5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

need help in decision 2019 Ram 2500 or 2020 ram 1500 limited

icnsideu71

Reaction score
I have been mulling over this for weeks and can't decide. I am torn between a 2019 2500 diesel Laramie night edition or whatever thats called and a 2020 limited 1500 night edition 5.7 . I can get them both for the same price. the Laramie has basically every option available to a Laramie including the very expensive diesel. only thing missing is the sunroof. So I'm like I can get a HD truck for a 1500 price but not quit as nice in the inside. They do both have the 12" displays though. Man I don't know why but its such a hard decision . I don't need the diesel to pull anything. I only tow 2 -3 times a year and a travel trailer about 8K and a boat a few times a year about 8K so the gas is fine but the diesel I would think would be better resale and I never keep a truck probably more then 3 years. I like the look and the size of the 2500 But I love the all the options and the extremely nice leather in the 1500. I guess my main question is what makes the most financial sense overall?
Thank you in advance for any thoughts or comments.
Scott
Also I drive about 25,000 miles a year and literally spend 3-4hrs a day in my truck

Last edited:

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Have you driven both trucks? The 1500 will be more comfortable for daily use. Maintenance will be quite a bit more expensive with the diesel. Tires are more expensive as well. The trade-in value for the HD should be higher, but maybe not enough to offset the higher cost of maintaining it. Bottom line for me was the purpose for wanting a truck. I considered an HD. I think they look better than the 1500's. I often need to haul stuff in the bed, but since I rarely tow anything at all (even then it's less than 8000 lbs), I really didn't need that much truck. So I went with the 1500. Not regretting my decision. Hell, if you're happy with the Laramie trim level on the HD, why not look at a 1500 Laramie. You'll probably save somewhere in the neighborhood of $10k.

icnsideu71

Reaction score
Have you driven both trucks? The 1500 will be more comfortable for daily use. Maintenance will be quite a bit more expensive with the diesel. Tires are more expensive as well. The trade-in value for the HD should be higher, but maybe not enough to offset the higher cost of maintaining it. Bottom line for me was the purpose for wanting a truck. I considered an HD. I think they look better than the 1500's. I often need to haul stuff in the bed, but since I rarely tow anything at all (even then it's less than 8000 lbs), I really didn't need that much truck. So I went with the 1500. Not regretting my decision. Hell, if you're happy with the Laramie trim level on the HD, why not look at a 1500 Laramie. You'll probably save somewhere in the neighborhood of $10k.
The only reason I would be ok with the Laramie interior is because I like the look of the 2500 from the outside better. I really don't care for the leather thats in it and lack of leather on the panels but its not awful and it doesn't look that much cheaper then my f250 platinum that I have now. The Limited interior blows away any interior on any truck out there.

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Since you are only talking about owning the truck for 3 years, go buy the 1500 Limited. It will be more than fine towing with the Air Suspension when you do tow, and a lot more comfortable and luxurious for the 3 years you will own it. The Diesel will hold resale better, but you will still get soaked on trade in at the dealer. You won't regret the 1500 in three years, but you might wish you could get Fuel anywhere you want and a smoother ride.

icnsideu71

Reaction score
I have driven both and the 1500 is smoother and faster but I also like the diesel sound even though its pretty quiet nowadays and I like the height of the 2500. I don't think I could go wrong with either truck but one other thing that sorta comes into play is my insurance on the 1500 is $50 more a month then the 2500 which to me is baffling. The MSRP on the 2500 is 74,000 and the msrp on the 1500 is 70k.

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Will this be a “ lease “ type of deal since you trade so often ?

JDBob35a

Reaction score
If you don't need the towing capacity of the diesel I'd go 1500. Buy the truck your going to use every day, not the one you use once in a while.

79 300

Reaction score
I had a 2500 for five years, traded it in on my 2019 1500. The 2500 looked great with the higher stance and all, but I personally got tired of the rough ride and the overall sluggish, heavy performance. The new 5th generation 1500 drives like a performance car compared to the 2500, and rides like a luxury car compared to the 2500. I really did like my 2500 , but enjoy driving the new 1500 much more. Remember, the 2500 is really still a 4th generation truck with a refresh, so you would be buying a 9 year old platform as well.

icnsideu71

Reaction score
I had a 2500 for five years, traded it in on my 2019 1500. The 2500 looked great with the higher stance and all, but I personally got tired of the rough ride and the overall sluggish, heavy performance. The new 5th generation 1500 drives like a performance car compared to the 2500, and rides like a luxury car compared to the 2500. I really did like my 2500 , but enjoy driving the new 1500 much more. Remember, the 2500 is really still a 4th generation truck with a refresh, so you would be buying a 9 year old platform as well.
That’s very true and a good point

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have driven both and the 1500 is smoother and faster but I also like the diesel sound even though its pretty quiet nowadays and I like the height of the 2500. I don't think I could go wrong with either truck but one other thing that sorta comes into play is my insurance on the 1500 is $50 more a month then the 2500 which to me is baffling. The MSRP on the 2500 is 74,000 and the msrp on the 1500 is 70k.
You didn't respond to my comment about buying a 1500 Laramie instead of Limited. You said you liked the features in the 2500 Laramie. My 2020 1500 Laramie had an MSRP of $58k. I didn't want the 12 inch display, so it doesn't have that. But it does have the sport appearance package, off road group, and rambox option. I ended up paying right at $50k. And that was before the employee discount incentive they have going on right now. Just a suggestion, but dropping down to that trim level in a 1500 could save you a lot.

JB2

Reaction score
and a 2020 limited 1500 night edition 5.7 .

Are dealerships able to push through actual Night Edition Pkg selections for Limiteds now? That would be excellent news if that's the case. I had thought only the Blk Appearance pkg was offered for Limited's.

rah6887

Reaction score
I would go with the 1500.
I had 2500's for the past 10 years, most recent was 17 with the Cummins, diesel life can be expensive, $120 oil changes, $200 fuel filters, and the vibrations/rough ride gets old.
Resale is awesome though, I had my 17 almost 3 years, and got 40k for it, trading it in for my current 1500, which rides 1000 times better.

icnsideu71

Reaction score
Are dealerships able to push through actual Night Edition Pkg selections for Limiteds now? That would be excellent news if that's the case. I had thought only the Blk Appearance pkg was offered for Limited's.
Yes you are correct its just black appearance . I just couldn't remember the actual wordage.

Reactions: JB2

icnsideu71

Reaction score
I would go with the 1500.
I had 2500's for the past 10 years, most recent was 17 with the Cummins, diesel life can be expensive, $120 oil changes, $200 fuel filters, and the vibrations/rough ride gets old.
Resale is awesome though, I had my 17 almost 3 years, and got 40k for it, trading it in for my current 1500, which rides 1000 times better.
Yeah I had a 14 ram 2500 limited and put 90,000 mi and got 48,000 for it when I traded on my ford f250. I have 61,000 on it and they want to give me 51,000 on it.So I know the diesels do very well on resale and also why I'm a bit hesitant on the 1500. They are really expensive still and worried ill take a bath on the trade.

icnsideu71

Reaction score
You didn't respond to my comment about buying a 1500 Laramie instead of Limited. You said you liked the features in the 2500 Laramie. My 2020 1500 Laramie had an MSRP of $58k. I didn't want the 12 inch display, so it doesn't have that. But it does have the sport appearance package, off road group, and rambox option. I ended up paying right at $50k. And that was before the employee discount incentive they have going on right now. Just a suggestion, but dropping down to that trim level in a 1500 could save you a lot.
I only like the Laramie 2500 because I think the actual truck looks so much better then the 1500 so I would be willing to compromise with a lesser interior. But if I am getting a 1500 and I don't like the look of it as much(not as tough looking) then I at least want it to be with all the extra interior stuff that I truly love about ram limiteds. At least thats my thought process and part of the reason this decision is so hard. They Both have awesome features and cost nearly the same. But yes if I was truly looking for the most financial sense then buying a Laramie 1500 would be the smartest thing to do but I'm not always smart :/ , Lol

Users who are viewing this thread