5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need help on receiver drop

KingRebel

Reaction score
Hi all,

New 2019 RAM Rebel owner and to the forum.

I am preparing to move from NY to TX and plan to use the Rebel to tow my other vehicle for the trip.

I stopped by U-Haul and reserved an auto Transporter. The worker there told me I would need a 2 1/4 drop receiver. However, it is my understanding the height of the U-Haul coupler is around 18 inches. The height of the Rebel receiver tube is around 21 1/4. Shouldn’t the correct drop be at least 3 inches?

The worker said once I load the vehicle onto the transporter, it’ll will weight down and level out.

I do not have air suspension which self levels.

Appreciate any guidance on this. Thanks.

BLS65

Reaction score
He did not mean that your truck would self level, he was talking about the rear springs compressing a bit with the load. Go with his recommendation.

wwalljr

Reaction score
Rear will squat under weight is what they meant. What they told you will work.

Senior Chief

Reaction score
One additional comment, you want your tongue weight to be no more then 10 % of the overall trailer weight otherwise the trailer will be squirrely.

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
One additional comment, you want your tongue weight to be no more then 10 % of the overall trailer weight otherwise the trailer will be squirrely.
I think you meant to say “not less than 10%”. 10-15% being the recommended tongue weight for most trailers. Unless I’m missing something.

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The guidance I have always heard and go by is for loads under 5000lbs always 10% or more, not to exceed 18%. For loads over 5000lbs to 10,000lbs 9%-15%. For loads over 10,000lbs 8%-14%

Users who are viewing this thread