5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need help with runningboard LED installation.

Ram Man 727

Reaction score
I'm trying to add LED lights to my Westin running boards. I'm looking for some advice from any tech guys! :)
I would like to have the lights come on with the mirror puddle lights/cargo lights/interior lights etc, when I unlock my doors. I have some concerns tapping into a wire to accomplish this (likely the light under the dash on the drivers side) as I don't want to cause any electrical issues with potentially overloading the circuit. The running board lights have a total of 8 LEDs so I don't think there is much draw but I don't know how sensitive the electronics are in the truck.
So.. I think I have 2 options..
1: Go ahead an tap into a either the puddle light wire or the light under the dash and rund the runningboard lights direct from there;
2: Run the running board LEDs off their own dedicated wire using a fuse tap and then using a relay and have it triggered by the puddle light or under dash light. This would still have me taping into the same wire but there would be minimal draw since it's just the trigger for the relay. What would be the best & easiest wire to tap into for the trigger?

Any thoughts or suggestions on what would be the best way ?

RickWaz

Reaction score
I had white/amber running board lights (70" LED strip) installed, that flash amber w/ the turn signal lights and light up white w/ the doors opening. My guy wired the white portion of lights to the wires that power the OEM bed lights. So if you have these OEM bed lights, that's an easy wiring installation.

Ram Man 727

Reaction score
I had white/amber running board lights (70" LED strip) installed, that flash amber w/ the turn signal lights and light up white w/ the doors opening. My guy wired the white portion of lights to the wires that power the OEM bed lights. So if you have these OEM bed lights, that's an easy wiring installation.
Thanks, that's a great option. Do you get any flickering of your LEDs on your running boards?

RickWaz

Reaction score
Not a bit! And I affixed these LED strip lights to the underside of my running boards (I have the electric, auto-deployable running boards) so the amber lights were more visible and so the white lights would better illuminate under and "away" from my running boards, w/ no shadows.

Tema180

Reaction score
I'm a moron and need help with getting the led wire through the floor on the driver side. How is this done?

Ram Man 727

Reaction score
I would bring the wire in through the firewall. There is a spot on the drivers side that is easily accessible.
See this thread;

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
That's a great idea to use the OEM bed light wiring. Did you put the LED strips the strips themselves or on the truck body to shine down in the steps as they deploy? Sounds like a neat weekend project.

Tema180

Reaction score
I would bring the wire in through the firewall. There is a spot on the drivers side that is easily accessible.
See this thread;
Thanks. One more rookie question: the light system I bought has 2 wires that I need to splice to some other wires that get power when the vehicle is unlocked via the fob and/or when the doors open, Do anyone know how I go about figuring out which wires these are?

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Thanks. One more rookie question: the light system I bought has 2 wires that I need to splice to some other wires that get power when the vehicle is unlocked via the fob and/or when the doors open, Do anyone know how I go about figuring out which wires these are?
You may want to hire a professional my friend.....

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Nah, I'm handy enough. Literally just need help figuring out which to wires to attach it to.
The BLACK wire just needs a good ground to the chassis which you can find just about anywhere...it's the RED one you need to be concerned about ;)

Kilroy

Reaction score
Digging up an old thread but I decided to go another route. Since I was already installing a tailgate light bar and utilizing the CURT adaptor to get the connections I needed, I took a leg off the 12V pin (charging - has power all the time) I ordered some small magnet reed contractors such is used on security systems, and wired thous up and places a small neodymium magnet on the trailing actuator arm and this way when the running board extends the lights come on, then when they retract the go off. This works independently on each side of the truck. I have the driver's side installed and plan on working on the passenger side tomorrow and finish the wiring. Once I am done I will take some photos and a video of the operation.

Read switches

Neodymium magnets

The light strips I used OPT7

Curt Adaptor (I spliced into the harness to get both +12V and backup lights for the tailgate light bar and the power for the running board lights)

Loom to tidy things up

Skater

Reaction score
Ramvader did exactly what you want to do. Follow his instructions and do a search for his threads. He put together very comprehensive instructions for many mods with photos, tool and supply lists.

I suspect if you PM him he would help. Ramvader is a great guy and helped me out a bunch with my mods.

Sarge65

Reaction score
Digging up an old thread but I decided to go another route. Since I was already installing a tailgate light bar and utilizing the CURT adaptor to get the connections I needed, I took a leg off the 12V pin (charging - has power all the time) I ordered some small magnet reed contractors such is used on security systems, and wired thous up and places a small neodymium magnet on the trailing actuator arm and this way when the running board extends the lights come on, then when they retract the go off. This works independently on each side of the truck. I have the driver's side installed and plan on working on the passenger side tomorrow and finish the wiring. Once I am done I will take some photos and a video of the operation.

Read switches

Neodymium magnets

The light strips I used OPT7

Curt Adaptor (I spliced into the harness to get both +12V and backup lights for the tailgate light bar and the power for the running board lights)

Loom to tidy things up
Would like to see video of this, if possible, when it's done.

Users who are viewing this thread