5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need Help - Damaged truck and no part availability

GARam3500

Reaction score
Hello all -

Hoping to get some help/ideas on an issue I'm currently facing and am completely stuck on. I'll try to keep it short and to the point:

I own a 2021 Ram 3500 Limited SRW with the HO Cummins Engine. It's a great truck and I've never had a single issue with it through 30,000 miles.
On May 12th, I was backing out of my driveway and clipped the rim of our basketball hoop (another long story), damaging the rear right side of my roof. Through Geico, I brought my truck to a local body shop that ordered the part my truck needs (68640908AA) through their local dealership and got a 30-day rental car while the repair was being completed.
Nearly three months later, my truck is still completely disassembled in the shop with no new roof. The local dealership my body shop works with is being told the part is backordered with a target date of April 2025, which would be nearly a year from the actual accident. I've been using Ubers out of pocket to/from work and sharing the other vehicle in our house for nearly two months now and our kids go back to school/sports next week, so the days of having one car are over.

I've talked to Ram Customer Care directly and they've effectively told me to pound sand. It feels like there has to be a better solution for a customer who purchased a $90K+ truck and is looking at not having access to it for nearly a year because of part availability issues besides, "We aren't making the part until next year, sorry." Any ideas on where to turn to?

Thanks all, GARam3500

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Not much you can do if the part isn't available. Price of your vehicle doesnt matter. Can the body shop not just repair your roof as opposed to replacing it? Not sure the damage done as there are no pictures.

Another rout maybe be to see if a junkyard maybe has one from another wrecked truck.

Also, this forum is for the 1500s. There is a Hdrams.com forum for the heavy duty trucks.

Majortom

Reaction score
As I see it, in this situation you have two sources for parts. New or Used. If your part can’t be repaired, and new parts aren’t available, used it is.

Users who are viewing this thread