5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need help with Wheel offsets/sizes!

BuckRebel2020

Reaction score
I have a 2020 Rebel and put some aftermarket fender flares on it. They look great, but the wheels are now inset too far and look goofy. I am planning on replacing the wheels and want the tires/wheels to come out about 1.25" - 1.5" from where they stand now (widen the stance). If I am not mistaken the stock Rebel wheels are 8" wide and have +19 offset. If I buy wheels with a -12 offset, that would push the stance out about 1.25". The wheels I am looking at are 9" wide. Will this extra inch of wheel width bring the overall stance out another inch to give me a 2.25" total offset? I want them lining up under the edge of the fender flares, but not sticking out past them. Also, is my logic right? I went by a tire shop on Saturday, and the guy at the counter told me that the stock are +19 and that I need to go positive, not negative to push the wheels out (widen the stance). From everything I have read, this is the opposite, right? Btw, I am keeping the stock 275/70R/18 Duratrac tires if it bears any impact on this.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have a 2020 Rebel and put some aftermarket fender flares on it. They look great, but the wheels are now inset too far and look goofy. I am planning on replacing the wheels and want the tires/wheels to come out about 1.25" - 1.5" from where they stand now (widen the stance). If I am not mistaken the stock Rebel wheels are 8" wide and have +19 offset. If I buy wheels with a -12 offset, that would push the stance out about 1.25". The wheels I am looking at are 9" wide. Will this extra inch of wheel width bring the overall stance out another inch to give me a 2.25" total offset? I want them lining up under the edge of the fender flares, but not sticking out past them. Also, is my logic right? I went by a tire shop on Saturday, and the guy at the counter told me that the stock are +19 and that I need to go positive, not negative to push the wheels out (widen the stance). From everything I have read, this is the opposite, right? Btw, I am keeping the stock 275/70R/18 Duratrac tires if it bears any impact on this.
Have you called Tirerack or Discount Tire?

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You'll need -24 offset to get the 1.25" of change you want with a 9" wide wheel.

The math behind what you're asking so you can do it yourself for any other wheel. I don't include the lip of the wheel in my numbers because almost every wheel has the same amount of lip on each side so including it just gives more numbers to achieve the same answer. Back spacing is how much wheel goes toward the engine from the hub surface.

With the Rebel wheels being 8" wide with +19 offset that means the hub is 19mm closer to the fender than the engine pulling the wheel in. You have a back spacing of 8 / 2 + (19/25.4) = 4.75" roughly. This means that 4.75" of the wheel from the mounting surface goes toward the engine, and 3.25" (8 - 4.75) goes toward the fender.

If new wheel is 9" wide with -12 offset the hub is 12mm closer to the engine than the fender pushing the wheel out. You have a back spacing of 9 / 2 - (12/25.4) = 4" roughly. Your tires would move toward the fender by 0.75". If you wanted a full 1.25" you'd need an offset of -24 for a back spacing of 3.5".

If a wheel has 0 offset then the back spacing is just the width of the wheel divided by 2 because the hub surface is in the center of the wheel.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Discount tire was where I went on Saturday. Not very confident when the guy told me to go positive rather than negative on the wheel offset number.
I just changed my answer to say that the Rebel wheel is 8" wide. Looked it up and everything says 8". I could have sworn mine were 9".

The guy that told you positive offset pushes the wheels out instead of negative needs to get a new job.

BuckRebel2020

Reaction score
You'll need -24 offset to get the 1.25" of change you want with a 9" wide wheel.

The math behind what you're asking so you can do it yourself for any other wheel. I don't include the lip of the wheel in my numbers because almost every wheel has the same amount of lip on each side so including it just gives more numbers to achieve the same answer. Back spacing is how much wheel goes toward the engine from the hub surface.

With the Rebel wheels being 8" wide with +19 offset that means the hub is 19mm closer to the fender than the engine pulling the wheel in. You have a back spacing of 8 / 2 + (19/25.4) = 4.75" roughly. This means that 4.75" of the wheel from the mounting surface goes toward the engine, and 3.25" (8 - 4.75) goes toward the fender.

If new wheel is 9" wide with -12 offset the hub is 12mm closer to the engine than the fender pushing the wheel out. You have a back spacing of 9 / 2 - (12/25.4) = 4" roughly. Your tires would move toward the fender by 0.75". If you wanted a full 1.25" you'd need an offset of -24 for a back spacing of 3.5".

If a wheel has 0 offset then the back spacing is just the width of the wheel divided by 2 because the hub surface is in the center of the wheel.
Thanks LaxDrns15. That makes sense. The wider wheel will offset the offset. I had originally thought of going with spacers, but I have read too much negative info about them. At the very least, it seems like a really good spacer will be ok, but still questionable for various reasons. Also, some of the aftermarket wheels look really good!

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks LaxDrns15. That makes sense. The wider wheel will offset the offset. I had originally thought of going with spacers, but I have read too much negative info about them. At the very least, it seems like a really good spacer will be ok, but still questionable for various reasons. Also, some of the aftermarket wheels look really good!
For what it's worth, I hate spacers. I've never felt comfortable on them even when installed properly. Through fault of my own, I actually had a wheel spacer sheer off and send the wheel/tire going down the road at 50mph. Luckily it didn't hit anyone/anything, but it's not something I ever want to experience again.

Plenty of people have zero problems with spacers, but I will always prefer wheel offset over spacers.

Vulpes

Reaction score
I just changed my answer to say that the Rebel wheel is 8" wide. Looked it up and everything says 8". I could have sworn mine were 9".

The guy that told you positive offset pushes the wheels out instead of negative needs to get a new job.
I'm a tad late, but was poking aorund the Forums and saw this thread, and I had my Rebel wheels off to try some other rims and took this photo of the back of a Rebel Rim. RAM thoughtfully placed all measurements on the back of a spoke. IMG-0081.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread