5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need Mechanical Advice

H2OMAN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have two pieces of 1/4 inch hardened steel I need to drill one hole in each. I don't have a press. Just plain 'ol cordless drills. If I have the correct bit, can I drill through them or not? .30-06 M2 ammo cannot penetrate it so I'm thinking not but, thought I'd ask someone who might know.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
With the right bit, some cutting oil, and a slow speed, then sure. There’s nothing magical about a drill press (or magnetic drill), except for steady pressure and a consistent slow speed.
You could just take it to a shop somewhere nearby and ask them to sell it for you, couldn’t you?

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
If you are using this for targets I would think you will find it needs to be thicker than 1/4 inch to stop a 30-06. What grade is it?

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
There’s always the old cutting torch too, if you don’t need a clean hole.

Threesuns1

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You could anneal (heat it to red hot then let it cool slowly) the area where you want the hole. Heat it to red hot then let it cool slowly. Then as mentioned above use a good quality bit, cutting oil and slow speed.

H2OMAN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You could anneal (heat it to red hot then let it cool slowly) the area where you want the hole. Heat it to red hot then let it cool slowly. Then as mentioned above use a good quality bit, cutting oil and slow speed.
Interesting. This is the info I needed. Thanks fellas.

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Shoot it with some AP. :cool:

Might look to see if there's a shop that can laser it or water jet it for you.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Carbide bit, slow, with cutting oil.
Agreed, carbide will do the trick. I have used ones I just got from my buddy Bezos at Amazon. They worked for drilling my barrel to pin the flash hider.

H2OMAN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I forget the company I bought these from. But, if you decide to use these type of plates in your carrier you should really know what you are getting. This was not M 855. It was not even M193. It was Fiocchi Range .223. This is not good. Spend your money wisely and get some ceramic. 1000000704.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread