5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need more mileage (add aux tank)

recon15

Reaction score
I have the 33 gallon tank but sucks having to stop every 300 miles for fuel when towing heavy (i dont like getting below 1/4 tank when on load road trips). Anyone put a 40+/- gallon aux tank in the bed? Also would be nice to have transfer option to fill up toys.

NDanecker

Reaction score
I don't believe you can legally (or really want to) add a gas external tank. Diesel - sure but not gas.

Curious what others suggest, and what the law is specifically,

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not a great answer to your question but as a kid my Grandfather had an old International Harvester "corn-binder" pick-up that had lost the gas tank to rust and he had a 90gal tank behind the cab on the flatbed. about once a year when gas was cheap we did the annual fill-up and it usually ended with the attendant running out to see if he had passed out and was spraying gas everywhere when they saw the meter go over 40 gallons!

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
State laws vary, but it is nice to have the extra. Remember, 40 gal is a lot of weight to add in the bed when towing. It just might put you over your recommended weights. I looked into an aluminum custom tank and a gas certified transfer pump, as tying the two tanks together is neither a good idea or legal in most states. Something about fire hazard in an accident or some BS ;-). I had a 80 gal transfer in my Duramax and filled it with no-ethanol gas when boating. But it was great when snowbirding to have a hundred gallons on board. Just pull over wherever and fill-er-up.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I don't believe you can legally (or really want to) add a gas external tank. Diesel - sure but not gas.

Curious what others suggest, and what the law is specifically,
Suggest - NO to gasoline
Gasoline’s flashpoint is at about -49°F (or -45 °C).
Diesel - The most common type, known as #2, has a flashpoint of around 125°F to 180°F.

Flashpoint refers to the temperature at which a flammable liquid vaporizes, or is able to ignite. For example, the flashpoint of combustible liquids is under 104°F. The lower the flashpoint temperature, the easier it is to ignite the fuel when an ignition source is present. The higher the flashpoint, the safer the liquid is, though. Although gasoline and diesel are both combustible fuels, their flashpoints vary.

recon15

Reaction score
Great points from everyone. Definitely doesn't seem safe when considering all those points BUT i do just as RotorDemon and typically everyone else does and carry several 5 gallon jugs. Wouldnt a secured tank be safer than portable jugs?

recon15

Reaction score
And also most toy haulers have a fuel station.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Also consider that if an external fuel tank is visible, some places are off limits. Was denied parking in covered parking on federal/state facilities with my Duramax because of the in bed diesel tank. Also, I believe there may be restrictions on ferries.

Users who are viewing this thread