5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need help picking tires...

Moosefire66

Reaction score
So, my 19 ram 1500 came stock with 18's. I'm keeping those for winter tires and I bought new 20 inch rims, that will be my "summer" tires so I can keep them nice and shiny without worrying about the road salt here in michigan.

When it comes to tires, I'm out of the loop. I dont know what's good, bad, or anything in between. Here's my criteria that I'm looking for...

- Long lasting tire
- Good MPG
- Looks good
- Affordable
- Quiet
- Smooth riding

That list is not in order,, just written as I thought of them.. I'm guessing most people have the same wants for a tire, but if it helps my truck (19 ram 1500 DT) is used 99% as a back and forth to work truck. No camper or trailer of any sort, no plans for one in the future. I drive 10-15k a year but only half of that will be on these tires, the other half will be on the stock 18's in winter. I dont off road anymore so don't need anything with gnarly tread on it

All that said, this is my first truck in about a decade, so I'm not in the loop with any of this stuff anymore

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks as always

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
So, my 19 ram 1500 came stock with 18's. I'm keeping those for winter tires and I bought new 20 inch rims, that will be my "summer" tires so I can keep them nice and shiny without worrying about the road salt here in michigan.

When it comes to tires, I'm out of the loop. I dont know what's good, bad, or anything in between. Here's my criteria that I'm looking for...

- Long lasting tire
- Good MPG
- Looks good
- Affordable
- Quiet
- Smooth riding

That list is not in order,, just written as I thought of them.. I'm guessing most people have the same wants for a tire, but if it helps my truck (19 ram 1500 DT) is used 99% as a back and forth to work truck. No camper or trailer of any sort, no plans for one in the future. I drive 10-15k a year but only half of that will be on these tires, the other half will be on the stock 18's in winter. I dont off road anymore so don't need anything with gnarly tread on it

All that said, this is my first truck in about a decade, so I'm not in the loop with any of this stuff anymore

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks as always

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk
I tend to believe you need to put it some priority order based on my own past experience.

In my case my wife's 2006 Honda Accord had too much road noise from the tires while a passenger. When it came time to replace the tires I purchased based on road noise reduction. The tires I did purchase worked well for reducing the noise.

I also purchased tires for a 1994 Ford Explorer that I was looking to spend on the low end. Those tires did result in less mpg.

On a 1985 Toyota Corolla I replaced the OEM tires with Michelin on the higher $ end of the spectrum and the handling improved.

My 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 came with Michelin tires and served me very well and I replaced with the same.

I purchased Dunlops for a 1990 Toyota Celica and blew out a few tires on pot holes and where replaced with some Pep Boy tires ($350 for 4, low mileage-35K ) and never had a problem again (probably because I bought the warranty).

At this point I believe you get what you pay for (except the Dunlops - pure junk).

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/