5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need advice from any experienced negotiators for a factory order

UDCentaur

Reaction score
Past owner of a 2015 Laramie - I’m looking at a new 2020 or a used 2018-2020. One option I’m thinking is going to play out is getting a factory order. I want the newer Hydro Blue with Level 1, Sport, 3.92, Anti slip, trailer tow, etc. it’s very hard to find one around here that fits those requirements.

For those who ordered before - how did you word your email to your dealers? I want these ___ options and I want it at ____ price?? Of course incentives are part of it too at the date of the delivery. So ask for the price locked at this price point or just ask for 20% off. I know the general rule of thumb is 20% off MSRP. Just didn’t want insult or act arrogant during these times. Just wondering how guys that did this in the past did it with success.

Any advice would be extremely helpful!

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NJC1684

Reaction score
Shoot for 10-15% off MSRP (dealer discount), rebates will be applied at delivery.

Last edited:

mrauenzahn

Reaction score
Past owner of a 2015 Laramie - I’m looking at a new 2020 or a used 2018-2020. One option I’m thinking is going to play out is getting a factory order. I want the newer Hydro Blue with Level 1, Sport, 3.92, Anti slip, trailer tow, etc. it’s very hard to find one around here that fits those requirements.

For those who ordered before - how did you word your email to your dealers? I want these ___ options and I want it at ____ price?? Of course incentives are part of it too at the date of the delivery. So ask for the price locked at this price point or just ask for 20% off. I know the general rule of thumb is 20% off MSRP. Just didn’t want insult or act arrogant during these times. Just wondering how guys that did this in the past did it with success.

Any advice would be extremely helpful!

Thank you!

Just got 24% off a limited. Nothing arrogant about it. You want something they have and vice versa. For every 10 people who get 24, there are 10 who get taken for 8% interest and full price. Get the most you can, you likely work hard for your money.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

CharlieP

Reaction score
Remember you can get a good price on a factory order because it does not sit in their inventory costing them money 20% right now should be easy and they can do what they want with the incentives either the ones that are in when you order or the ones that are active when it comes in.

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My suggestion is to have your email list what you want in the build, advise the recipient that you are shopping on price but would prefer to buy locally, if they can make it work. I would ask them for atheir best price and a Confoguration Preview, which will show all the options they are pricing into the build.

I would work from the FWP on the Cindig, essentially their “invoice” price. Usually that’s around 7% under MSRP, but varies. Suggest in the letter that you know at least one dealer offers 7% under FWP, so you’re looking to better that. Tell them you want to buy as an Order Protected, Sold Vehicle. This will ensure the rebate offers you get will be no lower than when you sign the deal, and that the order gets entered as a priority build.

Add a note that you will finance thru FCA and are ready to buy. Finance thru them, and then do whatever you want to paynoff or refi - they will make some $ on the loan, which helps them make the deal work. Ask for the price without rebates, and then list the current offers you expect to use (eg Conquest, Regional $, etc which you can get from the RAM incentive webpage).

If you’re lucky, persistent and willing to wait, you can shoot for 14% off MSRP, and score 6% in rebates.

When it comes time to give them a deposit, they should have a piece of paper that says the deposit is refundable under what conditions, and has attached the Config Preview.

Have to say though, ordering now means you’re in for a long wait. If you can find something close on the lot, even 500mi away, you should be able to get a smashing deal. Cars.com has fairly up-to-date dealer inventories, and is a great way to search far and wide.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Remember you can get a good price on a factory order because it does not sit in their inventory costing them money 20% right now should be easy and they can do what they want with the incentives either the ones that are in when you order or the ones that are active when it comes in.
I agree that an order should be a better deal for the dealership, but it may also depend on if the dealership wants to move a particular vehicle. My wife's 2006 Honda Accord had leather with a 5 speed manual and I believe it was on the dealer lot for longer than the dealership liked and I got a great deal vs ordering.

When I sat down to do my order on my Ram the sales manager was pushing hard to give me a great deal on a similarly equipped Ram other than the color I wanted. I think the issue was that it was a Bighorn with a cloth bench seat - not the most desirable, but what I wanted.

Again I agree with an order should be a better deal for the dealership but I think there are some circumstances that does not hold true. Moving a vehicle on the lot may work better for the dealership and consumer. In my circumstances the vehicles I wanted were somewhat outliers and happened to be on the dealer lot.

To the original poster I wish you the best of luck.
I live in Staten Island and visited 8 dealerships in NJ and one on SI over time while trying to get an idea of models, options, pricing, what I wanted and was available. I was not impressed with the sales people knowledge, pricing and responses, particularly via email. This forum was a big plus in getting the correct information, particularly the tow package and the mirror fiasco.

Last edited:

UDCentaur

Reaction score
My suggestion is to have your email list what you want in the build, advise the recipient that you are shopping on price but would prefer to buy locally, if they can make it work. I would ask them for atheir best price and a Confoguration Preview, which will show all the options they are pricing into the build.

I would work from the FWP on the Cindig, essentially their “invoice” price. Usually that’s around 7% under MSRP, but varies. Suggest in the letter that you know at least one dealer offers 7% under FWP, so you’re looking to better that. Tell them you want to buy as an Order Protected, Sold Vehicle. This will ensure the rebate offers you get will be no lower than when you sign the deal, and that the order gets entered as a priority build.

Add a note that you will finance thru FCA and are ready to buy. Finance thru them, and then do whatever you want to paynoff or refi - they will make some $ on the loan, which helps them make the deal work. Ask for the price without rebates, and then list the current offers you expect to use (eg Conquest, Regional $, etc which you can get from the RAM incentive webpage).

If you’re lucky, persistent and willing to wait, you can shoot for 14% off MSRP, and score 6% in rebates.

When it comes time to give them a deposit, they should have a piece of paper that says the deposit is refundable under what conditions, and has attached the Config Preview.

Have to say though, ordering now means you’re in for a long wait. If you can find something close on the lot, even 500mi away, you should be able to get a smashing deal. Cars.com has fairly up-to-date dealer inventories, and is a great way to search far and wide.

Good luck!

Would you type in the email directly - I know the FWP and want want 7% below + rebates?

Users who are viewing this thread