5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need opinions 275/65/20

Choate

Reaction score
Guys I’m dead set on this size but I’m struggling with what to choose. I very rarely go off road and don’t tow but I definitely want an AT tire. The only one in this size non E rated is the nitto terra grappler g2. I had this tire that came on my previous truck and they were worn down probably 3/4 of the way and totally sucked in the rain when trying to take off. You had to barely and I mean barely give it gas. Otherwise seemed ok. I’m considering the toyo AT3 as well but they’re quite a bit more $ and E rated but not all that much heavier. I absolutely love my Wildpeaks but in this size they’re extremely heavy. 67lbs I think. Read the BFG are bad in rain too so I guess what I’m wondering is would you go w the nitto g2 SL tires and air up and are they ok in rain when new or buckle up and pay for the toyo and are they good in rain? I live in DFW TX so snow is not a consideration in tire selection. Thanks for any advice. The reason for changing tires is I’m about to add the RC 3.5” lift and my 33s will probably look too small. I know an inch isn’t much but I don’t want to go up to 35” since I have the 3.21 gears.

Last edited:

Choate

Reaction score
For anyone wondering I’ve pretty much decided to go with the toyo AT3. 54lbs LT vs 48lbs on the nitto SL plus lots of good reviews. Also there has to be a reason the g2 grappler is the only tire in SL in that size. I think I’ll be happy. My wallet will be a little lighter but that’s ok. Haven’t seen any bad reviews from the Toyo AT3 either

Reaction score

Attachments

• PXL_20220130_220548430.jpg
    PXL_20220130_220548430.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 105

clk1984

Reaction score
I had the BFGs previously and thought they were great although they get noisy as they wear IMO. I just replaced them about 6 months ago with Cooper Rugged Treks and love the look and performance they have provided so far. They are great in the snow and seem to be fairly quiet on the highway. May be worth a look if you aren't 100% set on other choices. I know my truck is a 4th gen, but tires are same size you are looking at.

Attachments

• IMG_20211021_134018499.jpg
    IMG_20211021_134018499.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 119

Choate

Reaction score
Are you looking for an LT/E range tire? The Pirelli Scorpion All Terrain Plus comes in a 275/65/20 SL load and is 48 pounds. I just bought these for my 22 Laramie in 275/60/20 and like them so far. Excellent in the heavy rain we're getting in the PNW.

Interesting. Discount tire doesn’t carry that. I’m not really wanting or needing LT rated but this is the only other AT tire I’ve seen than the nitto in this size and SL but maybe I’m looking on the wrong websites. I just went through discount tire last time and they treated me so well I was going to go back to them but I may not if they don’t have something I think I want. Thanks for the recommendation

Reaction score
Interesting. Discount tire doesn’t carry that. I’m not really wanting or needing LT rated but this is the only other AT tire I’ve seen than the nitto in this size and SL but maybe I’m looking on the wrong websites. I just went through discount tire last time and they treated me so well I was going to go back to them but I may not if they don’t have something I think I want. Thanks for the recommendation

This might be why. On Pirelli's site it showed "RIV/Elect" next to the tire size of 275/65/20. I'm sure they'll still work on our trucks.

Choate

Reaction score
Pulled the trigger on the Toyos. Get this. From Saturday then last night they went up on discount tire and everywhere else I looked from $401 to $431. The reason I know is I was comparing prices and brands and I had it written down from Saturday. I looked around today and everywhere said $431 and a lot of them were out of stock except tire easy. Got for $374 each so I bought them right away. May get a notice on back order and that’s fine but I guess they hadn’t gotten the memo yet prices were being raised on this tire.

Choate

Reaction score
I’ll let this thread die but noticed I said I live in TX and dont need to worry about snow. This is my truck as of about 4 hours ago. Things changed fast in the forecast after my post. If you zoom in the whole thing is covered in ice too. All 4 doors are frozen shut 47E52F0F-66B1-4D6D-86B8-9AE06B769644.jpeg

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That pirelli must be a new offering in SL. Interesting. I had Firestone destination xt’s in 275-65-20 and thought they were a bit loud and harsh riding. Went back to 275-60-20 to stay in SL. Interested in the scorpions if they really are SL / 48lbs a piece. That’s a great.

Reaction score

Users who are viewing this thread