5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

need help with what size leveling kit for 2019 Bighorn

valleysnyper

Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone can give me guidance as to what size leveling kit for my 2019 Bighorn. Lots of info on this sight, so much in fact it is confusing. Can I just use a tophat kit or do I need a UCA along with it? Any help would be greatly appreciated, also a brand suggestion would be good....Gary

MG99

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone can give me guidance as to what size leveling kit for my 2019 Bighorn. Lots of info on this sight, so much in fact it is confusing. Can I just use a tophat kit or do I need a UCA along with it? Any help would be greatly appreciated, also a brand suggestion would be good....Gary
I learned all of the following from this forum. I currently have no lift or level but plan on it some day. Rake is approximately 2.5 inches but some trucks vary slightly. You can measure from wheel hub to bottom of fender for your exact rake. To level it many people have simply used spacers and nothing else, or bought leveling shocks like bilstein 5100’s. Both of those options are budget friendly. My understanding is that upper control arms do not have to be changed unless lifting more that 2-3 inches.

MG99

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For example, ReadyLift (a site vendor) has a 2” level kit which includes a top strut extension and upper control arms.

Bretth

Reaction score
I did the Rough Country struts really nice ride and actually brought the front up a bit over level. I would go the strut option over a spacer.

Attachments

• 7E1F36EA-390E-41B9-87C6-33DFC68F813E.jpeg
    7E1F36EA-390E-41B9-87C6-33DFC68F813E.jpeg
    245.9 KB · Views: 67

Mark derix

Reaction score
I did just puck up front

Attachments

• 20200418_180118.jpg
    20200418_180118.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 63
  • 20200418_180407.jpg
    20200418_180407.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 68

RainDesert

Reaction score
I did the Rough Country struts really nice ride and actually brought the front up a bit over level. I would go the strut option over a spacer.
I have always looked at those 2" struts. I am glad to know you like them, I have not any on the new 1500's.

RainDesert

Reaction score
For example, ReadyLift (a site vendor) has a 2” level kit which includes a top strut extension and upper control arms.
From what I have learned;
If you go with a 2" preload spacer the control arms are not as needed. If you go with the 2-2.5" top mount spacer the control arms should be used.
I went with the preload spacer for now with no UCA's and mine is working out well so far.

Last edited:

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score

did you happen to measure your rake before you installed those leveling struts?I had wanted to get those but I absolutely do not want my truck sitting higher in the front. It’s the only reason I haven’t got them yet. My rake is exactly 2” and I would actually prefer to still have about a 1/2” of rake. I did bilsteins set at 2.1 on my 13 express and that looked a little nose high as well. I can’t find a 1-1/2” leveling kit anywhere. So I either need to do bilsteins again and go with the 1.7 setting or go with a 2.5” front 1” rear level kit.

Bretth

Reaction score
@Finn5033 I didn’t remember to measure my factory ride height before install but from my eye my front end sits just a bit high. I will caveat that I have a 2WD so a 4wd might have enough weight to stay level.

Jenry0405

Reaction score
Do you have any side shots of the truck? Thinking about going with the same struts, thanks! Awesome truck btw!

Bretth

Reaction score

Attachments

• AAB9FF79-FC1A-4CC6-ADA5-2FA3A019082E.jpeg
    AAB9FF79-FC1A-4CC6-ADA5-2FA3A019082E.jpeg
    155.7 KB · Views: 43

LM42

Reaction score
I watched a YouTube vid of a guy doing a spacer install on the 5th gen with the style that just goes right on top of the strut (easiest install) from the old body truck. When I called one of the companies assuming these were available they said not to use that style, that they caused a bad angle for the control arms, that you had to use the style puck that required strut disassembly. Anyone have more insight as to whether they have used that old style without issue or no?

Mark derix

Reaction score
I watched a YouTube vid of a guy doing a spacer install on the 5th gen with the style that just goes right on top of the strut (easiest install) from the old body truck. When I called one of the companies assuming these were available they said not to use that style, that they caused a bad angle for the control arms, that you had to use the style puck that required strut disassembly. Anyone have more insight as to whether they have used that old style without issue or no?
That is true i mean you can run that but will need ball joints every year

Mark derix

Reaction score
2 inch

Attachments

• 20200418_180429.jpg
    20200418_180429.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 30

MarkB67

Reaction score
I learned all of the following from this forum. I currently have no lift or level but plan on it some day. Rake is approximately 2.5 inches but some trucks vary slightly. You can measure from wheel hub to bottom of fender for your exact rake. To level it many people have simply used spacers and nothing else, or bought leveling shocks like bilstein 5100’s. Both of those options are budget friendly. My understanding is that upper control arms do not have to be changed unless lifting more that 2-3 inches.
So Bilstein 5100 set at max 2.6 wouldn’t need aftermarket UCA’s ?

MG99

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So Bilstein 5100 set at max 2.6 wouldn’t need aftermarket UCA’s ?
If it were my truck I would definitely put after market UCA’s for anything over 2”. The 2” Mopar lift comes with different UCA’s and the people at Mopar know a lot more than me.

Users who are viewing this thread