5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need assist: 3.7 V6 seized engine

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My step son seized his 2006 3.7 V6 by the oil being absent.... Question is what is the cheapest way to go, rebuild or replace? I am guessing a rebuilt or pulled 3.7 would be the most economical. Any recommendations in either Denver or Colorado Springs area? Thanks in advance.

Nukegm426

Reaction score
Call your local salvage yard and price it... last time I replaced a motor in an older car was probably 10 years ago and it was 500 plus core for a used motor with a few thousand mile warranty

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
A used engine is probably going to be the cheapest route. It's also riskiest. If you install it and fire it up and discover it burns oil like mad, they'll be happy to refund the money or exchange it. But you eat the labor and the fluids.

Before he (you) spends long green on an engine and all the nickel-and-dime stuff he'll need like belts and hoses and tuneup parts and water pump and fluids, look at the rest of the truck. Is it worth it? A new engine doesn't give you a new truck. If it's got rust and body rot, it'll still be there. If the axle seal leaks and the rear brakes are contaminated, they'll still need a couple hundred bucks' worth of parts. The worn shocks, the leaky rack-and-pinion, they'll all still be there.

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the info. The truck is sound and has a decent all else mechanical state. The mechanic is going to purchase it and put in a engine and re-sell it. My step son is getting his Dads old 2007 Ram 1500 and I am guessing his Dad is going to go get a 2015-2017 Ram 1500.

Users who are viewing this thread