5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need Help: USB #3 CarPlay on 12.1" system?

kingcole

Reaction score
Hi all. I'm trying to get some quick info about the USB ports in the back of the center console, and I'm hoping some of you with 12.1" systems and iPhones would be willing to check on something. My urgency here is trying to make sure this is functioning as it's supposed to, before the clock on the dealer warranty runs out. I've got 24 hours to keep the ticket open!

Here's the deal: in my "old" 2019 Ram with 8.4" screen, plugging into the #3 USB port triggered CarPlay on an iPhone. In my "new" 2019 Ram Limited with 12.1" screen, it triggers Android Auto, but not CarPlay. It will also function as a media port: the only issue is lack of CarPlay.

The dealership just replaced the media port containing the #3 USB port, and the replacement functions exactly the same way. They then checked another similarly equipped vehicle (12.1" system, I don't know the trim level or year) and it worked exactly the same way: media, Android Auto, no CarPlay. They tried the same thing on a truck with 8.4" system, and the #3 port brought up Android Auto AND CarPlay.

What the dealer is now telling me is that they believe it is functioning as intended. It sure sounds like it. I'd love for that to be true: my only concern here is that this is indicative of a failure with the head unit, and I definitely want that repaired under warranty! So, would any of you who happen to have 12.1" systems double check the CarPlay functionality of that port?

Thanks so much in advance for any help you can provide.

Users who are viewing this thread