5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need advice, upgrading my 2016 Rebel

tied

Reaction score
I need some advice / opinions. This is my daily driver, upgrading my 2016 Rebel which has the air suspension. Have 2 candidate 2019 Rebels, almost identical.

Local option: All the options without the 12A (so vinyl / cloth seats), no sunroof, no 33-gallon tank. With the air suspension.
4-Hour away option: All the options with the 12A (so leather seats), has everything else (sunroof, 33-gallon tank, etc) except NO air suspension, but comes with tubular side steps.
Basically same prices.

Looking to keep for a long time. I like the air suspension for getting young kids in and out of car seats and it being the daily driver. I am leery about future maintenance to the air suspension.

What would you guys get? How much am I going to miss it from my 2016? How worried should I be about it breaking and costing $$$ in repairs?

Mustangmike66

Reaction score
I'd go with the without air suspension, but that's just me. I don't want to deal with the potential maintenance issues. Of course I don't like the 12A either. Really just depends what you like more, air suspension or not.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Go no air, get nice running boards. I have a 6 and 8 year old and they have no problems getting in and out.

If you're in a cold climate, you dodge that bullet too.

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think the question is more about do you want the 12 package or not? I chose not to get it bec the seats were just kind of bleh to me and I didn’t want to deal with early versions of the 12” screen. Now that it’s been out for a bit, I think it’s already gotten a little better.

If you don’t plan on doing a lift kit, I wouldn’t be too worried about the air ride honestly. They have been doing it for awhile now, I mean you have one now so has it broken down?

I went non air because I’m doing 8-10” but if I wasn’t, I’d have gone air ride.

kjn86

Reaction score
4-hour away one for SURE. No air is better anyway plus the it has everything else you want. No brainer.

tied

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I think I’m leaning toward the no air suspension with all the other goodies (the 33-gallon tank is a nice to have, but it’ll be handy, the Rebel isn’t a beacon of efficiency lol). The cold weather issues are a little concerning as well, I don’t live in a continuous cold weather area, but like to take trips to Colorado in the cold months. Would hate to damage the air suspension spending a week in 10 degree weather.

edgarrian

Reaction score
avoid air suspension like a virus. The suspension on these trucks are great.

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I need some advice / opinions. This is my daily driver, upgrading my 2016 Rebel which has the air suspension. Have 2 candidate 2019 Rebels, almost identical.

Local option: All the options without the 12A (so vinyl / cloth seats), no sunroof, no 33-gallon tank. With the air suspension.
4-Hour away option: All the options with the 12A (so leather seats), has everything else (sunroof, 33-gallon tank, etc) except NO air suspension, but comes with tubular side steps.
Basically same prices.

Looking to keep for a long time. I like the air suspension for getting young kids in and out of car seats and it being the daily driver. I am leery about future maintenance to the air suspension.

What would you guys get? How much am I going to miss it from my 2016? How worried should I be about it breaking and costing $$$ in repairs?

I had a Generation 1 Rebel.
Fell in love with fullsize trucks, with the Ram brand, with the rebel look.
Here it is in the dealer lot, as I was ordering the 2nd Gen rebel, 2019 5th Gen Ram.

I was wary of the air suspension in the long term. I was. I never got over it, there wasn't a "magic bullet" fix for the issues guys in the COLD-cold climates were having. It did not let me down, but the air suspension did get very slow/had issues in cold snaps/snow at times. I didn't want to take a chance. The doorsticker on my truck was under 1000lbs payload. It may or may not have leveled 100% perfectly with an undisclosed amount over that! Was very pleased with how the air suspension worked, when working, but I wasn't willing to bet a lot of money it would work perfectly forever. I have the same rationale about Ford's ecoboost family, but that's another discussion.

I went to the 5th gen without air suspension. Ride quality wise? I don't miss it. If you blind folded me and somehow tricked me into not noticing the 4th and 5th gen interior differences, I might have a hard time picking out which was which. The 5th gen has less body roll, I would rate it as better overall, but I LOVED the ride of the 4th gen. Very good ride.
I haven't gotten much of a chance to payload test it, but as I'm going to springs, I expect it will NOT look as level when it has an equivalent load. That's what was special about the air suspension in the first place.
The 5th gen suspension is supposedly be progressive rate I believe - meaning it's soft at the top, and as you start loading it up it gets firmer.
You can also see the reservoirs. It's a well thought out system.

Would I get anything other than a 33gal gas tank? No. But that's just me. I drive it like a younger guy, in a mostly non-highway environment, and on the highway - it's an excuse to hear the magnaflow in a speed limit legal way!

Do I miss being able to lower it? Only for parking garages. I've found the step rails are more than fine. Ye,s being able to lower it was a perk, but it's not been a deal-breaker.

The payload increase was dramatic. About +450lbs worth. That means more room for people and cargo when towing, as well as mods if you want to go that route, all while staying safely within the doorsticker numbers.
It retained the 5.7 Hemi loved and trusted, and the 8speed ZF transmission. IMHO the transmission shift points are better on this generation.
I had a little bit of a hard downshift situation on the last one, coming down to 3rd gear when decelerating. This truck does not do that.
Oh, and the small overlap crash testing on the 5th gen is very good, as is the roof strength supposedly. I would trust it more in a collision.

I loved the 4th gen truck for a bunch of reasons. Once upon a time I might have been considered a Ford guy, this one brought me to Ram, I've never considered going back. But I do think the 5th gen is a better buy. Features wise, construction wise, longevity wise.
I believe they put the aluminum over the wheel wells, where rusting out happens to every makers trucks. Very smart placement

Attachments

• Ram_finale.jpg
    Ram_finale.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 18
  • TFLTruck_Rebel_Shocks.png
    TFLTruck_Rebel_Shocks.png
    1 MB · Views: 18

tied

Reaction score
Thanks for all the thoughts guys. I caved and ended up with the local one (with the air suspension) and no sunroof (at least my head won’t get burned).

I just couldn’t get the other dealer to get close to the same deal (they wouldn’t come up to the local guys on trade) and couldn’t figure out how to take a full day to go get it on short notice. Life got in the way, but I’m pretty happy with the choice even with the air ride. Ended up with one of the MaxCare warranties, so if anything bad happens, at least it’s on their dime.

And no 33 gal tank, but I’m getting old anyway and pretty sure between me or the kids one of us is gonna need a stop for a bio break before I could use even the 26 gallons standard.

And if nothing else, it gives me a minute of contemplation time every time I wait for Entry / Exit height (-: it’s nice to chill for a second waiting on the deflate haha

Thanks again everyone...

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Thanks for all the thoughts guys. I caved and ended up with the local one (with the air suspension) and no sunroof (at least my head won’t get burned).

I just couldn’t get the other dealer to get close to the same deal (they wouldn’t come up to the local guys on trade) and couldn’t figure out how to take a full day to go get it on short notice. Life got in the way, but I’m pretty happy with the choice even with the air ride. Ended up with one of the MaxCare warranties, so if anything bad happens, at least it’s on their dime.

And no 33 gal tank, but I’m getting old anyway and pretty sure between me or the kids one of us is gonna need a stop for a bio break before I could use even the 26 gallons standard.

And if nothing else, it gives me a minute of contemplation time every time I wait for Entry / Exit height (-: it’s nice to chill for a second waiting on the deflate haha

Thanks again everyone...

Congrats on your purchase. You should compare what you paid for your maxcare warranty from the dealer with the same warranty from Ziegler. They sell the same Mopar factory warranties but they usually make far less profit on them. Go price one out on their website below. Be sure to choose the correct vehicle and then cross reference the correct years/mileage/deductible. If you use the code payinfull you will get a further discount of the price you see (around $350). You can always cancel the one you bought from the dealer (believe you have 30 days?) and purchase from Ziegler which I’m guessing will be much cheaper than what you paid. Warranties are one way dealers make $$$ because they overcharge. Here’s the website

https://www.chryslerfactoryplans.com/

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Thanks again everyone...

Also go and apply for this separate rebate:

Make sure you go file for this additional rebate. Seems like they have been having problems with vin numbers being in the system so you have to call them so they send you the actual app. Do it within 60 days of purchase. Many of us have already received our checks. No strings attached.

The only qualification is that “someone in your household” must have a non-FCA vehicle.

https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/update-250-rebate-on-all-new-rams.5648/

Direct link to form (you DO NOT have to have Allstate insurance):

https://www.allstate.bonusdrive.com/Content/Bonus_Drive_Form_With_Survey_Allstate.pdf

tied

Reaction score
Thanks, I’ll check out the rebate. The MaxCare is rolled into my note, as I didn’t want to put up the cash, but I did make them take a full percent off the rate for buying the warranty, so it was a decent enough deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/