5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need help with install of step rails

kingkasc

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm trying to install step rails on my 19 ram and it says "chase threads on the stud first before installing to prevent paint build up" basically I can't get the nut on due to factory paint on the bolt.. it won't catch.. I tried google but it wasn't any help.. how do I chase the 8mm bolt? Thanks!

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Some have used a wire brush on a drill. You just need to get the paint off - but leave the threads!

jamesfg

Reaction score
You can always get a low dollar tap and die set from Harbor Freight.

kingkasc

Reaction score
ended up using paint remover and mineral spirit with wired sponge. Will post pics tm of steprail!

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's a bit of a pain. I tried going at mine with paint stripper and a wire brush. Too tedious. Ended up putting paint stripper on and letting it sit a few minutes, then going over them with a grade 8 nut. All the way on, all the way off, then wipe it down. No problems after that.

kingkasc

Reaction score
It's a bit of a pain. I tried going at mine with paint stripper and a wire brush. Too tedious. Ended up putting paint stripper on and letting it sit a few minutes, then going over them with a grade 8 nut. All the way on, all the way off, then wipe it down. No problems after that.

Very nice! Do you know how to remove this nut? My instructions say to remove this nut.. but when I begin to turn it, everything else starts to turn and I'm scared to damage the truck!! Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_8189.JPG
    IMG_8189.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 42

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Very nice! Do you know how to remove this nut? My instructions say to remove this nut.. but when I begin to turn it, everything else starts to turn and I'm scared to damage the truck!! Thanks
I'm not sure what bolt that is. I didnt have to remove anything to install mine.

kingkasc

Reaction score
i bought the tuff bar 3" and it says to remove that bolt to add a bar that connects to where your bar is, basically a support for the support.
I'm not sure what bolt that is. I didnt have to remove anything to install mine.

Users who are viewing this thread