, and yes, that truck is exactly everything I want.. been looking online today and all choices are full of compromise

Good for you! And one other thing for you rationalize is that the difference you were hoping for vs what you were offered is around 3000 dollars which at the end of the day amounts to roughly 50 bucks a month if your financing at a decent rate. I know when i got stuck in a vehicle i "accepted" rather than wait for them to "dealer trade for the one i wanted", i would have GLADLY paid the 50 bucks monthly to have my "dream truck" sitting in my driveway vs my "good enough" truck : )

Bhbdvm

Reaction score
Keep us updated.

arizonapaul

Reaction score
Thank you for everyone's input. Dealer got me another 750 off for a total of 12,250..and if Feb rebates are more, I'll get that as well.

On a side note, I gave the dealer my trade back in Sept, a 2016 ram sport, and they sold it, so if I really wanted to play hardball, I could of because I think its illegal to sell a trade in before the deal is done..
Hope to have it within 3 weeks
504be53a7df1da54be7109bee5dafc0b.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread